MACE leg armor pics/pre-review- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

MACE leg armor pics/pre-review

so i finally replaced my wicked V-Top leg armor with the new Mace Tectonic leg. These seem to offer way better protection than the Dainese or 661, both which noticibly lack full shin protection right to the ankle and lateral knee cap protection.

Basically the calfs are fully covered, the plastic shells are relatively wide, the knee and shin bones are fully covered right down the the ankle bone, the 4 straps are properly cut to length, the knee shell is articulated from the sides not from the front, and overall the fit and finish looks really good and feels comfortable. I tried them against the Dainese and 661 in the store, both of which look really unispired compared to these, and dont provide nearly as much protection. Price was 100$cnd.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    where'd ya get those? i need to get some shinpads...

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smelly
    where'd ya get those? i need to get some shinpads...
    my lbs. The pad stuff is really new, theres not even a website yet. I think its somehow affiliated to Norco though (if not directly) since their gloves and cloathing is mentioned in Norcos news section. I dont know what their availabilty is at all.

their jerseys are really nice too. Cant wait to see what stuff they're gonna be comming out with.

Mar 2004
    Looks hot!

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    wow...those sure look nice. Keep us posted on how they work out?

I have some mace ingnition shorts and love them. Mace makes great stuff!!

www.macegear.com is their new web site!

Removed at birth
    Zedro,

Those are some skinny white canadian legs! The winter has not been kind to you. I was bummed to see that there is not a single US distributor yet. I love the look of the jerseys and gloves! Let me know when you become a distributor, and I'll throw tons of business your way from So Cal.
    Peace out! War In!

Jan 2004
    Weyvoless: Go to any LBS that has a QBP account and they can order you some Mace gear, they have all the stuff in stock. They should order it for you even if they are not a dealer (if they are a good shop).

Removed at birth
    Cool. Thanks Lee. I'm getting tired of wearing the same old Fox and Oakley stuff.
    Peace out! War In!

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Weyvoless

Those are some skinny white canadian legs! .
    hey i'm a tall guy and chicken legs (as a ridemonkey so kindly put it) runs in the family!

Jan 2004
    I'm thinking about trying those new Mace guards myself, my 661 4X4's are just beat to hell. They withstood 2 seasons of riding and jumping so I think I got my $30 worth out of them (gotta love JensonUSA).

I am kinda torn though, I really like the Roach RF guards and the new 661's look nice. But those Mace one seem to offer a lot of protection but might still breath alright.

zedro: do you think they will vent very well in the summer? I'm going to be forced to ride in 100+ weather in the summer so venting is very important.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee W.
    zedro: do you think they will vent very well in the summer? I'm going to be forced to ride in 100+ weather in the summer so venting is very important.
    heres a cut n paste answer (cus i'm lazy) for the same question on ridemonkey:

the neoprene (well they call it foam, doesnt feel like neoprene either) is perforated (vented) and not dense at all, the whole thing is very light. From just wearing them in the house, my poly pants feel warmer but i'll have to see on the trails with my RNH pants for a real test. The impression that i get is that it should be cooler than the Roach Indy (and its various clones of the same style). The Roach DH look good from their site, havent seen any for real though so i couldnt make a comparison. I dont expect heat to be a real issue as much as a full wrap around style is concerned. But if your into minimalist padding, then these wont be for you.

i cant say much about 100deg weather, it just doesnt get that hot here, although we are more intolerant of heat tho.

Jan 2004

i got

i have the mace jacket n back protevtor n they r nice. i can't wate to try out the leg protectors. my 661s don't fit to great.

Feb 2006
    Sorry to drag up an old post...

I'm thinking about these myself at the moment. How have they held up over time and have you done much pedalling in them?

So a long term review? They seem to have been very significantly changed for 2007.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by energetix
    Sorry to drag up an old post...

I'm thinking about these myself at the moment. How have they held up over time and have you done much pedalling in them?

So a long term review? They seem to have been very significantly changed for 2007.
    everybody I know have always loved stuff from Mace....top notch stuff....go for it
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Feb 2006
    Only asking opinions because I don't really want to go through half a dozen to find the right one.
    My nearest LBS is 3hrs drive & they don't even stock any

fear this
    Being a motorcycle rider as well, I've found that you can get really good protection from your local motorcycle shop (LMS, I guess). Icon Gear makes a really good chest/back protector which is super lightweight and not nearly as expensive as some MTB dedicated stuff: http://www.motostrano-store.com/icfiarve.html

I've also got a Joe Rocket Riot jacket that I use for DH around here on the Shore. Thor makes a bunch of really good off-road gear as well which is totally useful for mountain bikers. http://www.motostrano-store.com/thorprotection.html
    Norco Torrent FS
    Devinci Ollie
    Commencal Meta HT AM chromoly

Feb 2006
    My local moto store isn't that great, but could check out the one in the bigger town (going away for the weekend). Thanks for the tip.

Feb 2006
    Mace again...
    The top strap in that pic with his leg bent - it looks like the strap sits behind the knee - in the part where you bend the leg. That looks like it would not be very good for pedalling at all! Skin would chafe pretty quickly I reckon unless the strap was super soft.

Feb 2006
    I have those exact SGs and love them.........but, they slip a hell of alot

May 2006
    I have had some for about 6 months.

I don't have any others to compare to but in my opinion they are very good. I have done a lot of pedalling and they rub a little behind the knee but thats all. They are comfortable and offer very good protection for the front and back of the legs as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Had a set. Liked the articulating knee but because the straps went around padding they were prone to major slippage, they were also quite hot.

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    Had a set. Liked the articulating knee but because the straps went around padding they were prone to major slippage, they were also quite hot.
    that's an issue I woudn't have thought of. The 2007 is looking very similar to the fox launch pad design - with the cross strap and have a larger knee cup. I like the look of the current model though & if I wen't for it that's the one I would be getting.

http://www.macegear.com/protection/index.php?id=34

Simple choices can be so hard when you want to get something right from the start!