Lycra saddles, not popular...- Mtbr.com

Jul 2009

Lycra saddles, not popular...

Hey Guys,

I'm fairly new to the world of mountain biking and would like to know why Lycra covered saddles aren't popular amongst riders?

Thanks...

Oct 2007
    because they'd tear in about 5 minutes.. simple durability reason.

mtbr member
    http://www.tri-zone.com/Details.html?cat=70&item=DSSCV

This one lasted me quite a while and has been on different saddles on different bikes.
    Whenever I get a new saddle, if its not as comfortable as i like, this will make it better. Even on nice fitting saddles..it just makes it another tad better.

Once its on. its a like a second skin on the seat, not the usual ugly looking mess. Fits most racing saddles. But once saddle length is >28cm then yes thats stretching it a bit and make a tear come easier.

mtbr member
    Why do you need another layer of padding? You have got your ass, your shorts - padding on the saddle is redundant.

You also want to be able to slide back and forth on the saddle when climbing and descending.

Jul 2009
    Thanks for your responses guys. Do appreciate it.. Personally I wasn't to interested in getting one for myself but rather a question as to why it isn't that popular. I guess it comes down to a personal taste..

Members who have read this thread: 0