• 07-12-2009
    Loudnoize
    Lycra saddles, not popular...
    Hey Guys,

I'm fairly new to the world of mountain biking and would like to know why Lycra covered saddles aren't popular amongst riders?

Thanks...
  • 07-12-2009
    tomsmoto
    because they'd tear in about 5 minutes.. simple durability reason.
  • 07-12-2009
    anvil_den
    http://www.tri-zone.com/Details.html?cat=70&item=DSSCV

This one lasted me quite a while and has been on different saddles on different bikes.
    Whenever I get a new saddle, if its not as comfortable as i like, this will make it better. Even on nice fitting saddles..it just makes it another tad better.

Once its on. its a like a second skin on the seat, not the usual ugly looking mess. Fits most racing saddles. But once saddle length is >28cm then yes thats stretching it a bit and make a tear come easier.
  • 07-12-2009
    Broccoli
    Why do you need another layer of padding? You have got your ass, your shorts - padding on the saddle is redundant.

You also want to be able to slide back and forth on the saddle when climbing and descending.
  • 07-12-2009
    Loudnoize
    Thanks for your responses guys. Do appreciate it.. Personally I wasn't to interested in getting one for myself but rather a question as to why it isn't that popular. I guess it comes down to a personal taste..