Lycra or Baggies

Printable View

  • 01-06-2006
    elmadaleno
    Lycra or Baggies
    Hey people, I just thought I would ask what my countrymen are using these days. Personally I changed over to baggies and never looked back (thank god).

    While I am on it, what are your favorite baggies and where did you get them?

    Cheers,

    Elmadaleno
  • 01-06-2006
    Warp
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by elmadaleno
    Hey people, I just thought I would ask what my countrymen are using these days. Personally I changed over to baggies and never looked back (thank god).

    While I am on it, what are your favorite baggies and where did you get them?

    Cheers,

    Elmadaleno

    Baggies here too... lycra is only for racing (or gayish-ego-trips :D )

    Mine are a pair of Raramuri's I got from Viansy. Nice short. Just nice, no bells and whistles.

    I also use a pair of normal shorts with some Pace lycras underneath. The Pace are relatively cheap (around 300-400 for the most economic model) and last long and very comfortable, but then I like them tight.

    However, I would like tighter fitting baggies... it bugs me to get stuck with the saddle while moving my rear "rearer". Flapping at over 40kmh (28mph) is annoying too. My helmet visor flaps a little over 50kmh... it distracts me. ;)
  • 01-06-2006
    tigerdog
    I'd like to say baggies, but I haven't found a decent pair yet. My last ones were Fox and they started to fall apart after 6 months. I've heard good things about Oakleys.

    I have a nice pair of Castelli lycras and wear thin regular shorts over the top.

    I've got to say for epic all dayers the lycra shorts win out in comfort. Still hate the way they look though.
  • 01-06-2006
    bajamtnbkr
    I also like baggies, in fact I just order a pair last night, but I also use lycra under regular shorts. For long rides I make sure I have my favorite baggies. Either one must have good padding.
  • 01-06-2006
    rzozaya1969
    I'm using just plain bermudas. I have some Nike's that works nice. I've used some baggies with padding (Raramuri). My BFA get's sore on that, but on the standard bermudas they work fine. I've also used blue jeans, and I sorta liked them.
  • 01-06-2006
    triphop
    I wear lycras under shorts... tennis specific shorts I think. I usually look for some nike shorts wich are kinda long (they cover my knees while standing) but a bit thight so they dont flap all over the place... works for me. I just couldnt go out in public wearing lycras... Im a grower not a shower!!!
  • 01-06-2006
    tigerdog
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by triphop
    Im a grower not a shower!!!

    Hey, if you've got it, flaunt it!
  • 01-06-2006
    triphop
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tigerdog
    Hey, if you've got it, flaunt it!

    hey have u been spying on me? jajaajaja
    ese cabron esta mas feo que la chingada, no jodas
  • 01-06-2006
    elmadaleno
    Personally I have to say I love baggies but I have yet to find a pair as confortable as my lycras. My best solution has been to use a "Surfer" stile pair of trunks with my trusty lycras below. (this should work for your Warp speeds Warp!)

    Hopefully someone has tried a pair of baggies that won't bunch up and that has decent padding...
  • 01-06-2006
    elmadaleno
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by tigerdog
    Hey, if you've got it, flaunt it!

    Tigerdog: thats a very good picture of you man!
  • 01-06-2006
    Warp
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by elmadaleno
    Personally I have to say I love baggies but I have yet to find a pair as confortable as my lycras. My best solution has been to use a "Surfer" stile pair of trunks with my trusty lycras below. (this should work for your Warp speeds Warp!)

    Hopefully someone has tried a pair of baggies that won't bunch up and that has decent padding...

    Nice idea... commonly those are rugged too (to withstand the salty water)

    I guess that's maybe the best compromise.
  • 01-06-2006
    ritopc
    .. more baggies
    Baggies as well… I’ve tried some Raramuries, they can be pretty bad or pretty decent for the price that’s it. Personally I prefer them short, like and inch or two above the knee, and kinda fitting, not too tight not too loose. What I dislike the most in baggies are the cargo pockets, they just get stuck in everything; from tree branches to handlebars (how the hell that happens… dunno), above that, putting anything on a cargo pocket while riding is annoying and noisy.

    My favourite baggies are an old pair of Pearl Izumi I bought a couple of years ago…. yep they have last a long while. Not too much padding, yet very comfortable (putting too much or too few padding are common mistakes I guess). The fabric is great and does not rub nor gets stuck in the saddle or tree branches. They are just great… and they weren’t even expensive (probably like 35 bucks tax included when I bought them). The other pair that I like is an old Raramuri’s; great fabric, great fit, great look and very comfortable. Not being breathable the only shortcoming. They’ve also withstood some hard abuse so can’t complain (bought them 3+ years ago).

    And yep, buying a good pair of baggies might be a matter of luck, I’ve failed more times than succeed, but think I’ve nailed what kind of baggies I like (my wallet wish).

    Keep ride, I’ll join you soon


    Cheers
  • 05-17-2006
    csbueno
    Baggies, lycra looks geeky, like "im too serius about this", and really, they look ridiculous. BUT its worth mentioning that I always use lycra under my baggies,
  • 05-17-2006
    anteopolis
    Ah pues... ambas.

    En carreras, rutas en carretera o entrenamientos duros prefiero licras por la libertad de movimiento; no obstante, para todo lo demas prefiero baggies. Mi par favorito son una Raramuri compradas al Raramuri Mayor, en Cuemanco.:thumbsup: .Y tambien recurro al clsico baggie-simple-con licra, porque digo, he de aprovechar las 5 licras que tengo no?

    En salidas con la SS o cuando me siento con ganas de arriesgar un mucho en las bajadas opto por licras y un jean recortado justo debajo de rodilla.

    Saludos! :)
  • 05-17-2006
    apadilla
    Try the Oakleys
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by elmadaleno
    Personally I have to say I love baggies but I have yet to find a pair as confortable as my lycras. My best solution has been to use a "Surfer" stile pair of trunks with my trusty lycras below. (this should work for your Warp speeds Warp!)

    Hopefully someone has tried a pair of baggies that won't bunch up and that has decent padding...


    Try the Oakleys you wont regret it, theyre a little bit expensive but worth it, on line you can find them at Pricepoint and in 3 days you will have it delivered to your door, Pricepoint uses UPS and is expensive too, add to that the taxes and youll be coming to $ 140 US, aprox, better ask someone going to the States that buy them for you.
  • 05-17-2006
    elmadaleno
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by apadilla
    Try the Oakleys you wont regret it, theyre a little bit expensive but worth it, on line you can find them at Pricepoint and in 3 days you will have it delivered to your door, Pricepoint uses UPS and is expensive too, add to that the taxes and youll be coming to $ 140 US, aprox, better ask someone going to the States that buy them for you.

    Sounds good, do they have a liner or do you use your own lycras below? I took off the liner of my Fox shorts and life is good, but I'd like to try something else.

    Thanks

    Mada
  • 05-17-2006
    apadilla
    They do
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by elmadaleno
    Sounds good, do they have a liner or do you use your own lycras below? I took off the liner of my Fox shorts and life is good, but I'd like to try something else.

    Thanks

    Mada

    Yes, they do have a liner, they fit well, you wear them and forget about them.