Lycra- Mtbr.com

Thread: Lycra

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Smile Lycra

Noob here. Can i ride in shorts and a t-shirt or do i have to wear lycra?

the police will take your bicycle license away if you ride a bike without lycra on. and you can be ticketed if its not tight enough.

believe it. its happened to me.

mtbr member
    You can ride in whatever you want. Just be careful of what your clothes can snag on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thats exactly what i thought nomit.You have to watch those bears in the woods.
    Peace bro

mtbr member
    What you probably want to do is get some padded bike shorts and just wear whatever you want over top. The bike shorts can literally save your ass on long rides. But otherwise...there are no rules saying you have to wear lycra....unless you ride a carbon fiber bike. Riding carbon fiber with less than 75% lycra coverage will cause your frame to explode...or is it implode...I can never remember.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Your call dude....

I personally let where I ride determine the whole thing. I've ridden trails where nice skin tight cycling shorts were almost a must. Tight trails with brambles and wait a minute vines and the like made anything baggy almost impossible to ride in. Otherwise, baggies with a good padded liner work well and are a bit more modest if that worries you. I usually switch over to lycra when the dog days hit. Baggies, even very good ones, are just too hot when the humidity and temps start topping the 80s and 90s. As for should you wear just regular shorts etc. Only if your butt, taint and neuticals are made of cast iron!, or you only ride short distances. The longer the ride the worse beating that region of your body will take. Padded lycra shorts and baggies with padded liners have the much welcome property of being mouisture wicking. The move persperation from the skin to the outer layers of the material to keep your butt drier and greatly reduce chaffing.

Like I said, your call. But if you ride an hour or more at a time, I'd highly recommend a good pair of padded cycling shorts. Lycra, baggy, or lycra with the shorts of your choice over them, all work fine. But regular shorts with regular underwear or commando! I shudder just at the thought!

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    you have to wear lycra.

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster
    What you probably want to do is get some padded bike shorts and just wear whatever you want over top. The bike shorts can literally save your ass on long rides. But otherwise...there are no rules saying you have to wear lycra....unless you ride a carbon fiber bike. Riding carbon fiber with less than 75% lycra coverage will cause your frame to explode...or is it implode...I can never remember.

A tshirt is fine, but as Nubster said, I would highly recommend getting some lycra riding shorts to wear under whatever baggy shorts you choose. The close fitting synthetic material prevents a lot of chafing that would occur riding in regular shorts and underwear, and the padding adds additional protection from chafing, some comfort from simply being padded, and it makes a smoother transition downtown to prevent dangly bits from getting snagged or stuffing from getting stuffed by the nose of the saddle. It also disguises sharts better.

Awww CRAP!
    Mar 2010
    I was riding in reg shorts and a t-shirt up until this week. I'm a new rider as well and after 3-4 rides in baggy shorts I opted to go for some tighter padded ones. Not only am I tired of having a sore ass after riding the rocky, root infested trails in New England but their were several occasions when I needed to shift my weight to the rear coming down a rock face or steep hill and the crotch of my baggy shorts snagged on the front of my saddle. One time it ripped my shorts and another it caused me to almost take a trip over the bars..

I bought lycra shorts but i may try to find some shorts to wear over them that are less baggy than the ones I was wearing... Cotton shorts are also not very durable. As far as the T-shirt I've ripped two of mine when they snagged trees as I was passing, so I'll be buying some tighter shirts too....
    2010 Stumpjumper FSR Expert

meow meow
    what if its a mojo hd?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    what if its a mojo hd?
    In that case it requires 85% Lycra to prevent implosion. I remembered that lack of Lycra causes implosion and getting water on a carbon bike causes explosion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FacePlantinNewB
    I was riding in reg shorts and a t-shirt up until this week. I'm a new rider as well and after 3-4 rides in baggy shorts I opted to go for some tighter padded ones. Not only am I tired of having a sore ass after riding the rocky, root infested trails in New England but their were several occasions when I needed to shift my weight to the rear coming down a rock face or steep hill and the crotch of my baggy shorts snagged on the front of my saddle. One time it ripped my shorts and another it caused me to almost take a trip over the bars..

I bought lycra shorts but i may try to find some shorts to wear over them that are less baggy than the ones I was wearing... Cotton shorts are also not very durable. As far as the T-shirt I've ripped two of mine when they snagged trees as I was passing, so I'll be buying some tighter shirts too....
    I have been wear Starter brand running shorts from Wal-Mart. They are short and not too baggy, very light and made from a wicking material and have been working great as riding shorts over my biking shorts and they are not too bad looking so that if you need to stop someplace on the way to or from riding you don't need to change your shorts first.

Awww CRAP!
    Mar 2010
    I'll have to check those out.
    2010 Stumpjumper FSR Expert

Permanent Noob
    Give these a try - they should keep you from getting caught on stuff.
    I'm beginning to overcome my "momentum issues" but even that is happening slowly.

MTB Name - Crustius Maximus

meow meow
    In that case it requires 85% Lycra to prevent implosion. I remembered that lack of Lycra causes implosion and getting water on a carbon bike causes explosion.
    do you know what a mojo hd is? hint: brian lopes rides one.

mtbr member
    Yeah...it is a carbon FS frame made by Ibis that costs about $2500.

meow meow
    then you get why this is a carbon frame that calls for baggies not lycra.

mtbr member
    Nah...he is just wearing lycra under his baggies.

meow meow
    well yeah but thats a given.

BBW
    mtbr member
    what if its a mojo hd?
    Baggy and FF helmet; there's no other way

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkn
    Noob here. Can i ride in shorts and a t-shirt or do i have to wear lycra?

Normal shorts and baggies are good alternatives for those lacking "down there". They are also good for those that care what other people think.

And about t-shirts, cotton is good if you like to be drenched in sweat.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel
    Normal shorts and baggies are good alternatives for those lacking "down there". They are also good for those that care what other people think.

think
    Jul 2008
    I, personally, wear whatever the hell I want. It greatly depends on your tolerance for physical misery though I suppose, as well as duration of the ride. I stand up a LOT and thus find wearing Dickies on a two hour ride isn't so bad. For something like road bicyling where you're basically in one position the whole time proper apparel is essential.

what if its a mojo hd?
    You leave it on the roof of your late model BMW so your buddies at the law office can scope it out.

What's odd about this is you seem awfully indignant and concerned with what others think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad news
    What's odd about this is you seem awfully indignant and concerned with what others think.
    Actually I don't give a "f u c k" what people think.

I wear lycra because I don't like getting hung up on the rear of the saddle when I get over the back wheel.

PS: Where was I indignant?
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    And another thing, I am amused at the most typical reasons for asking this question.

Looks!

I know one guy that is so hung up on what helmets and lycra "look" like. Yet, this guy shaves his head and is all tatted up. What the hell does he care what people think?

OP, correct me if I am wrong, but are looks one of your concerns?
    Nobody cares...........

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    I know one guy that is so hung up on what helmets and lycra "look" like. Yet, this guy shaves his head and is all tatted up. What the hell does he care what people think?...
    why are you picking on me? ...i shave my melon 'cause i'm going bald....and i really only have 1 tattoo.....besides...i sometimes ride nekkid.....screw the lycra baggie debate....

don't make me post pics
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    why are you picking on me? .
    I'm not picking on you. I did not say everyone.

I was just pointing out an often cited reason for abhorring Lycra.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    PS: Where was I indignant?
    I don't think indignant is the correct word....douche is more fitting. I wear shorts over my biking shorts because that is what I am comfortable in...not because I care what others think or because I am lacking anything. To think otherwise is just asinine.

mtbr member
    I don't think indignant is the correct word....douche is more fitting. I wear shorts over my biking shorts because that is what I am comfortable in...not because I care what others think or because I am lacking anything. To think otherwise is just asinine.
    If you go back and carefully read what I've typed you will find I did not say this is true of everyone.

What's wrong, did I hit a nerve? You projecting?
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Just because I am hung like a hamster does not mean I am projecting.

mtbr member
    Just because I am hung like a hamster does not mean I am projecting.
    Now see, you go talking like that and everyone will think, hey guy is being modest, must be hung like a horse.
    Nobody cares...........

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Would you swim in a coat and tie? Get lycra. A full body suit is recommended.

mtbr member
    Wear whatever you want. Personally I am a fan of a$$less chaps

MTB skillz = NADA
    This thread is funny!
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

Members who have read this thread: 0