Lycra...- Mtbr.com

Thread: Lycra...

surly inbred

Lycra...

"Hi, my name's mud..... and I've gone lycra"

Scary sight be damned, I've crossed over. Looking for some advice on new shorts. Do I really need to spend $100? I would assume an 8 panel would provide a better fit. How 'bout material? I'd be comfortable throwing down $40-60 for a durable pair. Any recommendations?

Jun 2004
    You can get six panel shorts from pricepoint.com for $19.99 and they are as good as any six panel shorts I have ever used.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Performance Century Gels are decent too, also around $20 when on sale....

I'm in the process of going over to Baggy, and facing the exact same questions as you.... I've read the recent threads, so I won't be posting again, just struck me funny, the exact same issue for the exact opposite trend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    good stuff and at a decent price

http://www.voler.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Voler, Performance Elite or Ultra, Santini. All good shorts at a good price. Join the Voler email group and you get their bib shorts for $45 this month plus other monthly specials. Highly recommend bibs, no pinching at the waist, more comfy. I'd stay away from gel, like having a wad of goo under your butt and they don't tend to hold up well.

"Mr. Britannica"
    one word... BIBS

Do It Yourself

Voler is the absolute best for the money...

You can get the IMBA shorts from Voler for $35 everyday and $5 goes to support IMBA...

http://www.velowear.com/store/prodin...em=12&mitem=25

Or like someone else mentioned, sign up for the email specials and you get good deals. This month it's bibs for $45...

http://www.voler.com/joinlist.asp

Voler makes top quality kit for pro race teams. You won't find better stuff at twice the price. Voler is MUCH better gear than you'll find at PricePoint, Performance, or Nashbar.

XCdude

I like the performace ones, that cost aoround 50, sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by muddog999

Scary sight be damned, I've crossed over. Looking for some advice on new shorts. Do I really need to spend $100? I would assume an 8 panel would provide a better fit. How 'bout material? I'd be comfortable throwing down $40-60 for a durable pair. Any recommendations?
    on sale for 34 or so I have 2 pairs. I will step up to the 100.00 pearls soon, just to try them out. I do want butt comfort
    Short bucket list.
    Cape Epic
    Pioneer Epic
    Swiss Epic

surly inbred
    ty all for the good leads... supporting IMBA sounds like a good thing

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by bmateo
    Performance Century Gels are decent too, also around $20 when on sale....

I'm in the process of going over to Baggy, and facing the exact same questions as you.... I've read the recent threads, so I won't be posting again, just struck me funny, the exact same issue for the exact opposite trend.
    I've a few pairs of Performance Centuries that have lasted 6 years...for less than 20 bucks it's a deal that can't be beat.eventually the gel inside slips to one side and folds over...leaves a big squishy lump on one side. Time for replacement, though I'd expect I could just undo the stiching on one side and fix it. At that price and after all this time, replacing them seems the move.

Honestly I don't know why folks fuss about not using lycra. They breathe much better than baggies, feel more comfortable have good padding etc. I've only ripped one pair in a fall and even that was just a dime sized hole.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Complete Bastard
    I would say spend the most you can afford. The difference between the 20 dollar performance shorts and a set of 80$ pearl izumis is huge. I've got a set of PI ultrasensor shorts and they're amazing. You won't notice the difference at first, but after 4 hours you will most definitely know. Good luck.

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by muddog999

Personally I think the 35$ imba at velowear.com is just fine.

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by moab63
    on sale for 34 or so I have 2 pairs. I will step up to the 100.00 pearls soon, just to try them out. I do want butt comfort

Personally I am going to go against the grain on this one. I dont think they are worth 100$ or offer anything more than the 35$ velowear

Feb 2004

Nashbar Epics are quite nice...

The eschler chamois is fairly dense, but not diaper-thick like Euro-style ones Ive tried.

They do tend to run smallish, so Id recommend ordering one size up.

ccm
    aka Taprider

voler, sugoi and louis garneau all good

go for the heavier weight lycra - it doesn't stretch out and become see through as quickly and provides more jiggle control

Jan 2004

Hmm

What ever you do, don't wear that skin tight stuff like the "gutter bunnies" do.

mtbr member

Ditto that on the ultra-sensor...

I've got a pair of Izzumi "Attack" and "Ultrasensor's". Both are great shorts, the more expensive Ultrasensor's are more comfy though...of course. Both are bullet proof, I've had my attack shorts for three years and my ultrasensors for two years, both have withstood hundreds of washings without the least sign of wear. Good investment either way.