Looking for a thin shell glove- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Looking for a thin shell glove

Hi,

I'm looking for a thin shell that can go over glove liners. Super light and packable. The ideal material would something like a wind breaker material. I found these, which are exactly the type that I'm thinking of, but wasn't sure if there were any alternatives....

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/...tem/aq-ag3795/

Thanks!

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Going to be hard to beat 14g!

You pull those out on squall's?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    For those times when thick gloves are too much. I don't have any med weight gloves and figure these will do to solve that.

mtbr member
    I use baseball batting gloves. Close fitting, accent colors to match the bike and/or my riding apparel. Because I'm stylish.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ctxcrossx View Post
    Hi,

I'm looking for a thin shell that can go over glove liners. Super light and packable. The ideal material would something like a wind breaker material. I found these, which are exactly the type that I'm thinking of, but wasn't sure if there were any alternatives....

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/...tem/aq-ag3795/

Thanks!
    I think you're going to have a problem with durability and control of the bars/brakes/shifter with a glove like that. When riding, there's near constant abrasion on the palms and you're also at least using your index fingers and thumbs for your controls. Those will be your wear points, and without anything more durable or grippy than slippery nylon to handle that abrasion, these gloves won't last, and you'll probably get frustrated by them slipping around on your controls.

There's a reason you don't see more stuff like that. Pretty sure that's why.

Why don't you get a legit midweight glove? I've had really good results with midweight softshell gloves. My last pair were Seirus brand, I think xc ski gloves. I've used them for a lot of years, and they're showing their age. I tend to put them on when my summer long-fingered gloves are too much in the 30's or 40's, and wear them down to about 20F, when I put the thinner gloves back on, and use pogies to keep my hands warm. I saw some Castelli softshell gloves made for 'cross that caught my eye about a year ago. A little more expensive than the Seirus softshell gloves I've been using, but I'd expect more durable palms and fingertips being made for riding.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Pearl Izumi makes some good winter and fall/spring gloves of different weights. My favorites are their light weight ones that have no insulation, but have wind-blocker material on the front side of the fingers/glove.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.