Looking for some clothing.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Looking for some clothing.

I am looking for a nice pair of riding shorts and some clipless shoes. The shoes need to be compatible with: CRANK BROS CANDY C CLIPLESS peddles. If you have any suggestions let me know.

Jan 2004
    As long as the cleats fit the shoes the most you may have to do is trim a bit of tread, but I've never had problem with shoes/tread and my Time pedals. They have pretty much the same retention system as the crank bros.

Try llbean for shoes...or any good bike shop as you really should try them on before buying as sizes vary with mfr.

Former Bike Wrench
    Any SPD mountain shoe (which covers basically all clipless pedal compatible shoes...except some road models) will work with the Crank Bros pedals. As suggested above, go to a shop and try some different brands on before buying. Like other athletic shoes, fit varies from brand to brand. Also, keep in mind that cycling shoes are generally designed for cycling. Walking around in them is not going to tell you how they'll feel on the bike. Make sure they don't have any pressure points and a secure heel cup. Try them on with a thin cycling sock as well.

Common brands are Shimano, Specialized, SIDI, Diadora, Addidas, and Lake

Mar 2006
    Since they've covered shoes pretty well I won't cover that.

What were you looking for in the way of shorts? There's two kinds. Baggies with a padded inner layer and the "bare" lycra padded shorts that are real form fitting.

I personally have a pair of Specialized BG Pro shorts that are the latter that I wear under a pair of shorts or pants.

The tips I have to you are:

-Like with all cycling apparel TRY THEM ON BEFORE YOU BUY. What fits great more me may not fit well for you.

-Check the padding. Is it the right amount for you? Is the padding the right shape for you? Is it padding all of the right places? Every brand is different.

-While you can't really check how well a pair of shorts is going to wick moisture away in the store do look at the shorts and see if there is wicking or not. Are they all cotton (a no no)? Do they say anything about wicking on the package?

-Make sure you buy a pair of shorts for your gender. Sounds silly but men and women's bike shorts are made with different cuts. Usually a longer waist and smaller waistband in the women's shorts. Also I'm told that men's shorts are generally longer then women's shorts.

-Also don't wear underwear with cycling shorts.

Here's some common brands of shorts to get you started:
    Specialized, Fox, Azonic, Oakley, Pearl Izumi

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Head to a local bike shop and try stuff on. It won't be the cheapest way to buy gear, but at least you know that what you buy will fit, and if you haven't worn anything you can always return it for a different size if necessary.

If you have a Performance Bike around you should be able to try on varying sizes from different brands (including theirs) and not spend a ton of money.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks all for the replies, but the problem I am going to have is that I am stationed in Korea and there are not that many good bike shops around. I would really like to just buy online but as everyone already said you kinda need to try on the stuff first before you buy. Is there any recommendations on how to buy this stuff without trying them on first? I realize that it is not the preferred way do to it but it may be my only option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cshoing
    Thanks all for the replies, but the problem I am going to have is that I am stationed in Korea and there are not that many good bike shops around. I would really like to just buy online but as everyone already said you kinda need to try on the stuff first before you buy. Is there any recommendations on how to buy this stuff without trying them on first? I realize that it is not the preferred way do to it but it may be my only option.
    Try some of the clothing manufacturer's websites for size charts. Then get out your measuring tape

pronounced may-duh
    Sidi makes great shoes
    Pearl Izumi makes fantastic shorts

Both are expensive but you get what you pay for.

The fit is important so either try before you buy or order from a place that has a good return policy.

Members who have read this thread: 0