looking for shoes - stiff, traction, light, wide toebox, low volume- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

looking for shoes - stiff, traction, light, wide toebox, low volume

Having spent a lifetime in ski boots I know my feet: low volume, low arch, narrow heel, wide forefoot. Narrow toes kill me.

Currently I ride the Giro Gauge in reg width; they fit me but they have not held up well and the soles are too slippery, and the cleats don't slide far enough back.

Criteria: under 800g/pair, somewhat stiff, rubbery sole for off bike traction, rearward cleat mount, under $170.

I've tried these on,
    • Giro Terradura: fits me ok but too heavy
    • Shimano SH-M162: too heavy and heel feels loose.
    • Shimano SH-M200: toes too narrow, enduro features are overkill for me.
    • Specialized Rime Elite: toes too narrow
    • Bontranger Rhythm MTB: toes too narrow
    • Pearl Izumi X-project: poor fit

Based on my current shoes the Giro Code VR70 look good, but too much $$.

Going to try the Shimano SH-M163 in the hope that the toes are a bit stretchier than the SH-M200.

Suggestions?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My shimano MT34 weigh 840gr a pair, with CB cleats on them.
    Pretty roomy on the front, and stiff. Love them.
    I have somewhat wide feet. The sizing is good too on the website, size 45 for 10.5 US.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks. The shimano SH-M163 did the trick for me. One ride in and I'm happy with the fit, stiffness, and traction. I'm loving the rearward cleat mount option since I was maxed out on my Giros and it still wasn't back far enough for my taste.

One note, the SH-M200 is allegedly made on the same last, but I found the toe narrower. Maybe something to do with the construction or materials. Subtle difference but significant to my sensitive toes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Could try mavic. Pretty wide toe box on their alpine shoes I own. Wouldn't call them super stiff, or light, but what do you expect for 90 bucks, I'd assume some of the more expensive models would have all your boxs checked.

Another shoe I really wanted to buy was the pearl izumi alps enduro, fit nice, and looked like it had great grip, unfortunately I had just bought the mavic shoes.

I don't have wide wide feet, but run in barefoot shoes so my feet are on the edge of being wide, and I like a shoe that let's my toes splay out a bit.

Come on, dare me!
    Quote Originally Posted by barcolounger View Post
    Thanks. The shimano SH-M163 did the trick for me. One ride in and I'm happy with the fit, stiffness, and traction. I'm loving the rearward cleat mount option since I was maxed out on my Giros and it still wasn't back far enough for my taste.

One note, the SH-M200 is allegedly made on the same last, but I found the toe narrower. Maybe something to do with the construction or materials. Subtle difference but significant to my sensitive toes.
    I bought a pair of SH-M163 lately and am surprised of the fit, especially heel retention and overall comfort. I'm used to ride Sidis and have a pair of Sidi Drako (in fluo yellow!!!) which have an adjustable heel retention system which is great, but they are slippery when you're not clipped in because of the full carbon sole. The Shimanos are almost as stiff, more hike-friendly and keep my foot stable and comfy… for about $300 less. The only downside is that they are pretty ugly and a bit wide so they sometimes rub on my right crank but even so, these are now my go-to shoes for anything except pure road rides.

mtbr member

I was looking at these as well. You said the Toe box is spacey? I want the narrow heel but my little toes kind of stick out..so narrow toe boxes do not work for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Demofied View Post
    I was looking at these as well. You said the Toe box is spacey? I want the narrow heel but my little toes kind of stick out..so narrow toe boxes do not work for me.
    The toe box feels a little wider than other similar shoes I tried.

mtbr member
    The toe box feels a little wider than other similar shoes I tried.
    They'll be here tomorrow. Fingers crossed. This will be the third pair I've tried. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    You described my foot to a T, and I ended up with the SH-M163 as well, best feeling shoe I have owned so far. Now I am looking for an affordable platform shoe with similar fit, but not wanting to spend $130+.

mtbr member
    Meh, heel was too loose on the M163. I had tried some Louis Garneau's Tflex LS100..and they fit PERFECT, except for the toe was too narrow..=/ The search continues I guess.

mtbr member
    Have you tried Sidi? Their half sizes have more room in the toe box area. The sole is the same length as the full size. Just go up half size. I just picked up a pair of the Dominator Fit on sale for under 150.00.

The ratchets on Sidis are so smooove...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I like a wide tox box on my shoes and I purchased a pair of mavic alpine xl's. They are a bit of a struggle to get on, but they are very comfortable once on.

I run mine with flats and they would be the perfect shoe for me if they did not have cleat cut outs and came in a color other than white.