Looking for shoes with more ankle support- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

Looking for shoes with more ankle support

Can anyone recommend some new clipless shoes that offer a bit more ankle support? Sort of like a mid length, instead of the normal low tops. Kinda like a hiking boot I guess. I dont know if they make them, as I have not seen them, but they would be nice to have. Thanks guys.

mtbr member
    I rode w/ high tops for 4 years after I broke my leg. It's hard to find good ones. I liked Alpinestars because they were stiff and relatively light. Most high tops are "recreational" and not stiff enough. I think Lake makes a high top as well as Sidi, but for someone worried about breaking their ankle/leg, I wouldn't recommend slick-bottomed Sidis.

If you're not so much looking for support as protection, I could sell you some 661 ankle biters that I bought and did not like.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    If you didn't want clipless, I'd suggest 661 Dually. (I've been using the older AXO version, I'll be replacing them with the 661 this year.)

https://www.vsportgroup.com/gear/shoe_dually.html

Shoe companies used to make high top clipless shoes for DH racing, but I'm not sure who is making them now.

Go-ride sells the Adidas Hematoma

https://www.go-ride.com/prod_armor_adidas.html

Just took a look at the Lake site, and they make a high top for law enforcement.

https://www.lakecycling.com/mx151.html

They also make another couple of high tops SPD shoes.
    https://www.lakecycling.com/adventure.html

suck it trebeK
    This may be a little extreme, and I think it may be for cooler weather riding...

Lake MXZ 300

Mar 2004
    If you don't have luck with the shoes, you might talk to someone that is in to taping. You could tape your ankle to support it. I don't know the exact technique but it can't be that hard to do.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua_msu
    Can anyone recommend some new clipless shoes that offer a bit more ankle support? Sort of like a mid length, instead of the normal low tops. Kinda like a hiking boot I guess. I dont know if they make them, as I have not seen them, but they would be nice to have. Thanks guys.

TNC
    noMAD man

I like these.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua_msu
    We ride in rocks and cactus around my home area, plus I'm an older rider who comes from a dirt motorcycle background. I usually want more protection than what most cyclists are used to. These AXO Decents were the best shoes I've had, and I've had several styles and types over the years. I don't think AXO makes them anymore, but I occasionally see them on sale from different vendors. I bought 3 pair of these for insurance. Though they appear that they would be overly stiff, they still have enough flexibility for easy pedaling while still providing rigidity and protection. They're fairly durable too. I've had that pair in the pic for 2 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mar 2004
    Thanks for the help guys. I like those AXO's. Im gunna see if I can find em anywhere. Otherwise im gunna just have to buy some platforms and use my hiking boots till my ankle heals up fully. I never thought of taping, but that would prolly work well too.

mtbr member

the taping is easy

i used to tape my ankle for support when i was skate boarding ....it is easy and after a couple of sports medicine classes i discovered that i had it right all along ...

i'm sure if you ask the guys in the training forum they would post a link ...

it helps to see it done
    belive me thats how i learned i had it done to my ankles and knees and wrists and more ...

also beyandbikes.com and a whole bunch of the dh fr suppliers are selling 661 and a couple of other brands of ankle armour ...
    ______
    "thirty spokes converge upon a wheel but it is the hole in the center that enables it to be used"

Apr 2004

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Trying to release Time ATACs with a sprained ankle while crashing in a rock garden! Ah, memories...

My vote is to run flats with hiking boots for a while. If you really miss being clipped in maybe go back when the ankle heals. Being on flats reduces strain on the ankle while you're riding too.

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, I discovered it is harder to clip out of your pedals in hightops. I think because the shoe is cinched-up more around your ankle than the top of your foot, so the twisting motion necessary to clip out gets lost inside the shoe. I thought for years that my ankle was just too weak to clip out reliably after the break, but finally (Duh) I realized my other foot was harder to clip out too. That's why I finally went back to normal shoes.

Jan 2004
    Add ankle support on to your existing sports shoes.

661 brace

mtbr dismember

Shimano SH-MO58

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    I think that is the same model of shoe JimC is using for his trail bike. Maybe he'll reply to this thread with a review.