Looking for platform shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Looking for platform shoes

I've had a few people tell me about the 5-10's. What do you platform riders like to wear and where did you buy them?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Everyone will tell you to just go with the 5.10's. Here is a thread from not too long ago asking the exact same question as you.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=shoes

All that being said, it depends on you. If you come from a clipless background, then the 5.10's will feel great. I have been riding flats for over 30 years now, with a few years of clipless as well. I had a pair of 5.10's for awhile, and for me they are too stiff and too sticky. I like Vans or AirWalks with stitched rands and padded uppers. They have a more flexible sole that lets me grab the pedal with my foot (at least it feels like I can). With the 5.10's I feel like I'm on 2x4s. Also with the 5.10's you almost have to lift your foot off the pedal to reposition your stance, where with the skate shoes I can go from a springier pedal forward stance to a more solid centered stance quickly. This may be seen by most people as a detriment, but for me it works out the best, especially if you have descent pedals.

Like I said, most people rave about the 5.10's, and they probably will be your best bet, but everyone is different and it's up to you to decide for your self. Too bad you didn't ask this about a year ago, when I sold mine for dirt cheap.

.G.
    Last edited by mountainflow; 10-10-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Pivotal figure
    Both Cactus and Rage have 5.10's in stock so you can check them out and see how they feel. There are multiple versions available now so you can have a stiffer sole or a more flexible one like the old school Van's. They do take a couple of rides to get used to though, the grip is just as unreal as everyone says. I have a pair of Impact's (Sam Hill model) and a pair of the Freerider's. I use the Hill's for trail and DH riding (more cushion) and the Freerider's for jumping, pumptrack and BMX. They're also really nice as everyday shoes
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    Both Cactus and Rage have 5.10's in stock so you can check them out and see how they feel. There are multiple versions available now so you can have a stiffer sole or a more flexible one like the old school Van's. They do take a couple of rides to get used to though, the grip is just as unreal as everyone says. I have a pair of Impact's (Sam Hill model) and a pair of the Freerider's. I use the Hill's for trail and DH riding (more cushion) and the Freerider's for jumping, pumptrack and BMX. They're also really nice as everyday shoes
    where's cactus and rage??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roc865
    where's cactus and rage??
    Cactus
    Rage

Pivotal figure
    Sorry, just get stuck in the Phoenix only world sometimes Kinda forget that this is the AZ forum and it's a big state...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Members who have read this thread: 0