Looking for long term reviews on Adidas Terrex Solo/Trail Cross and Giro Jackets- Mtbr.com
    Dave's not here.

Looking for long term reviews on Adidas Terrex Solo/Trail Cross and Giro Jackets

I have read through the posts that contain these shoes, but no long term reviews on them. If you have any long term experience in these shoes, I am very interested in reading some feedback. I am going to be trying out platform pedals for the first time and would like a decent shoe to go with them. I am not looking for info on 5.10s at all, so please don't comment about them. Thanks!
    Yo no hablo inglÚs

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Not sure I can give you much info. Although I've had the Terrex Solo for almost a year now, I've only used them on 2, maybe 3 rides a week for only about 5-6 months. Colder fall months, and early spring here I've used hiking boots.

But, been holding up fine so far. I get marks from the pins on the soles, but they seem to disappear once off the bike a while. No issues, no problems.

Anything in particular that's worrying you?

Dave's not here.
    Thanks for the reply. I guess ultimately I wanted to know how the soles hold up to the pins on the pedals. I appreciate the feedback on the Solos because that's the shoe I am leaning towards. I'd probably go the same route you did for the colder months.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Not sure I can give you much info. Although I've had the Terrex Solo for almost a year now, I've only used them on 2, maybe 3 rides a week for only about 5-6 months. Colder fall months, and early spring here I've used hiking boots.

But, been holding up fine so far. I get marks from the pins on the soles, but they seem to disappear once off the bike a while. No issues, no problems.

Anything in particular that's worrying you?
    Yo no hablo inglÚs

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I have no visible damage at all to the soles from the pins. There might be the odd circle impression left here and there, but that's it. There are a lot of those when I first get off the bike, but most disappear after the shoes sit a while.

No huge gouges or tears though.

Dave's not here.
    Thanks again for replying. I really appreciate your feedback. One more question, if you don't mind. How stiff are the soles? I have read that the stiffness isn't really that huge of a deal, but still curious to know.

I am sure I will be fine with the Solos. My riding style is mainly XC with some technical and no realbig jumps, drops, etc.
    Yo no hablo inglÚs

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    They feel plenty stiff to me. Maybe stiffer than the 5.10's I have.

Dave's not here.
    Thanks again, rufus. I ended up picking up a pair of Solos and going to use them with Saint pedals.
    Yo no hablo inglÚs

Snow Dog
    I have been interested in these as well...are you referencing the hiking shoe or the approach shoe for the reviews?
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I've also got the Swift Solo and like them a lot. They are fairly stiff and showing no signs of wear on the bottom.

Dave's not here.
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    I have been interested in these as well...are you referencing the hiking shoe or the approach shoe for the reviews?
    I believe the ones I am referring to are the approach. Not 100% sure.
    Yo no hablo inglÚs

Dave's not here.
    Do those of you who are using the Solos get ridiculed because it's not a "bike specific" shoe?
    Last edited by MiWolverine; 05-13-2016 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Typo
    Yo no hablo inglÚs

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by MiWolverine View Post
    I believe the ones I am referring to are the approach. Not 100% sure.
    Cool. The hiking ones look a bit more "beefy" than I would think would be comfortable ona MTB, so I was thinking of the approach as well...
    Go practice. Figure it out. - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Do those of you who are using the Solos get ridiculed because it's not a "bike specific" shoe?
    I'm too old and stubborn to give a crap what anyone else thinks anymore. I think they look cool, and that's all that matters. And they work well.

Mine are the approach shoe.

And I know he gets paid to wear them, but if they're good enough for Hans Rey.........................................

mtbr member
    I own about 2 pairs of adidas terra swift, similar to those. They have awesome grip on platforms. They're the perfect hike and bike type of shoes, if you don't go clip-less.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Keyboard Warrior SuperModerator
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    I'm too old and stubborn to give a crap what anyone else thinks anymore. I think they look cool, and that's all that matters. And they work well.

Mine are the approach shoe.

And I know he gets paid to wear them, but if they're good enough for Hans Rey.........................................
    I own the same pair. The rubber is not as sticky as proper Five Tens when paired with flats, but they're good enough. I've worn these shoes for over a year. Lots of hiking, climbing, and riding. Absolutely worth the money.

The only issue is that they have a narrow toe box....

I'm slammed this week with writing up news stories, but I'll try to put together a full length review for the homepage next week.

mtbr member
    Actually, everyone that's seen mine has been super interested. Plus, Adidas created the Trailcross with biking in mind, which becomes more obvious when you check out the features (lace bungee, stiffer sole, etc). On the stiffness front, I find them to be stiffer than all of the 5.10s I've worn and just a bit stiffer than the Teva Pivots (which were a very good MTB shoe that would have been great with a stealth sole).

I've had my Solos for 2 months and they're now at the top of the platform shoe heap for me.
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck