Looking into a Helmet Camera, but am uneducated.- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Looking into a Helmet Camera, but am uneducated.

I'm looking into a Helmet Camera system for fun of course, but don't really know anything about them. Could someone provide some insight for me? I'm looking to spend around $250 for a whole system, if thats possible. I'm a computer support technition so feel free to go into technical details. Thanks guys..

IJR
    I Just Ride
    I've got a sportzshot brand, It's been great. I got the sportzshot because they had the best complete package at the time. It came with a NiMh battery pack, no messing with radio shack AA battery packs or anything like that.

It's a 380 line camera, the newer 480 line ones are supposedly better but I haven't found anyone with one yet to confirm that. I'm not a computer support technician so for all the tech info goto www.sportzshot.com. Also check out www.viosport.com, www.helmetcamera.com and www.jonescamera.com

My biggest problem is doing something with all the footage you bring home. Out of the more than 30 hours of footage I have on tape I've managed to edit about 5 minutes of video. I even sprang for Premiere 6.5 & haven't used it yet.

when you say $250 I hope you mean you already have a camcorder that you can plug it into. I'll sell you mine for $150.00, I'm not going to film anymore because at the rate I'm going it'll take me 20 years to finish editing the footage I already have.

mtbr dismember

Video how-to section

See my video how-to section. $250 will do it if you already have the camcorder. Get a high resolution unit (480 TVL). You can only put about a 5-6 minute video on the web but you can make DVD's as long as you like for TV viewing. You don't capture the whole tape, just short portions you are interested in. See: http://arnica.csustan.edu/mtbike

Jan 2004

Mini DV Recorder

I have a camcorder, but it's way to nice to take on the back of a frekin' Mountain Bike. Does anyone know if theres such a thing as a little battery powered AV pack that JUST records video/audio from the camera? That'd be pretty neat.

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Burpethead
    I have a camcorder, but it's way to nice to take on the back of a frekin' Mountain Bike.
    Why?

They are much more robust than you apparently think they are.

Does anyone know if theres such a thing as a little battery powered AV pack that JUST records video/audio from the camera? That'd be pretty neat.
    The closest thing would be a DV deck. They're about $1000.

Or you could just buy an old miniDV camcorder on ebay for a quarter of that price.

mtbr dismember

I fall on mine all the time

My camcorder is in a cheap plastic box in my pack and I've fallen on it dozens of times.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a camcorder, but it's way to nice to take on the back of a frekin' Mountain Bike. Does anyone know if theres such a thing as a little battery powered AV pack that JUST records video/audio from the camera? That'd be pretty neat.
    Not sure I follow you. Do you mean you want a camera that mounts on your helmet and records stuff to your camcorder in your camelbak? If so, any of the "lipstick" type camera attachments will work, although as far as I know, they don't usually have sound built into the helmet part. If you don't want to take your camcorder along at all, forget it. Nobody makes a little helmet mounted unit like that. Your only option in that case would be to buy another small camcorder, which may actually be a decent option. There are great miniDV camcorders out there for dang cheap these days. Canon ZR series work well and are pretty dang cheap. I love mine. (But don't waste the extra money on getting a camcorder with still picture capability unless it's high resolution. I never use mine).

Personally, I think it's worth the extra hassle of mounting a camcorder directly on your helmet rather than using a lipstick camera because the lipstick cameras don't provide image stabilization.