Looking for hooded winter cycling jacket- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Looking for hooded winter cycling jacket

I am looking for a hooded winter windproof/technical jacket for mountain bike riding.
    I checked out the showers pass rogue hoody, but the fit was to tight.
    Not able to layer underneath.
    A regular non hooded jacket would be OK to.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    What your going to want is going to depend on how you ride. Hard for us to tell you what your going to need.

There is a ton of options honestly, good softshell sums it up. But how windproof you need it depends on how much body heat you generate. One persons winter is 45F is as cold as it gets, myself so far has pushed 5F (no concern dipping to slight negatives) and many ride serious sub 0.

Ive seen people at 50F in full deep winter riding gear where Im in a hoodie and shorts.

Your not going to go wrong with any quality stuff. Gore-tex, showers pass, etc. Hell I have found my best bang for buck in UA. Found a UA Infrared Softshell (normally $200) on clearance and jumped on it. That combined with my Coldgear Infrared base layer Ive ridden near 0F this year and been insanely comfortable. First year I could tolerate below 15F. There is even a cheap one, Baleaf (cheap chinese brand on Amazon) that gets high marks. I have a couple pairs of their pants and they are awesome for the price.

Does the Showers Pass not simply come in a larger size? Dont take offense to the question and maybe it doesn't but its worth a thought. Most my clothes are 1 or 2XL. But have one Jersey thats 4XL.... cycling gear has some idiotic sizing standards, or should I say lack of standards.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

Yeah!
    I go with Columbia as much of their product is available up to 5X. I have zippered and unzippered fleece kackets, Omni-tech waterproof jackets, and a Lhotse Omni-heat interchange jacket that was the cat's ass during the four weeks that dipped into the single digits this winter. I have enough room for two fleece jackets, or lightweight puffer jacket under the Lhotse jacket, which is a puffer jacket zipped into an Omni-tech jacket with a fleece collar.

I like the Omni-heat tech so much I purchased a pair of Omni-heat hiking boots, Omni-heat snow boots, and Omni-heat glove liners to place inside my gloves, and an Omni-heat puffer jacket and Omni-heat puffer gloves for the wife. This has been the most excellent winter ever
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Endure MT500 fits the bill. 3 layer fabric with 18 000 waterproofness and 64 000 breathability, pit zips and a hood that goes over the top of your helmet. Works really well in a rain sodden Wales for 3/4 of the year!

mtbr member
    Unless you are going out in the rain steer clear of waterproof jackets and stick to windbreakers. You will get soaked with sweat no matter how good the breathability rating is. I have a soft-shell and a thin windbreaker. I prefer the soft-shell but I use the thin windbreaker a lot more because I can stuff it in my pocket. If you are bringing a pack then soft-shell, all the outdoor brands make them, just make sure that the hood goes over the helmet. My helmet wouldn't fit with a helmet under, and if there was room the helmet would be too big on me.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Elitest thrill junkie
    Most of the hoods on soft shell type jackets are very thin and fit under helmets no problem. Never had a problem with this. If it’s a thick insulated jacket like my carhart here, yeah won’t work, but that’s a rarity with the weights of stuff you use for mtb.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Class Clown
    how much are you looking to spend? goretex pro is windproof/waterproof and lightweight. it's not like wearing a rainjacket. pitzips are key to keeping cool.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    This might sound odd, but I've been using my Marmot Precip rain jacket for winter riding for years. It's super light, waterproof, windproof and surprisingly breathable. It keeps heat in but has pit and side zip vents for cooling. The hood also fits easily over a helmet, which is great when its windy. You can find them on sale for well under $100. It will also pack down very small when you need to stuff it in your pack.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Winter precipitation? I use a Kona Winter jacket - these are on close out at a killer price but they only have Large left (and the Large fits like a standard Medium). It's a technical shell and has ventilating flaps on the back but no zippered vents (besides the hand pockets). It's been great in freezing rain and wet snow as long as you don't overdress under it. The hood fits over my helmet but unless it's really pouring I don't bother as a poly skull cap or thin fleece hat under my helmet keeps my head warm and the heat I generate keeps it dry.

Winter dry? I layer as needed with a Helly Hansen Regulate jacket as the outer layer. It's basically a nylon covered fleece (warmth + windblocking) with vent zippers in the chest for temp regulation. Layering fleece and a light windbreaker (my goto combination for hiking) can do almost the same thing but this vents a bit better and the nylon is a bit more durable. I keep looking for an excuse to get the Kona softshell that is also on sale but it's not as functional.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I really love Bontrager Lithos Stormshell jacket. Great for layering. Solid wind, rain, and snow protection. Hood wraps around helmet, therefore you can combine it with warm merino headwear under the helmet if you wish. Limited availability on their web site though. Lithos Softshell was a cheaper option, but I do not see it anymore, you might also want to check their OMW softshell jacket.
    They offer free returns, you can buy and try yourself.
    Here is one review:
    Last edited by kosulin; 02-03-2018 at 03:10 PM.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    This what I use in absolutely nasty conditions.
    https://www.altitude-sports.com/prod...llll-arc-15179

Expensive.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    This what I use in absolutely nasty conditions.
    https://www.altitude-sports.com/prod...llll-arc-15179

Expensive.
    How small does that pack down?
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    And here is another Lithos review:

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Gore Bike Wear makes a bunch in windstopper that sound exactly like your asking about.

I have had one and it has been rock solid for me for 5+ years (I have an older model). Raced in at fatbike event where it started at around 30 ended up around 34 in blizzard like wind and snow for 3 hours recently did great still. Even though I was wet in the end was still warm.

example

https://www.amazon.com/Windstopper-S...FDW&th=1&psc=1
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    I just picked this up a few weeks back. I haven't ridden with it yet, and honestly haven't tried the hood over a helmet yet, but it has lots of pockets, is comfortable and loose fitting. I am not convinced it will be waterproof, but it does seem to block the wind fairly well when I have worn it outside as a test.

Performance Collins 2.0 Mountain Bike Hooded Jacket - Performance Bike
    2019 Yeti SB150
    2017 YT Jeffsy AL Two 29
    2011 Trek Rumblefish 1

mtbr member
    Marmot ROM with windstopper worked great for me in Western Alaska. On sale at some online vendors now.
    Veni vidi velo!