Looking for a helmet that is somewhat lower profile- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Looking for a helmet that is somewhat lower profile

I haven't ridden offroad in a few years and I am now just getting back into it. I decided to invest in a new helmet and so I started trying on a few basic Bell and Giro modles at a local sporting goods store.

I have a slightly larger noggin, and maybe it's just me, but it seems when I try on different helmets, they just look like they are very tall and wide on top of my head, Many of them **seem** to fit well, but just look like they are sitting very high on my head. It's almost like, instead of fitting around my head, it looks like it is sitting on top of my head.

Aside from the idea that to me it looks a little funny, I also have a genuine concern with safety as well. Is there a rule of thumb for fit, and how low or high it should sit on your head?

I was wondering if there are some brand/styles that tend to have a more narrow and low profile look to them that sit lower. I haven't seen one in person, but from pictures I have viewed online, the Six Six One brand seems to have a more streamline profile. I dunno... any other suggestions? Maybe an "Urban Assault" type helmet? Those seem to be more streamline looking, as it looks kinda like a skateboarding helmet.

Is it me or is this a pretty common issue?

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question. I'm new to this, so maybe it's just something I need to get used to on these new helmet styles.
    Last edited by Siberian; 01-18-2005 at 06:06 PM.

the wrench
    just get what fits, has lots of vents and you will like wearing it. i have found that all helmets esp. if you have a round face look huge. just get over it. well i will stand corrected the $300 giro lance edition looks nice and sleek.

besides, do trees have mirrors on them?
    do it, do it DO IT!!
    DOOOO IIIIIT!!

Jun 2004
    get a pro-tec

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Siberian
    Is it me or is this a pretty common issue?
    It's common for the excessively vain.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

otbmbc.com
    Dec 2004
    I, too, am just getting back into mountain biking. Helmets looked different in the early 80s/late 90's. They were mostly covered in stretchy cloth material. I was used to that. I hadn't payed any attention to the "fashion" of our sport until recently.

When I first saw what the helmets looked like now-a-days, I thought they looked "weird", but now I think they are pretty cool.

Remember, get what feels good and fits. You'll find out soon enough how uncomfortable a bad fitting helmet can be... the hard way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bob
    It's common for the excessively vain.
    Vanity and self consciousness are two different things.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I do not like how high cut most helmets are either. My favorite is the Giro Semi. Fits me great and covers much more of my head than the "usual" lid. Retail is just $50, too.

I did have occasion to "use" one of my Semis last week. Worked well as my forehead was whipped into the ground as I endoed over a log at speed.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    i also have a large dome, and the giro xen was the only helmet i found that didn't fit like it was sitting too high on my head.

ant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    i also have a large dome, and the giro xen was the only helmet i found that didn't fit like it was sitting too high on my head.

ant
    I second that.

And it's a slick helmet in my opinion. Now that they're rolling out the '05's, you can get the '04's for pretty cheap...

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/....cfm?SKU=17669

1946:2006:2066

my girl friend suffers from both...

Vanity and self consciousness are two different things.
    Just couldn't get her to wear a helmet for the same reasons you mentioned
    until she tried on a Giro Pneumo. It fits closer to the head and the Carbon
    colour makes it look smaller. Yea...it's a road helmet...so what!

michael
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by JRUSHE
    I second that.

And it's a slick helmet in my opinion. Now that they're rolling out the '05's, you can get the '04's for pretty cheap...
    And the price for the '05 model has come down, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Trail rider and racer
    I use a Met 5* Element which fits nicely and is not as high cut as some of the helmets around today.
    Trev!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Sorry if this sounds like a silly question. I'm new to this, so maybe it's just something I need to get used to on these new helmet styles.
    Kong Scarab.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    And the price for the '05 model has come down, too.
    Well it seems not of the LBS around my area (Chicago) stock this puppy. I'll keep calling around tonight. I'd hate to order it from the internet without seeing it up close first.

Nov 2004

Johnny Sprockets on Bryn Mawr...

Well it seems not of the LBS around my area (Chicago) stock this puppy. I'll keep calling around tonight. I'd hate to order it from the internet without seeing it up close first.
    If you're in the city, Johnny Sprockets on Bryn Mawr near the lake has some in stock. I was in there yesterday looking at them. They only have the '05's at that location, and only in certain size and colors. Call them, 773-293-1695.

None of the other shops I've been to recently had them in stock.

mtbr member
    Well I can personally suggest the BELL Yukon. I have a fairly big noggin and the helmet doesn't really look big BUT more importantly feels like it "sits" on your head and not ontop. Best part is it's around a$35 helmet.

The new GIRO Xen is a sweet helmet for sure with more of a "skate" type coverage, I also was looking at the BELL Xray.

bike moron
    Try a Limar. They are very compact and, at least for me, the easiest to deal with and most comfortable helmets I've tried. I have a couple of F107s. Not the easiest thing to find so try a Google search; there are a couple of places that have closeouts going. They generally come in only two sizes, which may make fit more hit or miss, but that's typically the case anyway with helmets.

mtbr member

Pro-Tec

I have worn these for skating and biking for 15 years. Look good, low profile, and pretty well vented.

Drinker w/ Riding Problem

Xen

great for the Big head. . .best fitting lid out there. downside $$$ throw down some cash.. but i have seen some of lasts years models. . . also saw some of the whiskey colored ones dirt cheap . well under a hundred. the new urban camo is cool but im not spendin' that much $ for a new paint job. i'll wait till i break this one.

Nov 2004
    Fot big head and great fit, go get a Bell X-Ray. Nothing else has the fit on big heads that I have tried, and it sits low as well.

Check out the reviews of it on MTBR.

Dan

Something's tingling

I second that

Limar F107. It fits my L/XL noggin great without looking like a mushroom head (Bell Ghisallo) and it has great ventilation.

Quote Originally Posted by windidiot
    Try a Limar. They are very compact and, at least for me, the easiest to deal with and most comfortable helmets I've tried. I have a couple of F107s. Not the easiest thing to find so try a Google search; there are a couple of places that have closeouts going. They generally come in only two sizes, which may make fit more hit or miss, but that's typically the case anyway with helmets.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Okay here's the latest....

I went and tried several helmets out. As I try more helmets, I am finding that the Bell brand seems to fit my head a little better. According to one shop employee I spoke to, Bell helmets generally fit people with longer oval shaped (front to back) heads like mine, and Giro fits a little better on people with more circular (shorter front to back) head shapes. That definately felt like the case, as some of the Giro's seemed to squeese a little bit in the front and back, whereas the Bells just seemed to be made for me. I know a lot of you suggested the Giro Xen, and I haven't made it to a shop that has them in stock yet. I am going tomorrow to try that one out, but I have a feeling it is going to be the same as the other Giro's.

And besides....

The Bell Xray looks to be the front-runner at this point. It fits so perfectly, and, getting back to my original question/point, I compared it side by side with other Bell and Giro models, and it has thinner side walls on it, thus giving it more of a low profile overall. The result... It doesn't look like an egg sitting on top of my head. It looks like a HELMET. I really like this one a lot. And it comes in a color I like (blue and white). I am all but sure I am going with this one...

I'll go try the Xen anyway tomorrow, just for sh*ts and giggles, and unless the xen "wow's" me, I think I am going to get the Xray.

And thank you all for your input and suggestions! This n00b appreciates your help very much!