Looking For Gloves- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

New question here. Looking For Gloves

I'm going to be needing a new pair of gloves in the near future & was wondering if there was a particular brand/model that is preferred (& readily available in the GTA)? I'd like to be able to try them on & deal w/ a LBS if I have any issues.

I currently have a couple of pairs of Pearl Izumi Gel gloves that have decent padding, but I'm not impressed w/ their workmanship. The inside of 1 of the fingers on 1 of the LH gloves has worn thru & on 1 of the RH gloves between the thumb & the forefinger, the glove came apart. This happened not too long after I bought the gloves & Northern Cycles wasn't too interested in dealing w/ my problem.

I have a pair of lightweight fullfingered Spec' gloves that I wear road riding. I've had them for a couple of years & the only issue is that the "S" logo peeled off of 1 of the fingers.

Let me know what you guys & gals use or wouldn't use & I'll take it from there.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

bi-winning
    I use some EVO Comfort gloves I payed $20 for probably about 4 years ago. They don't have any magic features. The magic is in the Ergon grips my bike.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I use some Fox branded full fingered ones, lightly padded is the only dislike. If you're into more protection I have Oakley Pilots I love, expensive my first pair but has lasted me almost three seasons now. However found a pair in my size at the Vault at Vaughan for $30 smackers. Sweet deal.

mtbr member
    Here's what I would do: Go into a store, try some on, and then buy the ones that fit the best.
    KG

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kgwisdek
    Here's what I would do: Go into a store, try some on, and then buy the ones that fit the best.
    KG
    Gee thanks, I never thought of that

What I want to know is if anyone would steer me away from the less durable gloves & towards the better quality gloves. My PI gloves look good, but didn't last long before falling apart.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    MEC is clearing out their "Seymour" full finger gloves for $21.

I picked up a pair and like them. I've used them for about 2-3 weeks (6-7 rides).
    Last edited by Swerny; 05-29-2009 at 08:57 AM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Norco Search XR Steel
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

Happy Mojo Rider
    I have purchased two pairs of Mace gloves, they are comforable and priced about 25.00 and I have seen them at Cycle Solutions Beaches and at Cyclepath Markham. I highly recommend them I usually have 3 pairs of gloves but I like the feel of the Mace ones I own.

More than a little slow
    Fox Incline. Full fingered no padding. I've got 5 or 6 pairs and I haven't had any durability issues. I got mine for 28 ish bucks at Pedal Performance up in Vaughn (Weston and Hwy 7). I've also got Ergons on the bars and prefer riding without padded gloves with them.
    Cheers, Dave

Evil Jr.
    I buy all my gloves at either MEC or REI: cheap and durable. For me, the key has been to have several different gloves in a lot of different weights. I probably have almost a dozen pairs.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Misfit Psycles
    i too found the pearls a little shy in the durability department - but - truth be told i havent found a pair quite as comfortable.

i suppose if i was wealthy there wouldnt be a dilemma.

now...at least sometimes...i ride Batty style.
    using ESI silicone grips i typically dont 'need' gloves.
    pearl necklace not required.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk
    Fox Incline.
    Ditto, just picked up a pair for $30 at Pedal Performance and really like them. Prior to these I was using a pair of similar MEC-brand gloves (~$20) and they were pretty solid too. I'm a big fan of minimal padding in the palm area, too much cush gets bunched up and gives me problems...I also run ergons for what it's worth...

mtbr member

MEC or Trek XC comp

I have a couple pairs from MEC, minimal padding I think they were $20-25 full fingered. No problems so far this year. Before the MEC brand gloves I was wearing a pair of Trek XC comp's. I have not seem them anywhere since, but they lasted 3 years and were bomb proof, I remember them being a little on the pricey side ($40+) but for a glove lasting 3 years the cost is justfied. Anyone seen them in your lbs?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I just bought a pair of the Specialized BG Gel Glove. They're not full-fingered but the padding on them is well-placed. Used them on my 15 mile ride today and my hands felt great. Check them out on their website. Just my $0.02. Good luck on your search...

Trail Rider
    I've been using the Fox Digit, full finger for a couple seasons now. Last year there was a little split on the thumb but after a few crashes they have held up really well. They also breath well and I've never felt like they are too hot.

Highly recommended!

Members who have read this thread: 0