Looking for Forearm Guards- Mtbr.com
    Sweater

Looking for Forearm Guards

Ok, first the short story. I'm big and clumsy so I crash more often than I like. Seems like every year or every other year something big comes up in life which keeps me off the bike for a period of time, weeks or months. In this case, it's a home addition/full remodel on a new (to us) house. The project is finally nearing completion and I'm starting to have short windows to grab rides here and there. Well, in addition to my natural tendencies, it seems every time I'm off the bike for a while I'm much less fluid for a while. I feel all herky jerky and spastic. Anyhow I end up crashing even more often, which happened again this weekend. That leads me to my question for you guys:
    What forearm protection do you guys use if any? Whenever I wipe out, my forearms seem to take the brunt of the abuse. Not my elbows, sometimes my knees/shins but mostly my forearms. I also get really hot and sweat a ton so I'm looking for something light, cool, and comfy that can be worn in warm/hot weather. Not really Northstar type armor but something more than arm warmers. I've taken a quick glance through the usual online sites to get an idea but they all seemed to be elbow guards with varying degrees of forearm protection. So what have you guys used and like? Any thing to definitely stay away from?
    Thanks
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Dec 2001
    I haven't found too many forearm only guards, I think the elbow is needed to keep the guards in place. I too was looking for a lighter weight set to wear on the normal rides vs my bulky stuff that I run at NStar. I found these and have been happy enough. Surprisingly not that hot, the lycra sleeve breathes well. They are very light and offer just enough impact and plenty of scratch/abrasion protection.
    https://www.troyleedesigns.com/products/1291-00
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I shredded my forearm twice within a month in a half last summer, with one of those requiring 5 staples to close. After the second incident, I picked up some G-Form elbow pads (G-Form Elbow Pads > Apparel > Protective Gear > Arm Armor | Jenson USA) to avoid getting torn up again. They primarily cover elbows, but make it down far enough to keep your forearms relatively protected. They are super comfortable and light weight. They won't help much on a massive impact, but at least protect you from getting torn up and potentially infected down the road...

mtbr member
    soft elbow pads like poc vpd, tld dr schock, g-form...

for what you explain I would specially recommend these ones, they protect elbow and forearm and the fabrics breathe quite well.

Troy Lee Designs Elbow and Forearm Pads/Guards

If the problem is abrasion more than hits/cuts, you can also try 3/4 dh jerseys and also trying to improve your reaction when falling.

Sweater
    Quote Originally Posted by OS-KR View Post

for what you explain I would specially recommend these ones, they protect elbow and forearm and the fabrics breathe quite well.

If the problem is abrasion more than hits/cuts, you can also try 3/4 dh jerseys and also trying to improve your reaction when falling.
    Yeah it's definitely more abrasion than impact, though the latter has been known to happen. Sadly, my improved reaction is to save my face with my forearms and I'm not sure where to go from there.
    I'll check out the DH jerseys too, maybe those are the ticket especially during the cooler weather when dying from the heat isn't an issue.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OS-KR View Post

+1 on trying the TLD guards. I have the 5150 knee guards and they are awesome. Don't slip while riding, not too hot, no chafing, and they've mostly stayed put in a bunch of wrecks.