Looking for a fairly large and comfortable helmet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Looking for a fairly large and comfortable helmet

I'm going to start biking so I went to my LBS which is a Specialized dealer and tried on the largest Specialized Align and Max helmet. They didn't sit right on my noggin and felt very uncomfortable. The helmets were squeezing the sides of my head. The dealer said they didn't make anything bigger. The shape of my head is probably more squarish/round versus oval. I used to ride a motorcycle and needed a XXL helmet because it felt comfortable where an XL helmet fit but wasn't comfortable. Can anyone recommend one or have similar issues? Does anyone make a custom helmet where it would fit to the shape of your head? Otherwise I'll be out on the street/trails without some head cover. Thanks!

hi
    Jul 2010
    Only out of ones I've tried Fox Flux in L/XL fit my noggin well. Same here -- I have a fairly large head (xxl). There were also these strips of extra padding that you can arrange or remove to your liking - for inside the helmet. Plus it covers the rear of the head. It was like eighty bucks or so at REI

mtbr member
    I was in roughly the same boat a week or two ago. My head is pretty big, though I'm not sure how it would compare to yours. I don't think I have the same issue of being wide on the sides, at least. But I still had some difficulty finding an ideal helmet for myself at several stores in and around San Francisco. My selection was partially constrained by a requirement for the helmet to have a centered vent hole (or two) at the top, for mounting a helmet cam, and my dissatisfaction with how the strap buckles of all of the Giro models tended to sit uncomfortably "sideways" on my cheeks.

In the end, the only model I could find locally that fit all these criteria (and didn't make me look like "Mr. Mushroomhead") was a Specialized Vice. I believe it was a size XL, but I can't be certain without checking again.

In the few rides I've done with it since, I've been pretty happy with its fit, build quality, weight, and the flexibility of its adjustment mechanism. This particular model also seems to be well regarded (in online reviews) for its better-than-average coverage of the back of your head. It's got ventilation like there's no tomorrow. And it's technically considered an "all-mountain" helmet, I think.

Recommended...
    Looking for local rides? You'll find plenty on my website: Bay Area Mountain Bike Rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I posted in another thread of mines but I got the Lazer Magma XC helmet which fits great. Much better than the Specialized Max or the Bell Triton. Thanks for all the recommendations.

mtbr member
    glad to hear your brain is now protected

Members who have read this thread: 0