of normal pedals, but i'm betting that something like the Crank
    Brothers Mallets will do the trick. Any suggestions? (Tried the search
    function, btw, w/o any useful results. A pointer to an existing thread
    on this subj. would be great.)

t.i.a.,
    E

May 2005

Shimano

Shimano makes a pedal that is clipless on one side and a flat on the other.

PD-M324
    Multi-Purpose Pedal

mtbr member
    I've heard great things about Atom Lab Quiksteps. They are a freeride pedal and sell for about 150 bucks and are pretty heavy, but when you step down on them in regular shoes, the clips just press into the pedal and you don't even feel them. From what I've heard, they are as good to ride in regular shoes as they are when you're clipped in. However, beware, that these pedals do not have any float - you clip in and your foot is held from rotating by the pins.

I've recently tried the Mallets for about a week and switched back to platforms after getting nearly killed on every ride that week. The pedal looks like it would be good to ride on with regular shoes, but the eggbeater mechanism sticks out too much and if you're wearing skate shoes, you will most likely slide off your pedals because the mechanism sometimes rolls under your feet - I've had this happen and you don't want this if you are doing any jumping.

If you are not going to do any agressive riding with regular shoes, I think that the multi purpuse pedal is the best option.

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Ive tried googling that pedal and cant find them anywere were did you get them>?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruzovik
    I've heard great things about Atom Lab Quiksteps. They are a freeride pedal and sell for about 150 bucks and are pretty heavy, but when you step down on them in regular shoes, the clips just press into the pedal and you don't even feel them. From what I've heard, they are as good to ride in regular shoes as they are when you're clipped in. However, beware, that these pedals do not have any float - you clip in and your foot is held from rotating by the pins.

I've recently tried the Mallets for about a week and switched back to platforms after getting nearly killed on every ride that week. The pedal looks like it would be good to ride on with regular shoes, but the eggbeater mechanism sticks out too much and if you're wearing skate shoes, you will most likely slide off your pedals because the mechanism sometimes rolls under your feet - I've had this happen and you don't want this if you are doing any jumping.

If you are not going to do any agressive riding with regular shoes, I think that the multi purpuse pedal is the best option.
    Ive tried googling that pedal and cant find them anywere were did you get them>? Also any other pedals that are rideable with out clips?

mtbr member
    I have crank bros. Mallets, and love them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLX
    Ive tried googling that pedal and cant find them anywere were did you get them>? Also any other pedals that are rideable with out clips?
    I got mine from Adrenaline Bikes.

http://www.adrenalinebikes.com/store...ntain%20Pedals

This isn't the best mail order shop out there, but not many carry these pedals. I have these and I do love them. You can get good grip with Street Shoes, not as good as platforms, but definately better than with the Mallets.

Jan 2004

Wow! Those look really...

Quote Originally Posted by Gruzovik

nice. I have to say that if you went from platforms right to the trails with clipins I'm not surprised that you went back to platforms. That's just about suicidal for any normal person. It can take weeks to get to the point where your muscle memory is good enough to perform the required movement needed to unclip without conscious thought. The typical scenario is that you're pedaling along a trail you've done dozens of times with no serious incidents. Then you come upon a situation where you need to make a foot adjustment and automatically do what you did with platforms...you pull up to move your foot...wham you hit the ground still clipped in. Pulling up to release from clipin pedals is a death move for most clipin pedal beginner. Good clipins are designed to keep you clipped in when the foots tendency is to bounce off the pedal on rough trails.

It's too bad you'll never experience the ability to remain in better control of the bike even on really rough trails with no effort.

Members who have read this thread: 0