Looking ahead to the Fall Season, what performance clothing do you guys wear?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Looking ahead to the Fall Season, what performance clothing do you guys wear?

Living in Connecticut, curious to hear what "performance clothing" you guys wear to keep warm in the Fall and Winter Season while MTBing? I would hate to wear a lot of layers when riding. Do they make a windbreaker shirt and pants that keeps you warm but doesn't make you sweat like a pig either

Fat-tired Roadie
    Tights, long-sleeved jersey (maybe) and a windbreaker sold for cycling. Or a hoodie. Wool socks, full-fingered gloves. I have a couple other things I might add in sub-freezing temperatures.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

guru meditation
    Also - something in blaze orange for hunting season. Fall is now my favorite time to ride

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Remember... if you are comfortable PRIOR to riding, you're going to be too hot once out on the trail.

I like bib knickers to keep he knees warm. I have plain and insulated depending on weather. I use (SOS) arm warmers a lot. arm warmers a nifty because they are so easy to take on and off.

I have an Endura camo jacket that works well and packs up tiny.

I have some Gore bike stuff and it breathes but it's high dollar. Problem with winter riding is you get all hot on long climbs and then turn into a freezer pop on the ride back down...
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by goingblankagain
    Also - something in blaze orange for hunting season. Fall is now my favorite time to ride

Quoted for supreme intelligence!

Around here, deer season is 4-1/2 months long and there's a real problem with poachers! All my riding shirts are bright orange form Aug 15th thru Jan 1st.
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

mtbr member
    I think I'll just use my running clothes for now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thongs and a bench press shirt.

I own this:
    Arctic Guard ThermaGuard Bottom by Performance Bike

and a long sleeve performance shirt. Those are my base layers. Over that goes a fleece and over that goes a Gortex jacket. Sometime I wear fleece lined jeans (to an NFL game) or sweat pants.
    2009 Access 9.5 29er
    2010 Diamondback Insight RS (700c hybrid)
    Velorazzo frame build (26)

mtbr member
    big-a$$ cheap gloves from WalMart.

(My delicate hands can't handle the cold).
    Don't take anything I say seriously.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I keep it simple. I bought a jacket from my bike shop that can zip off into a vest. I can put it on during a cool fall morning and remove the sleeves as it gets warmer later in the day. It will also keep my core warm. This jacket is also windproof. With this jacket on I need very little stuff under it. Like someone else said if you're comfortable starting out you will be too hot once you get started riding. I have cheap spandex tights from wal-mart 10 bucks for use on the cool mornings and some with a liner that I use on cold days. I would buy a different pair with the liner if I had to do it over again. A zipper is required on those pants. Under armor is your friend.

mtbr member
    I wear knickers in the winter to keep my legs warm. Just like baggies but the legs come down to mid calf or so. Several thin layers are better than one thick one. I have a larger hydration pack for the winter to carry extra clothing or when I start shedding layers. I use a Dakine Apex and it's very comfortable.

Up top, something windprof in the front, but breathable in the back is the best. Craft makes good stuff but kind of expensive. Arm warmers are nice cuase you can take them off.

I also bring extra socks and gloves. Your hands will still sweat and it's nice to put on something dry about half way through the ride. Dry socks are great when your feet get wet and cold.

Now is a good time to buy this stuff in the bargain bin. Start looking on line and you should be able to find some deals.

Master of Disaster
    Clothing from Performance Bicycles?
    • Performance Terry Gloves
    • Performance Century Jersey
    • Performance Elite Bibs

Seriously - great question. I've seen some good deals on clearanced winter gear in the past month but passed on it since I'm not sure what temps I'll be riding in. No point getting warm stuff for my legs and hands if my face will be freezing off so I stay home anyway. Seems like adjustability is the key to staying comfortable.
    Last edited by Clones123; 08-03-2010 at 05:32 AM.
    I'm gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    IMBA member #234701

Full length bib tights, a base layer underneath that, either a long sleeve jersey or a short sleeve with arm warmers, cold weather gloves and a wicking material balaclava seemed to keep me comfortable last winter. I went out on a day that was below freezing with 15 mph winds and a nice Michigan lake effect snowstorm in that same gear and stayed warm but not hot. That may have been my funnest ride of the year.

Rod
    mtbr member
    When it starts to cool off I find myself using my long sleeve under armor shirt, this is arm warmers for most people, and knee warmers more than anything. I also use my long sleeve jersey when it's just cool outside. If it's in the 40s I put a base layer, underarmor, shirt under my jersey. If anyone sees these items on sale I wouldn't hesitate to pick them up. These are worn in the upper 40 or 50 degree temps usually.

I also wear my lycra pants without a thermal fleece lining a lot. It's not really cold, but a little too cool for my knee warmers. The jacket that I mentioned earlier is really nice when it's a little too cool for just a jersey. What I do is wear the long sleeve jersey and base layer under my jacket. I also have some shoe covers that I picked up on a table at a bike shop. I'm not even sure of the brand, but they keep my feet warm. These would be the main items you would need to extend your riding season in the Midwest.

mtbr member
    I ride CT also - live in Manchester. I have a light and heavy pair of tights, winter-weight Shimano shoes (with chemical warmers when it gets nippy), extra gloves, balaclava, and a typical assortment of synthetic layers. I heat quickly and find my self down to one or two thin layers on top even when it's in the low 20s. Having once been a winter backpacker, my goal is to be able to survive a night stuck in the woods should the unexpected occur. I carry lots of extra clothing, including a down jacket, emergency bivvy and lots of extra calories. This coming season, I'm going to add a windbreaker with a light fleece lining to throw on quickly when I stop for a break. Something like this:http://www.rei.com/product/794464]. I already have a windbreaker and light fleece, but this will just be a little easier.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air
    This coming season, I'm going to add a windbreaker with a light fleece lining to throw on quickly when I stop for a break. Something like this:http://www.rei.com/product/794464]. I already have a windbreaker and light fleece, but this will just be a little easier.
    I read the reviews - fleece lined sleeves are great / fleece lined sleeves are awful.

Wouldn't you need a jacket with gussets behind the shoulder and really long sleeves on a bike? Maybe a little longer in back too. I might end up needing to buy something bike-specific to get the comfort/functionality that I'll be looking for this winter.
    I'm gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    IMBA member #234701

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clones123
    I read the reviews - fleece lined sleeves are great / fleece lined sleeves are awful.

Wouldn't you need a jacket with gussets behind the shoulder and really long sleeves on a bike? Maybe a little longer in back too. I might end up needing to buy something bike-specific to get the comfort/functionality that I'll be looking for this winter.
    I haven't seen the jacket in the link, so I can't comment on particulars. But I always buy shell type jackets a size larger than usual to allow endless layering. So too snug a fit wouldn't be an issue for me.

While I'm guilty of always searching for the perfect kit and gear, I think the main thing is to have enough of it when riding in cool or cold temps. I ride alone, and tho it's unlikely, I could get stuck out in the cold longer than anticipated - so I carry the extra insurance.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Thank you everyone for all the great feedback so far! What are some name brands/models of windbreaker jackets that you guys recommend?

meow meow
    i wear nike pro tights with mtb shorts over them and a nike pro mock with a track jacket (flece not wind breaker) and some mtb gloves in vt. i guess im a pretty warm person.

2010 RockHopper Comp Disc
    Aug 2009
    I just wear shorts and a tshirt until it gets below 40F, then I start wearing a carhartt sweat shirt. Im minimalist. I also wear wool socks.

mtbr member
    Wore Cold-Weather Under Armour apparel yesterday here in Connecticut for the fall weather. Wasn't too cool. The pants worked great with my cargos on top. Look to get a true wind breaker jacket soon as the wind was pounding on my chest. A UA mask purchase is next too......my dome gets cold with my shaved head

TRANCER
    I live in South Florida and pretty much wear the same stuff all year round except maybe a month where the temps go under 50.
    Ride

Picture Unrelated
    For cool weather, I heart knee warmers. Colder than that it's tights weather.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Trail Ninja
    I wear the same stuff during the summer in New York, but I wear arm and leg armor and tough baggy shorts and not thin lycra shorts nor coolmax jerseys. I have arm, leg, and ear warmers in case. I'm warm unless I get a major injury on the trail. When it gets consistently under 40 F, I finally bust out the bulkier gloves and socks, jacket, and headgear.

I miss that FL shorts year round climate, but I have real mountainous trails to ride now in New England.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 10-18-2010 at 11:02 AM.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    So tights it is. UGH! Clydesdale in tights = indecent exposure. I was wondering what to wear so that I dont get pants stuck in 3rd ring. Maybe tie pant leg with velcro? UGH again!
    I'm a ******bag in real life so I dont have to be one on the interwebz.

Fat-tired Roadie
    If you're wearing tights anyway, just cut your pants off about mid-shin. Otherwise, get one of those dorky velcro things they have next to the register at bike shops. I wear them routinely when it's cold out and I'm commuting.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Semi-Hairless Sasquatch
    For any ride starting out down to 40-45F I'll start out w/ a tank style base layer w/ a short sleeve jersey/tech tee, thin fleece arm warmers, and a convertible cycling wind breaker/vest (using an LG Electra the most so far this fall) on top. On bottom, the usual bibs under baggies, thin fleece knee warmers and light-ish weight wool cycling socks. I like the arm/knee warmers as opposed to long sleeve jerseys or tights for fall as its relatively easy to remove layers as the temperature and I warm up.

Below 35-40 I'll swap the knee warmers for UA cold gear tights over the bibs and under the baggies and heavier wool cycling socks, swap the tank base layer and arm warmers for long sleeve wicking thermal, and add a fleece beanie w/ ear coverage. Only thing that really gets cold in this setup is my nose and hands. Thinking about picking up a set of winter cycling gloves.

The forearm/elbow and shin/knee guard I have are also pretty warm when I wear them.

mtbr member
    i grabbed this bad boy so i don't get greased by the hunters. plus, it's waterproof and slightly windproof.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    16' Framed AK white/black 21" FAT
    97' Cannondale Super V yellow/black

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm thrifty (cheap) when it comes to most clothing. Here in WV I wear a underarmour like base and a long sleeve sweatshirt up top. If its really cold I will put a windbreaker over that. Full fingered gloves also. On bottom I usually wear baggy shorts and reallllly long soccer socks that come up over the knees. That way I can pull them up or push them down without taking all that crap off. I look like a dork (and probably am) but as I am an older biker I could care less what I look like. I like others make sure I wear some blaze orange or neon green throughout the fall. Snow gets too deep in winter so then I just wear shorts on a trainer!

Members who have read this thread: 0