Long Sleeve Shirt for Sun protection in the Heat- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Long Sleeve Shirt for Sun protection in the Heat

Anyone have any recommendation for a long sleeve shirt for sun protection to be used for riding in AZ heat. Needs to be light weight and breathable.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I really like my Umbro soccer jersey. Its semimesh, it has dimpling where its thinner, but it not actual open hole. Lightly padded forearm. Its my fav coolest longsleeve. Works better than the One Vapor i have which has open mesh, but in odd places.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Use those arm sleeves. They actually provide some decent cooling far better than what you get from a loose long sleeve jersey.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    troy lee spirit or spirit air are pretty light as well as the yeti alder / toland jerseys.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    Use those arm sleeves. They actually provide some decent cooling far better than what you get from a loose long sleeve jersey.
    +1 for the sleeves. I recently picked up a 3 pack off amazon for under $20 and I really like them. Im in AZ too and they have worked well for me so far.

Ambassador of Chub
    Go to the thrift store and buy the lightest weight, long-sleeve dress shirt you can find. Hell, they're like .50¢ - get three of them. I'm partial to the western snap shirts you can find at just about any thrift store in the rural West.

When your buddies ask you where you got the super cool, retro shirt, make up a name that is missing some consonants and has an ümlaut. And tell 'em it cost like $100.00
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    When your buddies ask you where you got the super cool, retro shirt, make up a name that is missing some consonants and has an ümlaut. And tell 'em it cost like $100.00
    ............as you're soaking in cotton or baking in a non-breathable polyester weave

There is some really good stuff to be had at thrift stores for sure, I love treasure hunting in them whenever I have the opportunity.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    ............as you're soaking in cotton or baking in a non-breathable polyester weave
    I generally don't mind a damp cotton shirt on a hot day at all. Point it downhill and enjoy the evaporative cooling.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Some fishing shirts are very lightweight and include many performance features to appeal to tech geeks, for whom wearing a cotton shirt might induce addiction withdrawal symptoms. This is my favorite sun protection shirt for biking and other outdoor activities, which doesn't include fishing:

Men's PFG Low Drag Offshoreâ„¢ Long Sleeve Shirt | Columbia.com

This model uses a thin polyester ripstop fabric with a little stretch, which I find is more breathable than the nylon fishing shirts I've tried. It is available in light colors and has a UPF 40 rating along with wicking and anti-microbial treatments like many sport tops do.

The loose fit helps ventilation and also helps to shield the beer gut on us less than fit cyclists. I'm 6' tall and 210 lbs and normally wear size large in shirts and x-large in jerseys, but with this Columbia model the size medium fits like a large.
    Last edited by Chubb; 09-13-2017 at 04:58 PM.

Bring the ruckus
    REI brand long sleeve sun shirts work great! Sun sleeves are also good.

Long Live the Gorn!
    Sunsleeves I like Solskin work great!
    Sometimes pair them up with a club ride short sleeve
    Or fine hot weather loose long sleeve, if you really want trch SPF try Coolibar
    Long sleeves ,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bvader View Post
    Sunsleeves I like Solskin work great!
    Sometimes pair them up with a club ride short sleeve
    Or fine hot weather loose long sleeve, if you really want trch SPF try Coolibar
    Long sleeves ,
    Club ride shirt and sun sleeves from aliexpress. The sleeves are only a couple of bucks, work well, and when I inevitably rip them I don't fee; bad.

Long sleeves are going to get shredded eventually if you are mountain biking.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Club ride shirt and sun sleeves from aliexpress. The sleeves are only a couple of bucks, work well, and when I inevitably rip them I don't fee; bad.

Long sleeves are going to get shredded eventually if you are mountain biking.
    Yup, same here. I have my nice ones for road riding, and my Ali ones for MTB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    how did they work out for you
    Custom Performance Apparel for the Trails
    Surfmonkey Gear

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think arm sleeves look very tacky. I just wear the cheap long sleeve shirts from Hanes called Cool DRI. They are rated for 50+ upf. None of the other shirts I've seen has this kinda rating. The only downside is they get stinky when you sweat because their odor resistant isn't that great compared to the premium type shirts like Nike Dri Fit or Under Amour Tech long sleeve shirts I have but they are a lot cheaper than Nike/UA shirts.

https://www.hanes.com/shop/hanes/men...-t-shirt-24270

mtbr member
    I use these for riding sun protection. When on sale they can be cheep, they also come in tall sizes.
    Men's Lookout Long-sleeve T-shirt - Solid | Eddie Bauer

mtbr member
    Dickies cotton/poly button down shirts, use both the SS and LS. Could be a bit hot for AZ but for short money it is worth a try.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    REI and such make long sleeve lightweight shirts with spf 50 ratings. Thin and airy. Also fly fishing stuff of the same type. Northface, Patagonia etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Try a surf shop and get something made by O’Brien, Quicksilver, Volcom, etc. Those are usually made with 50 spf uv protection and are very light weight and breathable.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Stoic Breath 90 long sleeve, a house brand at backcountry but unfor no longer made. Impossibly thin and light, I have them both LS and SS. This might be similar or close to the Stoic with claimed weight 3.5oz:

https://www.backcountry.com/patagoni...-top-mens?rr=t

Try chatting w/ backcountry and see what they recommend.

mtbr member
    I bought one of these:
    Ultra Athlete® Shirt
    Is a lot cooler than the sleeves that are sticky and glide down when sweating and on rough trail.
    Drawback: it will get noisy when riding fast and going fast down it may become too ventilated if temperature is not really up.
    There are other models from that company and this is made for running so no ordinary bike pockets on the rear of it.
    it is harder to get fit than to stay fit