long-distance adventure shoes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

long-distance adventure shoes?

My Karate Monkey and I are setting off in about a month for a 75-day app. 4,800 mile, mostly off-road cycloventure through South America. I'll traverse quite a range of terrain, starting in the southern Columbian/Ecuadorian jungle and making my way south through the high Peruvian Andes and the Bolivian salt flats. Packing for this sort of trip, to say it mildly, is pretty daunting! Bascially I'm trying to bring one (all wool) multi-layered set of clothing. A bigger challenge seems to be the shoe issue: I sure would like to avoid having to pack a separate pair of shoes for hiking! I can't equip myself properly for doing any Andes mid-winter mountain climbs, though I'm sure I'll spend quite a bit of time tromping around, hike-a-biking, hiking Machu Picchu, etc. I've scoured the intertron in search of possible shoes that aptly double for hiking and cycling. I've checked out my Lake, Cannondale, Shimano, and Diadora options, and so far am only intrigued by Pearl Izumi's new x-alp line (too bad they're even uglier than my feet). Has anybody found a shoe that's happy masquerading as a hiker? Should I suck it up and bring another pair? Also, any word on what it's like to cycle in a bit higher shoe that covers the ankles?

Sweet. Thanks!

mtbr member
    You didn't say if you use clipless or not.

I use LAW Moto X which are burley platforms and wear La Sportiva hiking shoes with Specialized Body Geometry insoles. I take the wedges out for long walks.

May 2004
    Unless you're 100% convinced that you need clipless, I'd opt for a good hiking shoe (fitted at a good boot-fitter if necessary) and a pair of Power Grips. Seems like the best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    oh! right, yes, i'll be using crank bro's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    the x-alp is even stiff (imo) for a all rounder. i use a wellgo 950 with a toe cage / strap and runner w/a Sole sole, you might opt for a low top hiker. mids bother me unless they fit really well (they chafe my ankles when damp/sweaty) and they usually dont breathe well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    thanks, this is very helpful. i think i'll try the burliest-soled x-alp lows.

Old man on a bike
    Nice cycling shoe with burly sole are Lake shoes with the Vibram soles...comes both high and low top I think.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    the sole design on the xalp is good, but it really only flexs a small amount and its right at the toes. i dont think id reccomend them for intensive hikes. the upper is much more comfortable than a molded shoe, and it works good for hiking short distances. but the only model with a waterproof feature is the mid. a trail runner + insole + pedal cage strap would give you the best of both. and more models are available with goretex. i have about 1000 kms on my xalps. they fit wide and i urge you to try them on before u buy them. mind you the mid might be alright if you wanted a stiff hiker. just bring extra cleat screws.

Members who have read this thread: 0