Lobster Gloves Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Lobster Gloves Question

Anyone know of a lobster glove that does not have a five finger liner that separates the fingers within each claw? I have an old pair of Trek lobster gloves that does not separate them, but they have seen better days. I have a newer pair of Pear Izumis that are thicker, but separate the fingers. They are not as warm as the older, thinner Treks. Every pair I look at separate all the fingers, which to me, defeats the purpose of the claw configuration in the first place.
    You know what I like about this place? They let you hurt yourself.

EAT MORE GRIME
    my older pearls are two fingers...they must have changed. I was gonna say PI...

however, useless info follows:
    I dumped lobster gloves in favor of thinner cyclones and pogies. my hands are far warmer now and i have way more riding control. unless you just dislike pogies I would suggest pogies and non-lobster gloves, they are warm!

mtbr member
    My Pearls dont seperate the individual fingers

mtbr member
    Looking into that option as well. Looking at Wilco and Moose Mitts. Wilco's look like they might be warmer, but I am awaiting a response from them to see if they will fit the cockpit on my CX bike that sports a wonky setup designed to get me a massive gear range and eliminate the pain I had been experiencing in my back and shoulder. Here's a pic of my crazy setup.
    You know what I like about this place? They let you hurt yourself.

Michigan Wolverine
    Weird. I have a set of Pearl lobsters that don't separate the fingers either. They're only about a year old at this point, so if they made a change it must have been recent.

I'd rather be on my bike
    PI's here as well and they don't separate the fingers. Was just at my local shop and they sold the same PI's that I bought a few years ago. Keep looking.
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Gadget GPB View Post
    Looking into that option as well. Looking at Wilco and Moose Mitts. Wilco's look like they might be warmer, but I am awaiting a response from them to see if they will fit the cockpit on my CX bike that sports a wonky setup designed to get me a massive gear range and eliminate the pain I had been experiencing in my back and shoulder. Here's a pic of my crazy setup.
    go on amazon and get snowmobile cheapo pogies. they ain't flashy but are super warm and like 11 bucks a pair. works great, cheap.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    you might look at various liners for snow mittens and such. My lobster gloves are in fact, snow lobsters and work well. I rotate between various liners depending on how cold it will be that day.

Auto Racer
    Can confirm that current Pearl Izumi PRO Softshell Lobster gloves do not have separate fingers in the mitten.
    P.R.O. Softshell Lobster Glove - Pearl Izumi

mtbr member

Lobster Gloves Question

I have the older version of these and they are excellent. They are great in the teens on the road when I commute. Anything above 25 is too warm for the gloves. My hands swear too much.
    http://www.sugoi.com/usa/bike/access...ter-glove.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Bringing back an old thread to see if anyone has any recent experience with different versions of Lobster Gloves and what they recommend. I need them to be warm for multiple hours on end, live in the east coast so we occasionally get this windy super cold days where you still have lots of moisture in the air making it feel super cold on the bike. I just need these gloves for those type of days.

So far my options are:
    - Pearl Izumi Amfib (130g insulation with Softshell)
    - Giro Proof (multiple versions out there)
    - Seal Skinz Highland XP (looks like 170g insualtion

My LBS does not carry so I need to order online so needs to be somewhere I can return with ease if required.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    my older pearls are two fingers...they must have changed. I was gonna say PI...

however, useless info follows:
    I dumped lobster gloves in favor of thinner cyclones and pogies. my hands are far warmer now and i have way more riding control. unless you just dislike pogies I would suggest pogies and non-lobster gloves, they are warm!
    This. (and you can still peal them back when your hands start to get too warm)

This especially for your "warm for hours" requirement, unless we are talking like 40 degrees, in which case, you don't need all this and you may feel uncomfortable, but never dangerously cold.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think I am going to go with the specialized version they are made of Gore Windstopper which I have always had good luck with and 200g insulation.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!