Which lightweight full-face?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Which lightweight full-face?

I'm currently looking around for a full-face helmet. I'll say that I ride a little of everything, to include a bunch of climbing, though rarely ride pure downhill stuff (I'm still somewhat new). I don't necessarily need the protection of the chin bar (though it's nice to have), my main reason is to mount an action cam on the chin. Given that, primary need considering it's a full-face is ventilation. I need to be able to be somewhat comfortable (or at least bearable) wearing it all day. Don't really need ASTM rating, but I'll welcome it. The helmets I've been looking at are these, in order from lowest to highest price:

- Bell Sanction
    - Demon Podium
    - Bell Super 2R (though becoming hard to find, plus they're old models and most reviews say they can be uncomfortable)
    - Bell Super 3R
    - Giro Switchblade
    - MET Parachute

I'd love to spend as little as possible, though not sure the first two are going to offer the ventilation I'm after, and would just be a wasted purchase. What are your recommendations? Should I be looking at something else?

Also, for those that wear a full-face now, would the weight of a GoPro or camera on the chin be enough weight to pull the helmet forward a little and be uncomfortable? I know I get a headache after a little while with the weight of it mounted on my head on my normal helmet now. Could just be bad weight distribution on the helmet though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hi
    I highly recommend the Met Parachute - light and comfortable. I usually mount a gopro under the visor if I want to use one. Not sure how it would go mounted on the chin bar - I think it would be distracting.

On another topic where can you get the Giro switchblade cheaper than the Parachute?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I second the MET- love mine
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by silvascape View Post
    Hi
    I highly recommend the Met Parachute - light and comfortable. I usually mount a gopro under the visor if I want to use one. Not sure how it would go mounted on the chin bar - I think it would be distracting.

On another topic where can you get the Giro switchblade cheaper than the Parachute?
    I'm having a tough time finding a new Parachute (in black anyway) anywhere to be honest. Only place I found them had em for $300.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Bell Super 2R or 3R. I've had the 2R for that long I'm thinking of replacing it just based on age alone. It's saved my face countless times.

That said I'm waiting on the Leatt DBX 3.0 to arrive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    I'm having a tough time finding a new Parachute (in black anyway) anywhere to be honest. Only place I found them had em for $300.
    The black and red MET Parachute can be found at Jenson USA for 179.99 in size Large right now.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Met-Parachu...et%20parachute

I'm a Bell Super 2R user and find it comfortable and well-ventilated. Jensonusa has several models on closeout at around 100, though I think they're out of stock on all except Small and Medium.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Search?q=Be...ll%20Super%202

Jenson has been flawless in over 2 years that I've been buying from them, so check them out confidently.

Check if you can mount your cam under your visor. I'd guess that having the weight so far forward will be noticeable and uncomfortable. You can see recent videos on YouTube from Seth's Bike Hacks where he's mounted it below his visor and it's working well for him.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    another +1 on the MET Parachute.

Breathable
    Light
    Protection

Done some XC type riding in it, and didnt sweat it out too much (glasses fog up when its too hot)
    And also some DH sessions where there was walk/climbing required afterwards and didn't bother taking it off and on.

mtbr member
    I have a bell super 2R, I find it very comfortable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzo7 View Post
    The black and red MET Parachute can be found at Jenson USA for 179.99 in size Large right now.

Jenson USA - Online mountain & road bike parts, clothing and accessories shop | Jenson USA

I'm a Bell Super 2R user and find it comfortable and well-ventilated. Jensonusa has several models on closeout at around 100, though I think they're out of stock on all except Small and Medium.

Search results for Bell Super 2 | Jenson USA

Jenson has been flawless in over 2 years that I've been buying from them, so check them out confidently.

Check if you can mount your cam under your visor. I'd guess that having the weight so far forward will be noticeable and uncomfortable. You can see recent videos on YouTube from Seth's Bike Hacks where he's mounted it below his visor and it's working well for him.

Good luck!
    Yeah I saw the MET on Jenson, but I'm not really a fan of the black/red combo. It's not terrible, and it may be what I end up doing anyway just because of the features of the helmet. And unfortunately I'm a large head (around 59), so those Super 2R deals won't work, but good spotting them.

I also have thought about the under-visor spot, and I'm definitely going to try that too I think, especially if I get one of the helmets that come with an extra visor.

Quote Originally Posted by LinkyPinky87 View Post
    another +1 on the MET Parachute.

Breathable
    Light
    Protection

Done some XC type riding in it, and didnt sweat it out too much (glasses fog up when its too hot)
    And also some DH sessions where there was walk/climbing required afterwards and didn't bother taking it off and on.
    What about climbing? I intend to wear it at all times, so I'd like to find one that I won't have to take off because of overheating even on hot climbing days.

I see you guys with the Super 2R recommendations. Has anyone had experience with both the MET and the Bell? How do they compare?

mtbr member
    . . ., so those Super 2R deals won't work, but good spotting them.

What about climbing? I intend to wear it at all times, so I'd like to find one that I won't have to take off because of overheating even on hot climbing days.

I see you guys with the Super 2R recommendations. Has anyone had experience with both the MET and the Bell? How do they compare?
    Have not tried both, but as far as climbing with the 2R, the chin bar fits in most hydration back packs, I have removed the chin bar when hot. But yes, hard to find deals on larges.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Well thanks folks, I went with the MET. Decided the ASTM rating and features seemed worth it. Appreciate the help!

I'll update the thread with a photo or two and what I think when it gets here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well thanks folks, I went with the MET. Decided the ASTM rating and features seemed worth it. Appreciate the help!

I'll update the thread with a photo or two and what I think when it gets here.
    I think you'll be happy with it. I've mentioned it before, I'm on the East Coast so a ton of humidity in the summer.

While it's a little warmer when moving slow, it's not bad. Once you're moving, I've found it better ventilated that some of the 1/2 domes I've owned and I don't buy cheap helmets.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    If i know the trail.. and its a long easy going fire trail. I might considering un strapping and raising it above my head or taking it off.

But for those "xc" type trails, where it might be a 1min climb and a 1min descend up and down up and down, its not an issue. At all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Got the Parachute in, seems awesome! Really light, very ventilated, comfy, no real pressure points for me. I only wore it around the house for about 20 minutes, but I'm excited to take it out on the trail. Made a quick video of it:

mtbr member
    Awesome! Have fun, gckless!