lightweight armor?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

lightweight armor?

Hello,

I've been more of an XC rider all of my life and recently have been hitting more "all-mountain" type riding. With that said, I'm getting more falls with having more ballz. Any recommendations of light gear like elbow / knee pads that are light enough to actually ride some XC with? I don't need full DH gear or anything... Need something slick that isn't big and noticeable...

mtbr member
    661 EVO Lite XC (or 661 EVO). The lite XC line provides decent protection and is not too bulky or heavy. I ride it all summer long in 95+ degree weather. (I use Roach Rally Free ride pads (arm and leg) for the rest of the year, but just too hot in the summer).

I also like the fact that the Lite XC pads can be put on with out removing shoes.

It does not have the protection compared to other (heavier) armor, but for what you are describing it might be the perfect fit. I have taken some decent falls with no issues, complaints, and most importantly no injuries.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What would you guys recommend to start with? What are the essentials besides helmet and gloves? Knee pads next on the list? What does everyone ride with?

mtbr member
    Knee pads 1st. Then Elbow.

If you feel the need, you can go for full knee/shin but you will be getting into some of the heavier armor (meaning, hotter, possibly bulkier, and more protection). Not that there is anything wrong with the heavier armor (I use it 8 months out of the year for everything including 20 mi XC rides).

It really depends on personal preference. I have ridden with armor for years and have generally been one of the few riders with protection. Lately, I am starting to see more pads on the the trail though. As I get older and ride harder I just don't want the bumps and cuts that go with crashes and am OK being the only guy out with armor on occasion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    so it sounds like the knees are what hit first generally, or your wrists...

Gnar
    The 661 Kyle Strait knee guard and 661 2 x 4 elbow guard are good lightweight choices for AM riding. I had a big crash over the weekend and everything ended up dirty and most importantly stayed in place and did it’s job. When you get up and look at how dirty your pads are it is clear to see where the impact points are. I was glad I had pads on, really saved me. I have heavier pads for DH.

Jul 2009
    Chainlove has had light armor up (now and then) all week, if your looking for deals.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    the evos lite seem a lot more expensive than the the others... any reason why?

mtbr member
    Basically its the D30 padding that is soft and pliable but hardens on impact. 661 has a good video on their website demonstrating the material. Its actually pretty cool stuff.

The cheaper ones use foam or plastic which still works well. The D30 is less bulky and rigid but much more expensive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ejewels
    so it sounds like the knees are what hit first generally, or your wrists...
    That's something you might have to figure out for yourself.
    I think it's worth having the leg and arm protection, then wear whichever suits a particular ride.

For me there are some trails where I'm not likely to bang up my legs, but often bounce/slide off trees with my shoulders or elbows, so the elbow pads come in handy.

mtbr member

Dainese 3X/ Forget I have em on!!

I have tried a lot of pads, and the Dainese are light, and you can pedal all day in them without any chafing. Even my girlfriend likes hers, and she is way more picky about fit then me!!

Do a search for "Pics of Knee Pads/Leg Armor(to help a FAQ)"

I took some pictures of some different pads. The Dainese are also some of the easiest to pack, as they are compact, and light. We use ours all the time, and they are holding up really well. No fraying straps or anything in over a year of solid use.

mtbr member
    I use THE knee/shin combo during the summer in FL to race BMX. Don't feel them on . Vary light and comfortable.

Members who have read this thread: 0