Lightest shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Lightest shoes

Sep 2004

Lightest shoes

Hello

Can you say me which are the lightest shoes for MTB / Cross?
    I've already looked at the WW-Site but there aren't so many weights of shoes.
    And I think the weight of shoes plays an importantroll because this is rotating mass too.

Thanks
    Yves

mtbr member
    Just make sure you cut your toenails before a race, that's an extra few grams right there.

Trying to find Flow
    Quote Originally Posted by yves
    Hello

And I think the weight of shoes plays an importantroll because this is rotating mass too.

Thanks
    Yves
    If you want to drop coin for custom, Rocket 7s are probably the lightest. Other than that, check out DMT. I think they're the lightest production shoe, followed perhaps by the Nike Ligure or perhaps Sidis. Shimano carbons are anchors.

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Patchito
    If you want to drop coin for custom, Rocket 7s are probably the lightest. Other than that, check out DMT. I think they're the lightest production shoe, followed perhaps by the Nike Ligure or perhaps Sidis. Shimano carbons are anchors.
    I think the Sidis have a reasonable amount of weight.

See http://weightweenies.starbike.com/
    Trev!

Jan 2004

rocket7, the lightest

Quote Originally Posted by yves
    Hello

Thanks
    Yves
    check them out, lightest for sure, yet at $450 plus/pair and ugly looking...
    http://www.rocket7.com/cyclingmtb.html
    good luck.

Just passing through....
    I bought the SIDI's because they are very light, but also the most comfortable of the shoes that I tried, at least for my foot shape.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

Max
    Velodramatic
    the DMT "RSX Ultimax Carbon" or whatever they are called surely are the lightest ones. the all-velcro strap version is claimed 600 g/pair, the 2-velcro/1 ratchet version (super!) 660 g. The carbon sole is incredible stiff, and the shoe is one of the few that really fits my rather narrow feet. the new glossy finish looks super-pimp

Skinny guys fight 'til they're burger

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic
    I bought the SIDI's because they are very light, but also the most comfortable of the shoes that I tried, at least for my foot shape.

Sidis definitely provide brilliant comfort and a great fit. No need to spend $450 on a shoe.
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

i had rocket 7's

note "had". those shoes were light but they are butt ugly and have absolutely
    the worst quality i have ever seen. i dont think they are durable enough
    to last 1 yr mtb'ing. their construction looks like a 5yr old made them.
    junk, get sidi's for the best fit, they have narrow and wide widths.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy
    Just make sure you cut your toenails before a race, that's an extra few grams right there.
    I was thinking no shoes to get the feet lighter, and I had suggested drilling out body parts once when drilling soles of shoes was discussed. I guess people need to do what makes them feel good, but I have observed that good genes, training and drive do the most.

Max
    Velodramatic
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger
    I was thinking no shoes to get the feet lighter, and I had suggested drilling out body parts once when drilling soles of shoes was discussed. I guess people need to do what makes them feel good, but I have observed that good genes, training and drive do the most.
    oh, you guys are soooooo funny go ask Jay Leno for a job. the orig. poster's Q was what the lightest shoes were

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

DMT MTB shoes

The new DMT with 3 velcro straps is called the reflex. Same upper as their Kyoma road shoe. The shoe has a new all carbon sole. It is really stiff and pedals like a road shoe.
    I had to modify mine. Lugs on sole were too deep for crank bros. candy ti pedals. I also put skateboard grip tape over the exposed carbon in the middle of the sole because it was so slick that you could slip off the pedal when trying to find it.
    If you want a pair of shoes that matches the performace of your road shoes- DMT is it.
    Unfortunately they are not available yet in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    the DMT "RSX Ultimax Carbon" or whatever they are called surely are the lightest ones. the all-velcro strap version is claimed 600 g/pair, the 2-velcro/1 ratchet version (super!) 660 g. The carbon sole is incredible stiff, and the shoe is one of the few that really fits my rather narrow feet. the new glossy finish looks super-pimp

Max
    Velodramatic
    i glued some tire thread to the soles of my ultimax carbon road shoes. the pearl-white looks so awesome i couldnt resist racing these shoes on my MTB. call my a poser
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    yeah I almost lost my breakfast when I clicked that link to the rocket 7's. Sidi's are a pretty safe bet for most, but just didn't fit my feet right (I have flat, wide feet).

I was thinking about that road shoe comment. Anyone ever use road shoes on a XC course that you don't have to come unclipped? I can see that working.

Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger
    Why are you telling this sh*t? This was a serious question. I'm a Cyclo-Cross racer and there the weight plays a role. I let you drive with your 1000g shoes but I prefer light shoes, like the DMT 600g.

And here, we are in the LIGHTWEIGHT-FORUM!!!!

Especially in Cyclo-Cross where you often jump from the bike and run with it. There, you're happy when you have light shoes, especially at the end of the race. And it's good for the morale.

Yves

mtbr member
    It's a joke. Get over yourself.

Trail rider and racer
    i glued some tire thread to the soles of my ultimax carbon road shoes. the pearl-white looks so awesome i couldnt resist racing these shoes on my MTB. call my a poser
    I know a few racers that use road shoes on the MTB. I have a pair of Sidi Ergo 1's lying down with my bike stuff and would like to use them on the mountain bike. They are great comfortable and light weight shoes.

I might copy your tire tread idea.
    Trev!

mtbr member

661 Peaks, lighter than my Dom 4's

Bought some of the 661 Peak shoes from Jenson's the other day for the closeout price of $78.... Bargain, lighter than my Sidi's and would have been very comfortable if they weren't too darn big!!!! Arrr

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Good job!

Do you have a picture of the sole of these awesome shoes??

Max
    Velodramatic
    i'm afraid i don't. I've been at home for almost 2 weeks now due to my post-surgery recovery, and my DMTs are in the office. But here's what i did: I cut out a piece of tire thread, with a hole where later the speedplay cleat would be. The thread streches from the toes (for running uphill) to the middle of the sole (in case you have to ride without being clicked into the pedals). I roughened the sole with sandpaper, degreased everything and used some epoxy-resin to glue the thread onto the sole. You might as well try to bolt the rubber to the sole, but be careful to cut off the excessing bolt length inside the shoe

Feb 2004
    These are road shoes though right? The same ones you glued tire tread on? So what did they weigh afterwards and what size are yours?

Do you know the DMT website?

Max
    Velodramatic
    it's www.diamantdmt.com

my shoes prior to the glueing weighed 694 g/pair in 42, that is including Speedplay frog cleats. So the claimed weight of 624 g in 41 might be very accurate. According to DMT the all-velcro versions weigh 30 g less, but after years of racing, i prefer ratchets (excepts those from Northwave )

After-glueing weights when i wilol finally have made it to the office

Feb 2004
    it's www.diamantdmt.com

my shoes prior to the glueing weighed 694 g/pair in 42, that is including Speedplay frog cleats. So the claimed weight of 624 g in 41 might be very accurate. According to DMT the all-velcro versions weigh 30 g less, but after years of racing, i prefer ratchets (excepts those from Northwave )

After-glueing weights when i wilol finally have made it to the office
    It's interesting that their two top MTB shoes (Watt and Reflex) are both lighter than your road Ultimax that have no tread. Does this make any sense to you? Those Reflex without ratchets are really light if that is accurate. The pearl does look awesome but is it only because of the pearl colour that you prefer your heavier road shoes?

I have Sidi Eagle MTB right now size 47, about 800 g. The fit is great and they have good cooling because of all the mesh but I can see lots of places on them where they have unnecessary weight. It would be nice to get something lighter.

The DMT also look great in a different sort of way. More aggressive, less classic Italian. I have heard that the fit is not as good as Sidi and that the ventilation isn't as good either but who knows.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    that´s a very good idea Max. José Antonio Hermida (merida team, bronze medal at the olimpics) used sidis a time ago (neraly nearly all pro racers without shoes sponsorship use sidi´s) and he used road sidis with pieces of michelin green mtb tires glued on the sole.

Max
    Velodramatic
    well, i suppose either the MTB shoes are claimed with a weight that is too low, or in a smaller size, or they changed the sole since 2003 (wich is the production year of my ultimax). For 2006 the Watt models and the Reflex models have different carbon soles, at leat they have this new "scott scale" 12K weave look. They are claimed 660g/pair and 600g/pair, respectively.

Members who have read this thread: 0