lighter more accurate fitting flat pedal shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

lighter more accurate fitting flat pedal shoes

So,
    I've been back and forth on my flats shoes or cleats for a few years. When I want to feel light and fast, I run cleats, when I want to feel free and playful and less "linear", I run my five ten freeriders on good flat pedals,

but,

at almost 50, and less into overall speed, I am thinking I may start riding my flats more.

Here's what I've been thinking.

seems like someone, addidas, five ten or the like should create a lighter shoe with it's wonderful sticky rubber.
    I go from my xc race shoes and gain 3/4 lb per foot, just seems like it shouldn't be that much... a better fitting, lighter, moderately stiff shoe shouldn't be that hard to create?

I really like the feel of my sleuth, the dirtbag looks cozy and light, and the spitfire is lighter but they all use the marathon rubber that just doesn't grip near as well as s 1 rubber.

Anyone know of a shoe I'm missing. Something light, sticky but not super stiff?

Thx!
    W

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    So,

just out for a short test ride w/ 1 shoe on each foot..
    the fit, weight and pedal feel of my 5 10 sleuth w/ the rubber of my freerider would be a great combo.

5 10 says they can't resole, will keep trying.

while i'm at it.

3 pair high end clipless shoes for sale in classified section, committing to the choice.

cheers,
    W

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    I use vans canvas shoes and composite pedals. Exceptionally light combo, and composite pedals are good for feet not being beat to death since shoes are fairly thin. But stick like glue for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    The new FiveTen Freerider Pro with S1 seem very similar in width of the Sleuth.

Their site shows the FRP at 338g and no weight listed for the Sleuth. I guess the FRP are lighter??.

How about when they break in, Freeriders seems to get pretty soft.

lighter more accurate fitting flat pedal shoes-traxfactory_freerider.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    SO far I like my Freerider Pros I picked up a few weeks ago. Replaced my couple years old Danny MacAskill Freeriders. Lighter and stiffer than those, fits the same. No way they're going to be as light as my Northwave carbon soled clown shoes, but they are fine. Even ended up using them during rain day rides and they did not becomes total soggy waterbags.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    I use vans canvas shoes and composite pedals. Exceptionally light combo, and composite pedals are good for feet not being beat to death since shoes are fairly thin. But stick like glue for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Agree here on both counts.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

since 4/10/2009
    Also...nobody on the internet is going to be able to tell you what shoes fit better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I ordered a macaskill to try, maybe similar fit to sleuth, so lower profile but with s1.
    Hope that will get closer.
    Interesting on vans and composite, may check that out, doesn't seem it would tacky, but sounds worth a shot.

thx!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Also...nobody on the internet is going to be able to tell you what shoes fit better.
    this is less about fit and more about general style. I think the idea that my giro terraduro is an accurate thin fit and a freerider is a less precise feel make sense?

Thx!
    W

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by holiday View Post
    this is less about fit and more about general style. I think the idea that my giro terraduro is an accurate thin fit and a freerider is a less precise feel make sense?

Thx!
    W
    No, makes no sense to me. 5.10s are the first bike shoes that were not too tight for me. Giro, in particular, has always been too narrow and pinched my feet.

I do prefer the Freerider Contact to the reg Freeriders. They are stiffer and I like the little bit of toe protection they offer. Sole is super sticky. I have also tried the Freerider Pro, and they fit well, but gave me a very dead/muted connection to the bike.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thx!

planning to try contacts and macaskill, and based on RAKc's thoughts, trying a pair of composite pedals w/ threaded steel pins.

Thx for help.

Cheers,
    W

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Huh, I just weighed the shoes I have, old top grain Freerider MacAskills, 470g, Freerider Pro 360g, Northwave carbon soled clipless 420g. Interesting, so my current flat pedal setup is lighter than my xc clipless setup!