lighter armor for shuttling?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. lighter armor for shuttling?

I've read tons of threads and lots of product reviews but still can't decide whether to hang the flak jacket up for the hot summer months and get something a little less bulky.

My only concern is whether I'm going to regret having the full suit if i happen to wipe bad.

this is what I am looking at.
    RG TrailStar
    661 Core Saver

only for shuttling and DH...so it has to work if i eat it...

I noticed the TrailStar does not have a belt. Won't it just move around on impact? What's stopping it from twisting around?

Underskilled
    Are you asking us to analyze your risk....

You already know the answer to your question.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Been using the Skeletools Impact Vest for a while as light armor.

It's light, quik/easy to put on, minimal bulk.

Vents/breathes well.

Feels about as light as armor can go while still offering good protection.

Remove the shoulder pads/cups and it's very light.

Decent spine protection. Comfy under a Camelsak and jersey.

Wear mine over a light synthetic T-shirt on hot days. Zips up the front so it's easy to vent and cool down after a run and on the shuttle/pedal back up.

Professional Troll
    The coresaver doesn't offer much more than back protection. If you want light armor 661 stuff. The hardshell part isn't so hard anymore. Its flexible more like their kyle strait knee pads.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The core saver definitely has less protection than a full suit, but still protects pretty well for it's intended purpose. It has a full spine protector with removable upper plates to make it totally compatible with a brace like the Leatt. It has a chest plastic chest plate, although it is not as substantial as some (softer and thinner material. There is padding on the top of the shoulder (no shoulder "cup"), and there is padding through the kidney area (better than most armor). It's light, fairly cool, and easy to get on/off. You can supplement with elbow/forearm protection, neck brace, etc. as needed for the type of riding you are doing. It works well over or under a jersey too. It's not what everybody is looking for, but it does what it's designed to pretty well.

I would also suggest looking at the POC VPD Tee. It has spine, shoulder and chest protection in a lightweight, short sleeve package.

mtbr member

trailstar

Quote Originally Posted by godfather
    The core saver definitely has less protection than a full suit, but still protects pretty well for it's intended purpose. It has a full spine protector with removable upper plates to make it totally compatible with a brace like the Leatt. It has a chest plastic chest plate, although it is not as substantial as some (softer and thinner material. There is padding on the top of the shoulder (no shoulder "cup"), and there is padding through the kidney area (better than most armor). It's light, fairly cool, and easy to get on/off. You can supplement with elbow/forearm protection, neck brace, etc. as needed for the type of riding you are doing. It works well over or under a jersey too. It's not what everybody is looking for, but it does what it's designed to pretty well.

I would also suggest looking at the POC VPD Tee. It has spine, shoulder and chest protection in a lightweight, short sleeve package.

the trailstar had shoulder protection, a nice spine protector and a hard shell chest. And it does look like it will breathe much better than the full suit. Plus I can integrate my RG elbow pads.

My concern is the lack of a belt to hold it in place.

I think I may bite the bullet and order one since they are priced right.

mtbr member
    If shuttling I bring my heavy stuff, if I am actually pedalling up the hill I will use my lighter stuff (easier to carry)

mtbr member
    i just tightened up the straps on my flak jacket...feels much better.
    Anyone notice that the trailstar looks similar to a roost protector...but with nicely placed plastic protection?

mtbr member
    I like the TLD Body Guard 2 chest protector for the summer.

Then you can take off your elbow pads and put them in your pack for the warm hike/shuttle back to the top.

mtbr member
    I really like my core saver. I got it in lieu of my flak jacket as it was just too bulky. I've ridden for two trips at whistler now and its been great so far. haven't taken any huge spills, but i'm so much more mobile it in i feel like its a lot more beneficial to my riding. I wear a leatt with it and a set of elbow pads too. So far its been my favorite setup for protection. still feel covered, but not like your wearing a straight jacket. found i actually wreck less since i feel better on the bike... but still have all the critical things covered (neck, spine, kidneys, chest,). i do wish they would have put a stiff plastic cup in the shoulders though...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yomattyo
    I really like my core saver. I got it in lieu of my flak jacket as it was just too bulky. I've ridden for two trips at whistler now and its been great so far. haven't taken any huge spills, but i'm so much more mobile it in i feel like its a lot more beneficial to my riding. I wear a leatt with it and a set of elbow pads too. So far its been my favorite setup for protection. still feel covered, but not like your wearing a straight jacket. found i actually wreck less since i feel better on the bike... but still have all the critical things covered (neck, spine, kidneys, chest,). i do wish they would have put a stiff plastic cup in the shoulders though...
    I would tend to agree with this assessment of the Core Saver. My experience has been similar. It's too bad you can't combine some of the best attributes from a couple of pieces to get everything you want. I'd love to see the POC VPD Tee with its VPD spine protector, shoulder caps, and chest plates with the Leatt compatibility and kidney protection of the Core Saver.

Members who have read this thread: 0