Lifespan of a helmet?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Lifespan of a helmet?

I bought my Specialized Mountain Man helmet back in 1998. Since then, I went about 4 years without a bike so it just sat in a box. It's not taken any serious hits but should I replace it anyway? I've read that helmets degrade over time and should be replaced once they get too old. Is this good advice or mearly helmet manufacturer paranoia in order to generate sales?

Jan 2004

Your helmet should be just fine for several more years

Quote Originally Posted by Vecsus
    I bought my Specialized Mountain Man helmet back in 1998. Since then, I went about 4 years without a bike so it just sat in a box. It's not taken any serious hits but should I replace it anyway? I've read that helmets degrade over time and should be replaced once they get too old. Is this good advice or mearly helmet manufacturer paranoia in order to generate sales?
    For all practical purposes, your helmet is only 2 years old.
    Don't believe all the "degrading" stories or the "sunlight" stories.
    BTW, my helmet was purchased in 1994 and the only reason I am thinking about a new one is for better ventilation.

See what the "Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute" says...

http://www.bhsi.org/guide.htm

"When Must I Replace a Helmet?
    Replace any helmet if you crash. Impact crushes some of the foam, although the damage may not be visible. Helmets work so well that you need to examine them for marks or dents to know if you hit.

Most manufacturers recommend replacement after five years.

" We think that depends on usage, and most helmets given reasonable care are good for longer than that."

But if your helmet is from the 70's, it's time to replace it. Replace the buckle if it cracks or a piece breaks off. No one requires you to replace your helmet, so give it some individual thought. "
    ================================================== ==========

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester
    When Must I Replace a Helmet?
    Replace any helmet if you crash. Impact crushes some of the foam, although the damage may not be visible. Helmets work so well that you need to examine them for marks or dents to know if you hit.

Most manufacturers recommend replacement after five years.

" We think that depends on usage, and most helmets given reasonable care are good for longer than that."

But if your helmet is from the 70's, it's time to replace it. Replace the buckle if it cracks or a piece breaks off. No one requires you to replace your helmet, so give it some individual thought. "
    Five years seems reasonable, maybe longer for In-moulded helmets. For older helmets, ones with the outer shell attached with tape (5 years is good for me). But since it sat in the box in a dark, cool place (I assume) for 4 years, 2 years in the sun/moonlight maybe you can keep it til it breaks or 2 years.

My dad had a helmet from 1998, the outer shell separated from the EPS. It was a Bell Oasis Pro.

Give the helmet a squeeze, if you feel flexing or 'depressing' on the shell, it's time for a new, stronger, better fitting and venting helmet.

Jul 2004

Would that damage be enough to get a new helmet.

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Quote Originally Posted by welsh0913

Would that damage be enough to get a new helmet.
    Absolutly!... try not to ride around on that helmet, Get a new helmet immediatly, now, today or tommorrow.

Don't put it off, put it on the top of your To Do list.