Life Span of MTB shoes??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Life Span of MTB shoes??

This is my third season using a pair of Sidi Dominator 5's. When I forked out $230 for these shoes, I was thinking I would never have to buy another pair of MTB shoes, that they would last forever...hmmmm, what was I thinking??

I have a really narrow foot and these seemed to fit really well. These shoes have always been so comfortable, never even thought about them when I was riding. Now, all of sudden, my feet are really hurting. It seems like my foot is being pushed forward and my toes are really tight up against the front and top of the shoe. Has anyone else had this problem? I feel like the shoe has lost all its support.

Not sure how long these shoes should last, but if it's only a couple of seasons, I think I will be spending my $$ elsewhere.

I sure would appreciate hearing about anyone's experience with these shoes.

Thanks.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    I think 2 seasons is a realistic expectation, especially if you ride in mud, or in close proximity to rocks.

DeForest Stump
    i don't have experience with those particular shoes, but if your toes are pressing up against the front it sounds like the next larger size would have been better. Did you try the next size on for comparison? How about the straps, do they seem to be loosening by themselves? That's the only reason I can think of that your toes would touch now and not before.
    2 seasons doesn't sound like very good longevity to me. But then I use most of my gear 'till it's pretty much shredded.

...2 wheel terror...
    I think 2-3 seasons depending on the use and quality of shoe is reasonable. I just replaced my Specialized Carbon Pros with another set. Lasted about 2.5 season of lots of riding.

don't try this at home
    i got a solid 8-9 years out of a pair of sidis and just replaced them with some Big S BG shoes. maybe my foot conformed to the changes in the shoe. main reason i replaced them was because one of the strap buckles is barely hanging on. would of gone sidi again if i could afford them this time around. figure the BGs would do for at least a year or two.
    will you rep me?

nocturnal oblivion
    Poor guess: Did you change your day to day footwear to something with less arch support? Have you been riding evenings instead of mornings?
    After 2 seasons my Sidis have one more in them, but they're developing deep gouges. Not what you're describing.
    Maybe put in a small arch support, may relieve the newfound pain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Arch support...

Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble
    Poor guess: Did you change your day to day footwear to something with less arch support? Have you been riding evenings instead of mornings?
    After 2 seasons my Sidis have one more in them, but they're developing deep gouges. Not what you're describing.
    Maybe put in a small arch support, may relieve the newfound pain.
    Actually I did try some new inserts, but the problem is there is not enough room (height) in the toe box to accomodate any additional padding.

The only thing I can think of is I went through a creek about a month ago and the shoes got soaked. I stuffed them w/newspaper while they dried. Not sure if Lorica shrinks like leather, but perhaps the fibers broke down or something.

I thought I may bring them in to a shoe repair and see if the front part of the shoe can be streched out...figure it can't hurt.

Thanks everyone for your input...it's appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Lake mx 165 lasted 2.5 years, with plenty o' hike-a-bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moschika
    i got a solid 8-9 years out of a pair of sidis and just replaced them with some Big S BG shoes. maybe my foot conformed to the changes in the shoe. main reason i replaced them was because one of the strap buckles is barely hanging on. would of gone sidi again if i could afford them this time around. figure the BGs would do for at least a year or two.
    The strap on my BG shoes broke after two seasons. Spec told me to get ****ed.
    :wq

mtbr member
    I got less than a year out of my Specialized shoes before they started to fall apart. I just dealt with them for about 2 seasons before they became pretty useless.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Starting my 14th year on my Time Team mtb shoes

7 seasons and counting on my Sidi road shoes
    8 winters on my Sidi winter boots/shoes.

In my experience cycling shoes do last "forever"

The Lorica generally holds up to water much better than leather. My Sidi's have been thouroughly soaked dozens of times and are in great shape.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    3yrs is typical but it depends on how many hours you have on them. 3 yrs would be unusally long for me. I've had many different brands and all of them about the same.

what I don't like is how my Time pedals' cleats dig into the soles and make the fit a bit sloppy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by K9er
    Actually I did try some new inserts, but the problem is there is not enough room (height) in the toe box to accomodate any additional padding.

The only thing I can think of is I went through a creek about a month ago and the shoes got soaked. I stuffed them w/newspaper while they dried. Not sure if Lorica shrinks like leather, but perhaps the fibers broke down or something.

I thought I may bring them in to a shoe repair and see if the front part of the shoe can be streched out...figure it can't hurt.

Thanks everyone for your input...it's appreciated.

I'm just speculating here, from my experiences, so... two things to try to save your shoes.

First, I also have a long, very narrow foot. So skinny, it's hard to find shoes/boots that my foot will fill up the volume, and when the volume of the shoe is not filled up, your foot will slide around, jamming your toes to the front. Sometimes, I just can't strap them down tight enough to keep them from sliding forward. Shoes also tend to stretch out over time.

My solution is to go to a crafts store, and pick up some 1/2" foam padding. Cut it slightly smaller than the tongue of the shoe, and put it under the tongue, on top of my foot. This takes up the extra space, thus not allowing my foot to slide forward. I've eventually had to do this to every biking shoe, and every hiking boot, I've ever owned. It works.

Second, when you got them soaked, they very well could've shrunk or stretched. Try getting them thoroughly soaked again, strap them down tight, and walk around in them until they're almost dry, reshaping them to your foot. You could also try getting one of those shoe stretcher things from a shoe repair store, if they did indeed shrink.

Another thing is, the sole will slowly lose it's stiffness over time. Bike shoes, no matter how expensive, will not last forever. 3 - 5 years of regular use, is probably max. I normally only get 2, maybe 3, years out of a good shoe, before the sole gets too flexy. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Lake mx 165 lasted 2.5 years, with plenty o' hike-a-bike.
    I'm also on the third year with my Lake mx 165. The leather looks a little worn but in good condition. The Vibram soles still look great. The soles of the Answer and Shimano shoes I used to buy would be half gone by the same time.

MTB Rider
    3 years out of Specialized. They're still wearable but the lugs are starting to disintegrate.

mtbr member
    I have a pair of Shimanos that I've had for 5 years, just about done now, losing chunks of sole, but they've been great, worn them commuting, roading and mtb'ing including a couple of years of 4000 km on them!

Fat-tired Roadie
    10 years on my Sidis.

What insole did you try? I have Specialized Body Geometry insoles, and I can't strap the higher strap on my shoe across as far, but I don't remember a difference in the toe box. I think my feet move around less too, and having the extra support is one of the things that keeps my knee problem at bay.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    3 years and counting out of my, almost embarassed to say, Sette shoes. Combo pack with frigging welgos. I know Sette is 99% cheap ass crap but I swear these shoes are not bad.

local trails rider
    I have about 5 years on a budget pair off stiff XC slippers. They have been getting flexy and look awful. That pair is used mainly for commuting now.

Less than a year, and counting, on a nice pair of Shimano shoes I grabbed from a clearance sale... Should last a while longer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

It ain't over till it's over....

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    10 years on my Sidis.

What insole did you try? I have Specialized Body Geometry insoles, and I can't strap the higher strap on my shoe across as far, but I don't remember a difference in the toe box. I think my feet move around less too, and having the extra support is one of the things that keeps my knee problem at bay.
    Yup, I got the same insoles.

Someone told me to soak my shoes then ride with them so they will form back to my foot. Figure I have nothing to lose. The soles/ratchet/straps are all in great shape.

I'm really thinking the problem stems from when I initially got them wet and stuffed them with newspaper to dry.

I got some good info from this thread...I'm not giving up yet!

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by viking159
    3 years and counting out of my, almost embarassed to say, Sette shoes. Combo pack with frigging welgos. I know Sette is 99% cheap ass crap but I swear these shoes are not bad.
    The Performance Forte brand is pretty awesome, too. Great value. Seems like they've stopped making them with the buckles, though.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/mtb-apparel-...97_144crx.aspx

Edit: Looks like they still carry the CM410, in very few sizes, which has the buckles.
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Members who have read this thread: 1