Let's talk helmets for casual riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Let's talk helmets for casual riding

I am interested in upgrading my helmet. I had this helmet for a bunch of years and back in the day when I read about how much they said that they all have to meet a certain standard and regardless of which one you buy you have equal protection which personally I don't believe. So with that in mind I am looking to upgrade my helmet. I am looking for home at recommendations. And just a basic Trail Rider. Thank you in advance

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am buying one this week - one has broken innards, one is a worn out science project.

Fit and coverage will be most important. I'll consider MIPS. I had a fall with a more race or traditional oriented helmet on elevated trail I rode successfully many times and got a concussion. I was aware of my head moving or spinning, and I got a cut on back of head where the replacement helmets covered. With that experience I'll stick with more coverage in the rear and look for a MIPS type that fits well.

I'm not sure you need to buy a high end helmet. I had the innards break on a trip with a more basic one and the only helmet that fit my large head was a more expensive Giro so bought it. It's innards broke in about the same amount of use. My wife has a less expensive model with similar coverage that seems just fine. We probably ride a lot (2-6x or even 7x a week) so I am not sure I want to spend big $ when just using the stuff makes it break and wear out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Fox Flux is popular around here. Comfortable and can take a beating.
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Flux is a mediocre helmet IME. Venting isn't that great at low speeds. Weight was on the heavier side. At least they fixed the retention system to a dial type so you can use it one handed. The old style was simply terrible. The visor is not adjustable so it's in a worthless position for me.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    My advice - go to your local bike shop. Try on every helmet they have in your size. Shake your head and nod your head with the chin strap not done up - the helmet should be comfortable and not move around. It should be snug but not uncomfortable and not have any pressure points or gaps where the pads in the helmet should be touching your head.

If you find a helmet that fits well, buy it. If not head to the next shop and try again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Trying them all on is the only way IMO too.

Helmets are pretty much a money no object thing for me but its always been the $50 - $75 ones that feel the best.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I ended up buying a Troy Lee A1 Classic. Picked it up from REI and it seems like a very comfortable helmet

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I posted a similar post on this. I think you should look for one that has MIPS, or maybe look at a company like Kali Protective (no I don't work for them but that would be cool)!

I'm going to look for helmets only with those advanced safety features going forward.

And then of course what fits you well, is comfortable, has ventilation you want and style you like.
    Sound of Tires on Dirt: Sole Music
    Rides shared with friends: Soul Music

Turns right, slides left
    Quote Originally Posted by adamant0 View Post
    I ended up buying a Troy Lee A1 Classic. Picked it up from REI and it seems like a very comfortable helmet

That is a great hemet. The only downside is its ventilation could be better for hot days.

mtbr member
    I have a cheap Bell Terrain for casual riding, it has better coverage than many other open face bike hemets. And I wear a Bell Super 2r for any technical stuff. I had planned to wear the 2r all the time, but found I do not like the way if fits and feels with out the chin bar.

mtbr member
    OMB :thumbsup:
    2019 Yeti SB130 Turq XX1
    2017 Santa Cruz HighTower C
    2016 Specialized Fuse Comp
    2016 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I use a Bell super 3 with mips, great coverage, comfortable and looks cool.
    Just be aware they do come up a bit large. My head measures 59cm and ended up getting the M as the large although was the correct size on paper it was huge on my head.