Let's talk about base layers for warm weather riding- Mtbr.com
    Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004

Let's talk about base layers for warm weather riding

Do they actually keep you cooler? Why? How?

I started wearing UA compression shirts for extra insulation this winter and you can feel them retaining heat almost as soon as you put them on, and they do a great job keeping a cold somewhat sweaty jersey from touching your soft, bare, skin. So I'm confused as to how an additional layer of moisture wicking material is supposed to keep you cooler.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    To me, no. But I have been wearing my road sun sleeves a lot now and they seem to work well. Arms are cooler from the sun not directly beating on them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    2 layers are warmer. Try one loose layer, start there.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    2 layers are warmer. Try one loose layer, start there.
    One tight layer is cooler, because it draws moisture off your skin to be evaporated more effectively, but I only do that on the road bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    One tight layer is cooler, because it draws moisture off your skin to be evaporated more effectively, but I only do that on the road bike.
    Is that for abrasion protection? To me base layers and warm weather aren't compatible things. I probably should wear baggies over my bibs and a heavier jersey for a little extra protection but it's hard to beat a roadie kit for comfort and keeping cool.

mtbr member
    I wear a base layer on warm days too, but only on the road bike. I wear a pack most of the time on dirt...so with the pack against my back I don't feel like the base layer is doing much.

Rides around an hour I'll wear the roadie kit and no pack, but with the loose shorts for some protection.

mtbr member
    I started wearing an Endura merino base layer a few winters ago,while I was buying it the guys at my LBS said I should wear a base layer all year round !!
    So I went home and did a search online,results saying pertty much the same thing,they wick sweat away from the body into the material allowing it to evaporate more easily!.
    So I bought a short sleeve On-One base layer for 12 (around $18!) just to give them a try in summer,its 70% polypropylene,22% polymide,8% elastane.Its a snug fit but super stretchy so you dont even know youre wearing it.
    I hate the heat and putting a base layer under my jersey in summer seemed insane to me lol, but it worked great and i was definitely cooler.In temps close to 30'c (85f) it didnt feel any cooler but still much more comfortable and less clammy.
    Now I have a few of the On-One base layers and 2 short sleeve Endura merino base layers for when its a little cooler and long sleeves for winter.
    I wont ride without 1 now,and even wear 1 when Im just out walking now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    For me, mt biking in the heat, 80-100F, 1 loose layer is cooler, YRMV.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Joss002 View Post
    I started wearing an Endura merino base layer a few winters ago,while I was buying it the guys at my LBS said I should wear a base layer all year round !!
    So I went home and did a search online,results saying pertty much the same thing,they wick sweat away from the body into the material allowing it to evaporate more easily!.
    So I bought a short sleeve On-One base layer for 12 (around $18!) just to give them a try in summer,its 70% polypropylene,22% polymide,8% elastane.Its a snug fit but super stretchy so you dont even know youre wearing it.
    I hate the heat and putting a base layer under my jersey in summer seemed insane to me lol, but it worked great and i was definitely cooler.In temps close to 30'c (85f) it didnt feel any cooler but still much more comfortable and less clammy.
    Now I have a few of the On-One base layers and 2 short sleeve Endura merino base layers for when its a little cooler and long sleeves for winter.
    I wont ride without 1 now,and even wear 1 when Im just out walking now.
    85F? Try 95 with high humidity. Ones UK's " summer" is a New Englanders warm day. Not Hot. For really hot try TX, FL or such. 100-115 or so. Just use what works for you in your own situation.