Leg Armor You Actually Ride With- Mtbr.com
    a.k.a. MTBMaven

Leg Armor You Actually Ride With

After several recent accidents, with my Roach Freeride leg armor strapped to my hydration pack, I'm looking for something I can wear while riding. Living in SoCal and being a generally warm person I need something that breath really well.

Question:
    What leg armor do you actually ride with for multiple miles, not just when going downhill?

Not trying to whine here, my accident this past Sunday ended with 8 stitches.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

yeah, uh............bikes
    I've never tried it but I think that soccer shin guards would work pretty well. They're really light and can take quite a bit of abuse.

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Soccer Shin Guards

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFish
    I've never tried it but I think that soccer shin guards would work pretty well. They're really light and can take quite a bit of abuse.
    That's really funny, because sense submitting this post I've been looking at soccer shin guards. I think the biggest issues with the two leg armor products I've used in the past is that they have knee guards. My older, entry-level Fox guards didn't have a separate strap for the knee which sucked IMO when not pedaling going down, and my current Roach guards have the extra strap which I undo when needed to pedal for any length of time, which I try to minimize.

The other problem is the heat generated by these products. I wish there was better ventilation with these things, even the soccer guards. They all have solid plastic plates or solid neoprene, in the case of soft guards. For the protection I'm looking for I don't need this much protection. Vents in the front would provide enough protection and allow wind to cool off my legs.

The soccer guards seem cheap enough, $10-$20 for a mid-priced pair. I might just get some to test them out.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    I took a nasty dive back at the beginning of the year....tore up one of my knees pretty bad - lucked out that nothing broke and no permanent damage other than a nice, big scar. Knowing very well I never wanted to go through with that pain again, I picked up a pair of these....which may be the same Roach (now RaceFace) guards you mentioned....

http://pricepoint.com/detail/13077-5...-Leg-Armor.htm

Yeah, they do get warm, but I assume that that's what you get with a piece of armor like that (I hear the DH version of these guards are much worse) However, they are super comfortable and you gotta love the double/criss-cross strap behind the knee - they don't go anywhere (and do not get in the way) when pedaling.

hands up who wants to die
    Roach/RaceFace FRs are about the best you can get for pedaling. They are too warm for ya? I understand that... I just hate having anything on my legs, but pedal strikes and crashes have forced me to get over it.

Mine only chafe when they get too much mud/rocks underneath 'em.

-r
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

conjoinicorned
    i have dianese with an open back. they have plenty of straps, they pedal great, have a good hard shell and are waaaaay cooler than full wrap armor.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Roach Armor

I have the Roach Rally FR, with straps, an open back, and straps to keep the knee guards tight. These thinks are way too hot for normal riding.

I also have a pair of Fox Standard Knee Guards. I'm thinking about cutting off the knee guard and cutting out holes in the plastic to allow for greater air flow.

otbmbc.com
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    After several recent accidents, with my Roach Freeride leg armor strapped to my hydration pack, I'm looking for something I can wear while riding. Living in SoCal and being a generally warm person I need something that breath really well.

Question:
    What leg armor do you actually ride with for multiple miles, not just when going downhill?

Did you crash going uphill? Or did you just forget to take the armor off your pack and put it on your leg. I'm not trying to be sarcascic, just curious.

I wear the 661 Race Lite guards. They are pretty light and comfortable. I carry them on my pack for the climbs and I use them mainly for the downhill. But when a climb comes up directly after a descent I just leave them on. I feel them there but they are not uncomfortable.

Apr 2005

Rock Gardn

I've been riding with these for a couple of years and I've been happy. I chose these because of the great fit, still maybe a bit on the hot side. I ride in socal just like you and I know it gets hot. It's just one of those trade- offs. I also tried using a pair of 661 race light and wasn't happy with the fit. Light, yes but just didn't want to stay put on my legs. I also think the people at Rock Gardn are real cool.

mtbr member

I wear Beas Gear Dh amour

I never had an "overheating" problem yet eithe but then I dont live in Calif.

DETAILS
    Available in three sizes

New high-impact polyethylene cover on top of high-impact polyethylene kneecap, double layer protection

Designed three inches longer than competitors

Four straps system.

Articulated design

Two-ply thickness elastic

Mesh knee wrap

Spined kneecap to slow down pedal impact

High-density perforated foam for ventilation

Raised shin area to avoid direct impact.

New embossed logo

Mesh bag
    Attached Images Attached Images

telemarc
    Jan 2005
    I have 4 sets of leg guards roach FR , six six one(old style soft), fox x-treme and dainese pro. The Dainese are by far the best for long XC- Freeride rides and are the only ones I can wear in xcess of 2 hours without chafing. They are also the coolest in the summer. The Roach offer the most protection, the fox are the easiest to cary and put on for the long rides up and downhill/FR and the 661 are the warmest and keep the mud off for the winter night rides.

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    I crashed on a short downhill section, ~.5 miles, after 5 miles of climbing and with a .8 mile hike-n-bike just after the short downhill. I didn't want to put on the pads for such a short section. The other time I took a chick out of my shin was on a section of trail that was rolling terrain where I typically don't like to wear my bulky armor. On that trail I put on the armor for the 7 mile downhill sections.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004

Evs Sc02

I've ridden in my EVS SC02 knee/shin guards with good results. They are designed for motocross but work well for mountain bikes. EVS's website doesn't list the SC02 anymore, it appears to have been replaced by the SC05. www.evs-sports.com

Bodhisattva
    Fox launch pads. Very well ventilated and super snap-on strap system. They do chafe a bit on longer rides but so will any pad.
    Last edited by The Squeaky Wheel; 11-04-2005 at 10:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dainese all the way. Great for longer rides, they fit like a glove.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    I live in the tropic, high humidity and temperatures that range in the 85-100 deg. Never used guards because of the heat and comfort, until it happened. I crashed!. Now I use fox 911 Lunch (05 model), they fit great, a little heat beats crashing and having to stay off the saddle for any given period of time. The choice may be the one you talked about, drilling holes, but not so many in order to not damage the integrity of the guard.

jrm
    mtbr member

theres also

Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend

Question:

the 661 veggie raps...

Cookin' in AZ

661 Race Lite

I wear these in AZ where it gets really hot. They offer good protection and breathe well.

http://www.sixsixone.com/catalog.asp...84aae9&pl=BIKE
    This space intentionally left blank

the bomb

they work

I like armor too, but often skip it because of the heat issue. I use cheapo soccer guards a lot though. They're not hot like the full knee dealys and I really like to have my shins covered. Won't save the knees, but I feel better with the shins covered than with nothing. I have cheap $6 jobs
    Womanhood ain't for sissies.- oldbroad

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    This thread is just in time...I have never worn pads and my shins look like they have been used as a chew toy for a badger.

Samsonite Tester
    661 race lights hardly know I have em on.
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

Absurd
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Fox launch pads. Very well ventilated and super snap-on strap system. They do chafe a bit on longer rides but so will any pad.
    I'll second those. They're the best pads I've ever owned.

a.k.a. MTBMaven

New Rules

Quote Originally Posted by pfunk
    They're not hot like the full knee dealys and I really like to have my shins covered. Won't save the knees, but I feel better with the shins covered than with nothing.
    I feel you on that one. My previous crashes, have done the most bodily damage, have done damage to my shins or my forearms. I'm enacting a new rule for myself (a la Bill Maher), I'm going to wear long sleeve shirts when I ride. I'm also going to customize my old Fox Standard Knee Guards by cutting off the knee cups and maybe drill holes in the plastic to increase air flow

DOH!
    The older-style Rock Gardn legs are pretty nice, however, I have found that the little half-donut of padding they use to (theoretically) hold the knee cup in place and prevent the guard from slipping down tends to chafe on the uphill. And once the donut slips down below the kneecap, the upper knee is almost completely exposed to hits ( I speak from experience )...and the pads then REALLY chafe (to the point of removing skin). Use of the 661 Pad Locks helped with the problem, but didn't eliminate it.

I've had a great time with the Troy Lee Combat guards, though they are a bit bulkier (though not necessarily too much hotter). They vent well, and are my preferred guard for DH. Get the "short" version if to-the-ankle protection isn't important.

I'm going to try the new Fox 911's for trail riding next....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a set of the 05' Fox 911's that fit really good and offer good frontal protection. One gripe is the inside padding @ the knee stops half way leaving the top of your knee cap to be rubbed raw - don't know why the padding coverage is only made half way ???

Members who have read this thread: 0