leg armor?- Mtbr.com

Thread: leg armor?

a'buh?

leg armor?

My dad is gonna buy me some leg armor for X-mas, but doesn't want to spend too much (ideally no more than $40) I was thinking 661, Fox, Roach, or RockGardn. I also saw a beastly deal on some Kona Launch knee/shin guards, but they looked kind of weird. What would you guys recommend? Any great deals I should know about? Also, I'm 5' 7", but still growing, what size should I get?

Thanks a lot, and sorry for this boring post, I'll post some riding pics as soon as exams are over
    "Don't just huck yourself: be skilled, be trained, be ready, be prepared, then give 'er." -Dylan Tremblay

Jan 2004
    what level of protection are you looking for? what kind of coverage? hard shell or soft? is heat an issue?

Feb 2004

Fox

I have got a pair of Fox 911 shin/knee guards and they are awesome. They are really comfortable and stay in place well. I have taken quite a few spills on them and always been fine.
    As for size, alot of that has to do with how meaty your legs are. I always find that the fastenings above the knee on nearly all guards are too small for my big a$$ thighs untill they stretch out a bit...

a'buh?
    I have skinny little chicken legs...

And I guess I want hard shell armor, and a knee/shin combo. Heat will definitely be an issue this coming summer. Summer......ahhhhh.......I'm so cold right now.......
    "Don't just huck yourself: be skilled, be trained, be ready, be prepared, then give 'er." -Dylan Tremblay

Ridin in UT
    I would highly recommend these -> Rockgardn Airframe. http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Pads/product_89198.shtml

I've seen them for as cheap as $30, just pay attention to the sizing when you get them. I got them for wifey and she said they are super comfortable and never slide down, etc. they appear to be pretty bomb proof as well.
    have fun

oh yeah this is a good price comparison resource too:
    http://www.bestwebbuys.com/bikes/sea...=i-srch-search

Glad to Be Alive
    roach with webbing on the back of the leg
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    roach with webbing on the back of the leg

yep the best. even in texas summers

a'buh?
    What about the Fox ventilator Knee/shin Guards? (20$ at JensonUSA.com)

Those Roach's look nice, but a little pricey? And also, on some reviews, people were complaining about straps rubbing their skin raw. What about the 661's?

a'buh?

hello....

thought I'd bring this one back up to the top.....need advice, thanks

Like I said, if you reply to this, I'll post some pics.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    roach freeride all the way

Jan 2003
    Roach FR would be nice, but it's a bit over $40 ($60?). Look at the 661 Race and Racelite. The Race stay in place better, but the Racelites breath better. Both go for around $40. I'm 5'9" and wear Mediums in the 661 Race.

Jul 2004
    Ya im getting some leg armour for christmas too i think im getting 661 Race,they look nice.

Dec 2004
    Check out Mace tectonic leg armor. Knee/shin, they wrap around the calf to keep from pedal bash, pretty damn breathable I can wear them all day and am just fine. I had tried everyone else but Mace fits the best. I also have XL calfs. If your a skinny leg person a medium is fine.
    www.macegear.com

a'buh?

right now I'm thinking.....

The roach rally FR, but it's a little expensive (the cheapest I've found it is $56) or the 661 Race lite (found it for $30) or the 661 race ($26). Any opinions? I know the Roach is probably best, but is it worth the extra money? Is there a glaring reason I shouldn't get one of the 661's?

I live in NC, and it gets really hot in the summers, so something that breathes well would be nice. I'm a little concerned about the total lack of back of the leg pretection from these, but it seems like all the ones with protection back there are bigger, bulkier, and obviously much hotter, DH versions. Thanks for the help, I think I'm really confusing my dad; I keep telling him witch one I want, and then changing my mind after like 30 seconds. I'll figure it out eventually

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My first leg armor was from the 661 race in 2003 - poor fit and the straps that came in direct contact w/ the skin were un-comfortable. I was recomended Dainese for comfort ( I do a lot of pedalling ) worked out fine for me though they are out of your price range. Roach makes a good product but are a tad hotter than a few of the un-lined brands. If you can try them on before you buy you will save yourself fitiment headaches. I learned not to skimp on armor or it will end up in the closet not on you body.

whatever she says gueuze.

Leg armour

I'm using Fox 911 and I think they're the best for my riding style. They're much cooler than Roach FR's but the FR's protect more. Anyways, I have a pair of Deviate leg/knee that I'm not using so you can have for free but I live in Los Angeles. If you send $15 for shipping/ handling I'll send it out to you. They're hard plastic shell and neoprene wrap around. Peace.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwalrus
    My dad is gonna buy me some leg armor for X-mas, but doesn't want to spend too much (ideally no more than $40) I was thinking 661, Fox, Roach, or RockGardn. I also saw a beastly deal on some Kona Launch knee/shin guards, but they looked kind of weird. What would you guys recommend? Any great deals I should know about? Also, I'm 5' 7", but still growing, what size should I get?

Thanks a lot, and sorry for this boring post, I'll post some riding pics as soon as exams are over
    If you can you pitch in an extra $16 so your dad can buy the Roach/Raceface FR shin guards you will appreciate it when you crash hard. These are the best shin guards I have ever used.
    Erik
    Balle Racing

Cynical Bystander
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianHooligan
    Ya im getting some leg armour for christmas too i think im getting 661 Race,they look nice.
    I've got the Races and like them. I've had them since....early June I think and while theyre still pretty new looking (I dont ride enough or always forget them) when I do end up wearing them they provide lots of protection and are cheap at like $30 or so. my only complaint is that during sprints in DH races they slip off of my knee a little bit, other than that theyre fine, so as long as you make the top straps really tight they dont move much.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BalleRacing
    If you can you pitch in an extra $16 so your dad can buy the Roach/Raceface FR shin guards you will appreciate it when you crash hard. These are the best shin guards I have ever used.
    Erik
    Balle Racing
    do they run right down to the ankles? i find almost all the leg armore out there leaves a big shin gap.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    my roach leg were 55, they will lasta long time you might as well get what you want

mtbr member

fox 911

Quote Originally Posted by Richard85
    my roach leg were 55, they will lasta long time you might as well get what you want
    i love my fox 911's they breathe good, light weight, fit good, hard shell, last a long time, although they are relatively epensive (60 bucks) but i got mine for 15 brand new at the shop they had gotten a mixed box of new fox gear, and asked me what i would pay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    do they run right down to the ankles? i find almost all the leg armore out there leaves a big shin gap.
    Yes my Roach Rally FR go all the way down to my ankles. I wear a Medium and I am 5' - 6" . They come in 3 sizes M 5'-2" - 5'-8", L 5'-8" - 6'-0", XL 6'-0" - 6'-2". These guards do not fall down like others I have tried.
    Erik
    Balle Racing
    Last edited by BalleRacing; 12-18-2004 at 02:13 PM. Reason: left off number

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Fox 911 all the way!!!! Super comfy and protect all down almost into the shoe!!

RM7
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    My votes for the Roach pads, I use the DH versions though, give the frreeride ones a try, I'm sure you will like them.

a'buh?
    Quote Originally Posted by ndinh
    I'm using Fox 911 and I think they're the best for my riding style. They're much cooler than Roach FR's but the FR's protect more. Anyways, I have a pair of Deviate leg/knee that I'm not using so you can have for free but I live in Los Angeles. If you send $15 for shipping/ handling I'll send it out to you. They're hard plastic shell and neoprene wrap around. Peace.
    thanks a ton for the offer, but I think I'm gonna try to get a nice, brand new pair of Roach's. (I think my dad is actually gonna pay for them)

Thanks for the advice....what about 661's?

your mom

fox 911

i shopped around and decided on 911s. they are very comfortable, breath good, and protect my shins and knees very well. i think i got them on sale for 40 bucks