Leg armor..- Mtbr.com

Thread: Leg armor..

In my mind, I can do it!

Leg armor..

I'm looking for light leg armor to help discourage stuff like the below image. I ride XC mainly so something light and not constrictive is what I'm after. The fall that caused this was pretty lame and nearly anything may have helped save me from this painful injury.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Remember: "Friends Don't Let Friends Ride Junk"

Quote: "Sometimes there just aren't enough rocks"
    - A Yeti Rider

Aug 2004
    My buddy jackstraw1 uses these (it only covers the shins though):
    http://lizardskins.com/products/view...&page_number=2

I use Race Face Rally pads for DH'ing. IMNSHO, they are overkill for XC riding.

I also had some Fox Launch pads, but dumped those cuz I needed a larger size. Those wore fairly light, but I still think after a while, your knee cap would get rubbed raw.

I still have my Fox Standard pads too. The knee portion doesn't wrap around the knee though so it just kinda flops around as you are pedaling.

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by BelaySlave
    My buddy jackstraw1 uses these (it only covers the shins though):
    http://lizardskins.com/products/view...&page_number=2

I use Race Face Rally pads for DH'ing. IMNSHO, they are overkill for XC riding.

I also had some Fox Launch pads, but dumped those cuz I needed a larger size. Those wore fairly light, but I still think after a while, your knee cap would get rubbed raw.

I still have my Fox Standard pads too. The knee portion doesn't wrap around the knee though so it just kinda flops around as you are pedaling.
    Definately want something light that doesn't flop around. I don't even want to know it's there until I need it.

- A Yeti Rider

Just a punk in the street
    I have a pair of Core Rat Knee and Shin guards. They are definitely over priced but they are very light weight and semi cool. They are a homemade product and it shows but I don't even know that I have them on 99% of the time. If I am riding somewhere that I have never been or something I feel is over my head or more technical then I wear the Race Face. Heavier, more durable, more protection but also more warm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    OK, don't laugh but I ride mostly singletrack with a lot of rock thrown in (vietnam in Milford MA) with the occasional three foot drop. I use simple soccer shin pads and some old rollerblading knee pads when I do not feel like coming out with my shins banged up. It seems to be just the right amount of protection for the type of riding I do. I just need something to take the edge off some of the falls. I do not go big like some of these other guys. I was just getting sick and tired of having my legs look like your picture everytime I go out. The set up is light.

over 50 years of cycling
    661 Kyle straits
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

May 2007
    I just got the lizard skins...not bad for the money..i rde light trails and some street, pretty comfortable.

El Pollo Diablo
    try searching, there are literally dozens of threads just like this one
    (sans nifty picture)

that being said, you can't go wrong with sixsixone gear.

In my mind, I can do it!
    I probably need to just go to my LBS and try some on.

- A Yeti Rider

I AM I AM
    I'm mostly XC / Trail, you know a few small jumps on the way and a 2ft drop. I got myself a set of 661 Veggies after a decent fall with clipless, then gave clipless away & got some knee/shins Fox Launch Pads but had the rubbing raw issue. I also never found the 661 veggies comfy on the XC type rides - stitching would rub behind the knee and they were hot.

Now I'm on the Race Face FR pads, they are bulky looking and not the lightest but they are comfortable even to walk in. It's funny though I've grown complacent now & don't put them on most of the time because I haven't been falling since switching to platform pedals. The Foxes were lighter and had more ventilation, the Race Face are much more comfortable and nowhere near as hot as neoprene type pads such as 661 Veggies.
    I've actually widened the holes in the internal foam of the Race Face pads more out of curiosity than anything and was pleasantly surprised that if you cut the foam/netting it just stays like you've cut it - no further deterioration etc, so that's pretty good quality / workmanship to me!

My Ideal pad would probably be like a neoprene design with a bit of hard shell in the right places and ventilation holes throughout, all whilst being relatively low profile to wear under pants etc, it must stay up and it must have straps rather than the slip on design.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Every injury I get I add more protective clothing. The last thing I didn't have were shoulder type pads and yep I busted a clavicle in April. The time before that in Jan it was a nose and hand so I replaced the broken E2 with a full face Bell helmet and some heavier TLD ful finger gloves. Can't wait to get back out there...

Members who have read this thread: 0