LED Helmet light - MiNewt vs Dinotte, what say ye???- Mtbr.com

LED Helmet light - MiNewt vs Dinotte, what say ye???

Ok
    Finally going to get back into night riding and just picked up a Dinotte Ultra5 for a barlight (waiting on Big Green) but still need a helmet light. Want to keep it LED, relatively low cost and have narrowed it down to the Niterider MiMewt single or the Ultra3 Dinotte.

For those of you that have seen / used both what would you reccomend and why???

Couple things:

1) Dont mind using rechargeable AA batteries like the Dinotte does
    2) I understand the MiNewt needs an extension to be used as a helmet light - where can you get it and what is the cost?

Thanks for any feedback you got...

Cheers
    C

Out there
    Aug 2006
    I've got the Ultra 3.

Totally rugged. I keep it on the helmet all the time. I have thwacked it into overhanging trees hard enough to give myself a headache several times, had big crashes etc, and no problems at all.

Very bright, long throw, very well matched to the Ultra5 bar light.

Easy to operate while it is on the helmet.

Easy to get on and off.

Mount is very secure.

Ultra light weight. I run the battery in my pack or a pocket and the weight of the light on my head is completely negligible.

Low profile. I don't feel like a dork keeping it on my helmet during daylight hours.

The built in rear light is a bonus.

Battery life is excellent.

Consumer AA rechargables are easy to replace. I bought a smart charger and a set of even higher capacity NiMHs for not much.

DISLIKES
    (these are very minor)

The angle adjustment on the light is not so easy while it is on your head, so it takes a bit of dialling in to get it just right.

The straps that hold the mount to the helmet will flap about a bit unless you fold them under themselves.

Overall I am delighted with this light.

Pink,
    That is a lot of information! Exactly the kind of stuff I was hoping for. Thanks for that post.

Anyone out there able to do the same for the MiNewt?? Is it really a good idea to keep the helmet and bar light in the same family?? (As far as beam patterns, light throw)

Keep the answers comin, thanks again PHB

mtbr member
    The Dinotte has one feature that makes it a better helmet light than the Minewt... the switch is on the light head. The Minewt switch is on the battery, so in order to change levels (high or low) or turn the light off, you'll have to get the battery out. Otherwise, they are both very good lights.

Check HERE for beam shots of both the Dinotte and the Minewt.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

K2 and Double shot pro

Hey James, Thanks for the link to the beam shots. Any luck getting a Dual Emitter K2 and do you plan to get the new Cateye Double Shot Pro for review.

Thanks for your reviews.

MB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323
    Hey James, Thanks for the link to the beam shots. Any luck getting a Dual Emitter K2 and do you plan to get the new Cateye Double Shot Pro for review.

Thanks for your reviews.

MB
    No luck in the K2, but I haven't given up yet !

I'll have a Double Shot Pro in the review, one just became available for me to try out, so I expect it in the very near future.

mtbr member
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug
    I've got the Ultra 3.

Totally rugged. I keep it on the helmet all the time. I have thwacked it into overhanging trees hard enough to give myself a headache several times, had big crashes etc, and no problems at all.

Very bright, long throw, very well matched to the Ultra5 bar light.

Easy to operate while it is on the helmet.

Easy to get on and off.

Mount is very secure.

Ultra light weight. I run the battery in my pack or a pocket and the weight of the light on my head is completely negligible.

Low profile. I don't feel like a dork keeping it on my helmet during daylight hours.

The built in rear light is a bonus.

Battery life is excellent.

Consumer AA rechargables are easy to replace. I bought a smart charger and a set of even higher capacity NiMHs for not much.

DISLIKES
    (these are very minor)

The angle adjustment on the light is not so easy while it is on your head, so it takes a bit of dialling in to get it just right.

The straps that hold the mount to the helmet will flap about a bit unless you fold them under themselves.

Overall I am delighted with this light.
    This is strange. I was just looking at your street photography site when I saw your flickr photostream, one of which included a photo of the Dinotte mounted on your mtb. It occurred to me that I had seen the photo before on mtbr!

Needless to say (but I'm saying it anyway), your street photography is superb. I am sure, however, that better photographers than me have said that to you!

GeoMan
    I ride on Tuesday and Thursday nights and everybody marvels at the size and brightness of my Lithium 5. And, 6 hours? Incredible.

I have DiNottes for sale. I liked their lights so much that I had to offer them. I hear nothing but positive feedback.

James does a TERRIFIC job! Pinkheadedbug's insights into the Ultra 3 are great. Thanks for your efforts!
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

Members who have read this thread: 0