Lazer Helmets?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Lazer Helmets?

Jan 2003

Lazer Helmets?

Anyone had any experience with Lazer brand helmets? several catalog outfits have seemingly good prices, and they're reasonably attractive. however, last time i bought an off brand helmet i've been very disappointed with the fit, styling, and durability (cratoni).

any of the other lesser brands have good or bad qualities? there's good prices to be had and i think some of them look better than the generic bell or giro, but it seems like a crapshoot.

fwiw, my intended use is both road training and xc racing, but i'm not convinced that there's a difference that matters.

josh
    watching for hurricanes

Flying High Again
    Quote Originally Posted by UCFJosh
    Anyone had any experience with Lazer brand helmets? several catalog outfits have seemingly good prices, and they're reasonably attractive. however, last time i bought an off brand helmet i've been very disappointed with the fit, styling, and durability (cratoni).

any of the other lesser brands have good or bad qualities? there's good prices to be had and i think some of them look better than the generic bell or giro, but it seems like a crapshoot.

fwiw, my intended use is both road training and xc racing, but i'm not convinced that there's a difference that matters.

josh
    watching for hurricanes
    hello UCFer -

i always thought that Lazer was the crappy generic brand, not Bell or Giro....it just so happens that i spotted one on the mountain yesterday. there were lots of DHers in full face helmets and full race gear, so I was checking out what people were using. I have seen the Lazer helmet on sale somewhere, so I asked a guy about his. He didn't say much other than he liked it. Sorry I didn't go into detail now!

Most helmets are little more than sytrofoam with a plastic shell coating. I'm guessing that the big differences you find between the generics and "real" helmets are ventilation, durability (what does a season of sweat do to it), and replacement service. I believe Bell and Giro have a crash replacement plan, trade in the broken helmet for a substantial discount on a new helmet.

later,
    jay (ucf class of '87)

p.s. do you ride at chuluota?

mtbr member
    There's a review of the Revolution 2 in Dirt Rag issue #108. They seemed to like it. the only complaint they listed is that the helmet strap could get twisted between your head and the side of the helmet, causing discomfort. So, they had to be concious of seating the straps when putting it on. Big deal, I had to got through that with my Giro.. BTW, I'm on the market for a new helmet, and also am tempted by the affordable pricing of the lazer helmets. One nice-ity that caught my eye is that the padding is easily removed for washing...

mtbr member
    I can't comment on fit because i've never put one of their mtn bike helmets on, but they are not a new or generic brand, they have been making dirt bike and atv helmets for years, i had one when i was in to that sport in 94, it fit well and lasted great especially for the price.

mtbr member

A Real Winner.
    I want to get the Chrono 2 for Mountain biking. Is that dorky?

Aug 2004
    not any more dorky than drop bars and disk wheels

Ride what you want!!
    Lazer is not an off brand or generic. They make very nice high end helmets. I got a deal on their high end Lazer Blade and have used it for road and dirt for almost a year. Keeps my head cool and fits nice...... but the retention device on the back of the helmet broke. I glued it back together and it works but I was disapointed. I contacted Lazer and they're going to send the part to my bike shop even though I did not buy it there or have any proof of purchase.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

mtbr member
    If you go that route, you will also need a skin suit..