Lake MTB Shoes???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Lake MTB Shoes???

what do you think of them I was looking at the MX305 any thought on that model or there shoes

Freshly Fujified

Lake makes a good shoe

Quote Originally Posted by promtber
    what do you think of them I was looking at the MX305 any thought on that model or there shoes
    I have had a pair of Lake MX-80's for over two years now. They've served me well. I will consider another pair of Lake shoes (they make an XL product for wide feet) when I replace the MX 80's in the spring. Good bang for the buck.

Clyde
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Groveland Trail Heads

I have

Lake's mxz300. I bought them in October for winter riding. They are the most comfortable boot/shoe I have ever worn. They also keep my feet warm and dry.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Wore out a pair of CX303s in about 1 1/2 years. The uppers were fine but the sole crapped out. It peeled away in chunks. Don't know if that's because of engaging into Time pedals or because of rocky hike a biking.
    I wouldn't pay retail on them. I also had the CX300 for about the same time prior to the 303s. Same problem with the sole. The shoe was comfortable. Quite stiff and great for pedalling.
    Not sure what's changed on the CX305.
    Don't harsh my mello

Sharp rocks hurt...
    I've been looking around for a new pair of MTb shoes, I need a size 13 though. I have heard good things about Lake but I havnt tried a pair on yet.

Fo' Bidniz in da haus
    I will never wear another shoe thanks to Lake.

I had major reconstructive foot surgery and needless to say, shoes are very important to me. In my first real year of mountain biking, I went through 5 pairs of shoes until I found the Lake. Money was no object so I tried the supposed best offerings from the top companies (eg, SIDI Dominator 4 Mega) and hated all of them....but I expected to hate them given my condition.

I have had my first pair of Lakes now for 3 years and they are just now starting to come apart. I use the MX-201 Extremes I think they were called. I think they have been replaced with Lake MX-220 Extremes. I use their wide shoes which is what extreme stands for I think....or now, they may just call them wide or "w" models.

This particular shoe can be found under $100 almost always and they are just awesome shoes for any type of riding.

Cheers

It's about showing up.

Lake 176

They fit my skinny feet. I wore these for 3 consecutive pairs and they all lasted about a year and a half. I just wore them out. Like WG said the soles started to wear hard but, geez, you have to wear them out somehow. I figure I wore each pair for 2500-3000 miles of riding. I have Sidi Dominators (you can buy them narrow) now but I still use the Lakes more due to the muddy riding I do this time of year.

Old man on a bike
    I'm using MX160's right now, laces (main reason I picked them) underneath two hooknloop straps, vibram soles, great price. Little bit heavier than shoes I've used but if you've got to hike during a ride these are the best I've used so far. Fit isn't as good as Sidis but as good as the SixSixOnes and Answers I've used, some rough edges inside the shoe I had to trim.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Axe
    Custom User Title
    If you plan to hike a bike every now and on, the new Vibram soled Lake's are quite more comforable the Sidi's or Shimano, even if they look and sometimes feel like cr.p in the store.

They break in and they are quite functional. I own two pair of Sidis and usually take my Lake over them, unless it is road riding.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

lakes

more confortable to me
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KgB
    more confortable to me
    I have been using the MX160 for the past 6 months. I am very pleased with the shoe. If you typically have hike-a-bike sections during your ride, these are fantastic with the added toe cleats and the Vibram soles. I've used others such as SIDI, but hands down, I put the Lakes on for my epic rides. These are definitely not for weight weinies, though!
    Another day in paradise!

Jul 2004

great shoes

i have been using Lake mtb shoes for most of the time i've been riding (10 yrs). They last forever are plenty stiff and reasonably priced. I tried a pair of Northwaves and tore the cleat right out of the sole.

mtbr member
    Been using Lake MX160's for almost a year now. Very comfortable, and they have laces. Have held up great, no problems, no defects, no worries!

Jul 2004

I have been wearing the Lake MX-101's for over a year. They fit well, have excellent traction (with their Vibram soles), they look good (IMHO), and seen to hold up well in all types of weather and trail/track conditions.

The only drawback is the nylon mesh at the toes. On cold days the tootsies get a bit on the chilly side. Then again in hot days the air flow is a definite benefit.

I would not hesitate making another purchase of Lake shoes, that is when these wear out.

Live Long,...Ride Hard

Ol'DirtDawg

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    Well I've been needing some new shoes, both mountain and road. This thread has me convinced. I ordered up some CX and MX 165s from the QBP catalog on Hammerhead bikes. I know I could of saved 40 bucks or so on the total by going through Performance but wanted to give a TX LBS a few bucks anyway.

I've always thought the Lakes were extremely fine looking shoes, esp the higher end models I always see in the adverts---only thing I never see them actually available for sale------?? At least not in my necks of the woods.

Aug 2004

I only have the winter boot, MX300

and I am happy so far. The seem to be holding up well, are very comfortable and definately keep my feet warm and dry. I just got a pair of Answer impact's for a steal which I think I will race in...
    I plan to buy some Lake 220's for trail riding. I like the idea of the Vibram sole, if I'm off my bike it's nasty climbing ahead. Since both of my bike's are SS, climbing up some nasty uphill tech sections is part of the game...
    I too wish they were available in more LBS's, just to have more options. They are made in China, but Lake is a U.S. based company. Why can't we make shoes in America, I would pay more.Geez we buy $200 Italian shoes...

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    something utility in econ speak. if we made shoes here labor would be higher so a pair might cost 250 rather than 200. even more italiano shoes and less americano shoes would be bought---the manufacturers would go in the red and yada yada

Of course the real reason being US business schools mint execs who maximize wealth for themselves and their large shareholders and the rest is 2d thought at best---yup labor will continue to be based elsewhere for the majority of a lot of industries.
    Quote Originally Posted by PinsNeedles
    and I am happy so far. The seem to be holding up well, are very comfortable and definately keep my feet warm and dry. I just got a pair of Answer impact's for a steal which I think I will race in...
    I plan to buy some Lake 220's for trail riding. I like the idea of the Vibram sole, if I'm off my bike it's nasty climbing ahead. Since both of my bike's are SS, climbing up some nasty uphill tech sections is part of the game...
    I too wish they were available in more LBS's, just to have more options. They are made in China, but Lake is a U.S. based company. Why can't we make shoes in America, I would pay more.Geez we buy $200 Italian shoes...

Aug 2004

Point well taken and understood...

In a perfect world, our country with all of it's resorces and talent...
    I would just like to see products such as shoes made by American craftsmen/women again. My frame,stem, HS, Hubs and freewheel were built here, I would just like to see the U.S. bike industry grow that's all...

life is a barrel o'fun

love my Lakes

Discovered them by accident. Thought I lost my original shoes during AZSF'03 (left 'em at WOW, CJ later found 'em), so I ran into a store in a panic, begging for shoes, ANY shoes!

I think they cost $75, not sure which specific model they are- they're dark blue. Didn't have clipless at that time, but b/c these were SPD compatible, figured that was a sign that it was time to go clipless. Had the shop cut out the soles when I got home.

They got me through AZ, then the FFTF'04, and all the rides in between and since. I kept waiting for the usual woes of breaking in a new pair of shoes, but never had a problem. No blisters, nuthin'. THAT is what quality shoes are supposed to be like.
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

I am hoping to revive this ancient thread ...

as my Lake MX165's are great for fitting my f'd-up feet. All the other shoes I try dont seem to accomodate orthotics and are not flat enough for a healthy foot position. Furthermore, they are great to hike in. Nevertheless, the vibram soles do not seem like they are truly made for spd cleats. I have a pair of shimano 540's (? - whichever model is the cheaper version of the 959) and I have had a terrible time getting the cleats to release safely. I have cut a bit of the sole away to the point of lsightly damaging them.

Has anybody had more success or recommend another release system with this shoe .... my understanding is that a sole with a lot of lugs is not very good with crank bro's eggbeaters or candys. Futhermore, the release is general sounds safest with the Shimano system. Any possiblity the 959 would work better????

thanks

ben

Mar 2005
    Got a pair (don;t know what model) which have lasted well for 3+ years. Maybe not the lightest shoes out there (not that I have much to compare to) , but they haven't lost any rigidity and still look like new when they get cleaned.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

I love my lakes

They were my first pair of MTB-specific shoes, and I've been using them for 8 years now (the original pair from 1999). They fit my feet better than any other cycling shoe I've tried on, and they have lasted extremely well. However, I do not use them for commuting, freeriding, or anything else but just cross country and longer trail rides. Just recently picked up the CX120s for commuting/touring use (these are basically beefy road shoes with a bit of tread for walking in) and they don't seem to fit my narrow feet quite as well as the old pair. May just be a difference between the road and mtb designs though.

But yes, I wholeheartedly support Lakes! Go get yourself a pair and you will start laughing at people who claim that "Sidis are the only way to go" (yes, I have tried them)..