Kneepads for newby- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Kneepads for newby

I looked at the recent kneepad threads, but need some guidance what to look for. My riding on my rigid fatbike is relatively slow and i don't jump etc. However, I still want to be protected if i crash. It seems I don't need the downhill geared items.

I once rode with kneepads I borrowed from a buddy, but they seemed uncomfortable so that I slid them off my knee uphill etc. My googling also revealed some may slide down during a crash (and remove protection in the process). it also seems I would want padding on the side of the knee as well. Summer sweatiness etc. also is an issue.

I ride about 5-7 miles to the trail. A solution that can be put on and off easily may be good. But if they are comfortable for normal riding that wouldn't be needed.

Comfort is very important not because I'm spoiled. But I figured if they are very comfortable I'm more likely to wear them. If I take them off uphill, I may be too complacent to put them on downhill and that is when I will crash.

Could someone tell me what are necessary features or point me to some reasonably priced models? I realize it is a trial-and-error to find a good fit for my specifics. I don't ride a lot, but think $50-$100 (less is better) would be OK for a beginner. I also would be OK trying out a cheaper one and after using it for a while to "really know what I need" and buy an expensive one.

Looks shouldn't matter, but I prefer a single solid color (no obnoxious spider webs, or something that looks like I'm in a Walmart gang) and only tiny branding, if any.

Someone said soccer shinguards may work on the cheap, but I doubt they are good for pedaling since they are designed for running.
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

mtbr member
    Shin guards don't generally cover or protect the knee. Some knee guards do extend downward offering varying amounts of shin protection. Having switched to flats after riding clipless for many years I don't bang my knees very often at all so I don't wear knee guards. It's other parts of my anatomy that get damaged.
    Do the math.

Bikesexual
    AlpineStar Paragones.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    My ixs flows are the comfiest I've used

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    AlpineStar Paragones.
    these look good and they seem to have good reviews. Some reviewers commented they run a bit large compared to the size chart. did you have similar experience?

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
    these look good and they seem to have good reviews. Some reviewers commented they run a bit large compared to the size chart. did you have similar experience?
    I'm a sack of bones, and run the small, they fit well. They also have minimal slip. 2 seasons and running strong.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I played soccer competitively for years. Soccer shinguards come in many shapes/sizes, but I cannot imagine one that would work as a kneepad...

I have a pair of 7idp sam hill knee pads. I have used them for a few months now. They are on the more "pedaling" end of the spectrum than some knee pads, and I can say that I have, in fact forgotten that I have them on.

I have had the fabric on them start to irritate the back of my knee once or twice. I can say that has been after ~10 miles of riding, with the seat post lowered an inch or two lower than my ideal position (no dropper post, and riding at duthie where the trails are short. Leaving the post in between ideal positions is far less annoying than stopping to manually raise/lower it ever 2-3 minutes).

These are long enough that I can tuck the top end under the edge of my padded riding shorts, and I've never once felt like they could, or would slip. The knee guard comes down to the upper mid shin, so it kind of pulls double duty as well. That said, I haven't had the chance to test them in a crash yet.

I also have a pair of Leatte Airflex elbow pads. The pad is more flexible, and they don't have a cutout behind the elbow joint (the "elbow pit"... not sure what else to call it). My buddy just got a pair of the knee pads, so we'll see how they fair, but I suspect they are even more suited for pedaling than mine, with the caviat that they may not protect as much. They don't cover near as much of the shin as my sam hill pads, so that is something to consider as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnknownRider View Post
    Thanks, they look good. I ordered a pair (and also one of their elbow pads). CRC had them on sale.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    These we the ones recommended to me by the bike shop. I also tried in the ones that looked less bulky and they were horribly uncomfortable.
    https://www.brandscycle.com/product/...MaAnlaEALw_wcB

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    ION Kpack are very solid. They are not obnoxious and they stay put with the zipper and Velcro. Tight fit like a wet suit.

mtbr member
    I have not found any I think are really comfortable, or easy to put on, so I opted for protection and got the Fox Launch Shorty. The up side is you don't have to remove your shoes to put them on or take them off. But I only wear them when I am riding harder technical trails.