Knee AND Shin pad in one - no need to take shoes off- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Knee AND Shin pad in one - no need to take shoes off

Hi,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a soft shell knee and shin pad all-in-one that can be put on without taking your shoes off?

Have tried a few TSG ones but the quality is so so. Do not want the "long knee" versions, but some that come down all the way to your ankle.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I don't know of any i've searched for that are soft shell and open in the back to allow you to put them on without taking shoes off.

The one I use just for this purpose is a combo hard/soft shell, and very comfortable.

Lizard skins: Knee/Shin Combo Body Armor | Lizard Skins

TLD Panic knee guards look close, but prob not long enough for what you're looking for:
    Troy Lee Designs Panic Kneeguard > Apparel > Protective Gear > Leg Armor | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Race Face Flank

Thanks for your suggestion, but yes, you are right, the TLDs are too short. BF had the Lizard Skins before but want some that are easier to pedal with. Ended up ordering the Race Face Flank: Race Face Flank Leg Guard- Stealth Black | Race Face We'll see how they do!

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrick View Post
    I don't know of any i've searched for that are soft shell and open in the back to allow you to put them on without taking shoes off.

The one I use just for this purpose is a combo hard/soft shell, and very comfortable.

Lizard skins: Knee/Shin Combo Body Armor | Lizard Skins

TLD Panic knee guards look close, but prob not long enough for what you're looking for:
    Troy Lee Designs Panic Kneeguard > Apparel > Protective Gear > Leg Armor | Jenson USA

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    kariglio, those face face guards look like something I would really like as well.
    Let us know how they work out for you, & if the back is really open.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I wore something similar to these a few years ago. Anything that you just strap on will slip over time, thats the only downside.

https://www.oneal.com/index.php/bike...e-guard-detail

mtbr member
    I have the Race Flanks. They are great. Been using them for the past 2 seasons.

mtbr member
    I'm using these and find them a little short but comfortable.

Fox Launch Pro Knee/Shin Guards - Fox Racing

ready to ride
    I don't have the flanks, but I do have the Ambush which is essentially the same thing minus the shin protection. They are great, very conformable and not too hot. No slippage, actually less than the Fox I have worn before. I always seem to take a hit in my lower shin so I just wear soccer shin guards. Tried some MTB specific ones but all too bulky and hot. Also gives the the flexibility to wear shin guards with out the knee pads. If you saw my shins you would understand why.
    Sent via my heady vibes from the heart of Pisgahstan

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    " had the Lizard Skins before but want some that are easier to pedal with."

I'm not challenging you on this statement, but for others reading I feel I have to chime in. I've been through about 5 different knee-shin combos, and I can barely imagine the Lizard Skins being any more easy to use and comfy (well, I sometimes chapstick a rub point near my knees, and takes about 4 mins to suit up). I NEVER adjust them, usually forget them. I don't think of them as impacting my pedal stroke at all. They get a little warm, but full coverage has its price. Others in my crew love them too after going through various brands that seemed intent on falling down.

mtbr member
    I have a pair of fox 3/4 and they work great. Light and very protective

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Fox Launch!!! Not soft padded, but comfortable and no need to take your shoes off. Mine have taken many direct hits and kept me riding. Recommended.