Knee/Shin + Elbow for newer rider- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Knee/Shin + Elbow for newer rider

Hey guys been riding about 3 months, but getting sick it scraping up my shins/knees on light falls from pedals and rocks. I ride all mountain in PA, lots of big rocks, 3-4' drops etc. I'm looking for some advice of a sub $100 pair of knee and shin, between hard or soft pads, and also elbow of the same material. I'm trying to ride all year long winter included.

Slip on/ Velcro doesn't really matter to me. Protection, price, quality, comfort, and how well it stays in place matters.

I was eyeing up the 661 Rage on Amazon for $60 but I'd like a few suggestions before I pull the trigger!!

Captain One Lung Administrator
    I keep trying different options but so far I still like the Kali Aazis 180 or 130 ($29) guards for knee and shin protection. They are a bit heavy for super long rides in 100F+ Temps but in all other cases I think they are great. I have no problems pedaling and they offer great protection with only occasional sliding down the leg while riding.

Kali AAZIS Armor Review - Mtbr.com

I didn't like the elbow guards. I returned them and I'm still on the hunt for a good light pair. I'm now leaning towards the Fox Launch Enduro guards. My girlfriend rides with G-Forms (knee and elbow) and likes them but I'd prefer something more padded.

If you're slipping off the pedals get better shoes and/or better pedals. For great grip and price I like 5 Ten Freeriders and Wellgo B219 pedals.
    Last edited by JCWages; 11-02-2015 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Ixs Cleavers.

Sure a touch heavy and can get sweaty and hot.

But barely a restriction on pedaling.
    Maximum protection.
    Knees.
    Shins.
    Side padding too.

The fit over/on the knee is amazing.

Velcro/strap style so they can be as tight as you want.
    You can even undo the bottom two straps to aid in cooling while going up hills.

Once you are on the downhills you get a nice bit of air flow.

I prob wouldn't wear them for a track or area I know isn't too dangerous where there is going to be plenty of pedaling (ie XC sorta of stuff) ... And in fact I'm looking at the Dainese Trail Skins to maybe fill that gap as I have heard great reviews.

But when there are drops and rocks, downhill, or super fast stuff... I know I will be wearing them without a doubt, no matter how much uphill pedaling there is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Using Leatt Enduro Guards:
    Knee Guard Enduro - Adult - Knee & Leg Guards - Hard Shell - Body Armour | LeattŪ | Protective Neck Braces, Body Armour & Sports Gear

Good protection and they are doing quite good while pedaling.You can go for 3DF Hybrid if you need something softer yet doing better while pedaling (never used them myself but i maybe will have a chance to ride on them).I used Leatt ever since i was riding MX and i'm never going to buy other protection (outside Durex lol) since Leatt just saved my ass so many times.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    check out RF Ambush as well

My arm hurts a little
    Dont get the 661's with the shin included. I road the whole 661 line this season.

If u want the rages get the knee only. Then buy a shin guard seprate. The combo pads lack a upper calf stap. They slip like crazy. I have two sizes of them in the hard and soft shell. Both are junk.

661 eblows are the best though. Buy the 661 evo mtb. Orange label with orange foam. Best non slip elbows ive ever used.

I just bought some tld panics for knees. They look promising.

But yah i have 4 almoat brand new 661 knee ahins and im buying different ones. Thats how bad they suck.
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Wow thank you so much for this info!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    check out RF Ambush as well
    how do you like them? I'm thinking to go for one of these or wait for the 7 flex wrap that they will have next year!

is it too much/bulky for trail riding?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I'll just add that I was worried about spending bulk coin for a set of knee pads or knee+shin pads.

I was also worried about spending multiple times for something that worked.

$120 is cheaper than $40 + $40 + $80 + $120 =)

Cleaver and Dagger stay in one place with much comfort as this is where your knee sits.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    how do you like them? I'm thinking to go for one of these or wait for the 7 flex wrap that they will have next year!

is it too much/bulky for trail riding?
    they're more bulky than the light/enduro guards like some people use, but they are still fairly flexible (they use d30 foam), and the knee guards pedal well enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Is anyone else using G-Form? I have the knee pads haven't gone down hard except for wash outs seems durable enough and super comfortable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    After more use of the Ixs Cleavers im very happy with them.

Same as above i've only had a few washouts but have always stayed on well and are fine for pedaling.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    I keep trying different options but so far I still like the Kali Aazis 180 or 130 ($29) guards for knee and shin protection. They are a bit heavy for super long rides in 100F+ Temps but in all other cases I think they are great. I have no problems pedaling and they offer great protection with only occasional sliding down the leg while riding.

Kali AAZIS Armor Review - Mtbr.com

I didn't like the elbow guards. I returned them and I'm still on the hunt for a good light pair. I'm now leaning towards the Fox Launch Enduro guards. My girlfriend rides with G-Forms (knee and elbow) and likes them but I'd prefer something more padded.

If you're slipping off the pedals get better shoes and/or better pedals. For great grip and price I like 5 Ten Freeriders and Wellgo B219 pedals.
    Cool review JC - I just received mine and I'm happy to see this. I just got the knee protection. for the elbows I got some T.H.E from Jenson. (They come very small so I ordered a M) - I've never used protection, at the house the feel ok not sure on trail, honestly I hate the though of it but @ 50, I figured I better get some kind of protection.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Cool review JC - I just received mine and I'm happy to see this. I just got the knee protection. for the elbows I got some T.H.E from Jenson. (They come very small so I ordered a M) - I've never used protection, at the house the feel ok not sure on trail, honestly I hate the though of it but @ 50, I figured I better get some kind of protection.
    You're doing it right. Sure it feels nice to ride without guards but you pay a big penalty for the freedom when you do crash. My girlfriend slammer her knee pretty hard on what was really a minor crash on hardpack single track; no rocks or branches. She was wearing the RaceFace Charge? minimalist knee pads and they eliminated scratches but did very little to soften the impact and her knee is still sore from last Sunday's fall. Now she is looking for something like those Kali knee guards. Lightweight but with a plastic cap for rougher rides where her RF and G-Form pads are not enough. We're in our 40s.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JCWages View Post
    Now she is looking for something like those Kali knee guards. Lightweight but with a plastic cap for rougher rides where her RF and G-Form pads are not enough. We're in our 40s.
    Since you are looking for knee pads with a shell, checkout 7IDP Control Knee Pads. Here's another post with images and info:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-prote...l#post12246635

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Be careful riding out there, look at the injury section of the forum ! God be with us