Knee protection post partial minesectomy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

New question here. Knee protection post partial minesectomy

Recently had a partial minesectomy and am looking for protection for both the front and lateral portions of my knee. Looking for suggestions.

Thx in advance

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Individual fit is an important factor so the best thing is to try them on. But in general given your previous injury look for a set with a hard insert and obviously padding that goes around the sides. 661 Rage or similar.

mtbr member
    i use gforce ,they are comfortable .they are not a hard pad but flexible . i don't notice I'm wearing them.Knee protection post partial minesectomy-img_5602.jpg
    got sold on knee pads instantly. and thats not me ,a family member bobbled and fell happened to land on a sharp rock pointing up embedded in the dirt.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep5150 View Post
    i use gforce ,they are comfortable .they are not a hard pad but flexible . i don't notice I'm wearing them.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5602.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	1048339
    got sold on knee pads instantly. and thats not me ,a family member bobbled and fell happened to land on a sharp rock pointing up embedded in the dirt.
    I ride here in SoFlo...lots of weenie wrappers, no much on protection. Not me...I wear my pads. Make funna me...but it has saved me more then once, and will save me again!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Check out either WPS FLY catalog. EVS is also solid. I'm in industry, so get stuff at cost. Very helpful. Astars is good too.

mtbr member
    POC Joint VPD Knee Protectors | Backcountry.com

I like these. There not hard shell but it's a thick pad that forms to your knee, with side pads. Great for all day pedaling and very comforable.

mtbr member
    If you're after the ultimate protection, look at Asterisk and Mobius. Both brands offer articulated solid knee braces that are a cut above normal knee pads for protection. Obviously they're also very spendy, but after that kind of surgery the cost might be worth it.

POC Bone knee guards are the next best as far as I'm concerned, the knee plate goes round almost 180 degrees and it has a gasket underneath that provides further protection. The outer and inner articulate separately too, which makes a difference in a crash as the hard shell has a degree of motion before it takes the inner and your knee with it (this is from experience).

Soft knee pads tend to have little protection to the sides. I run POC Joint VPDs and they have excellent coverage to the front, but the padding on the sides will reduce bruising from frame impacts but doesn't offer much against a rock. They're good for general use but when I go to the land of sharp slate that is Wales I use the Bones instead.

PS, welcome to the f##ked up knee club! Unlucky mate.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I've got Ixs Cleevers.

Great pads very solid.
    Over kill for most of the trails I ride, I will prob try and find something abit lighter for those all-day rides.
    Yeah sure a little hot/heavy for pedalling, but well worth it for that one section of steep rock garden.

Knee protection post partial minesectomy-ixscleaver_01.jpg