Knee Protection Advice- Mtbr.com
    Blue Pig

Knee Protection Advice

I have bad knees, esp. my left knee which has taken me out of riding for years (7) Spring is near and I want to get back into riding a bit more aggressively but need advice on decent knee guards. I do XC/AM so do not need hardcore guards, just decent ones. Figured I would ask before buying blind.
    Ragley Blue Pig

mtbr member
    Kyle straits are comfortable and provide good protection.

Blue Pig
    Ah, yes, heard about those. I keep thinking of the Evo but read that they are not so amazing as stated by 661.
    Ragley Blue Pig

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i tried on the 661 evo XC ones, but i couldnt get them to fit right. i ended up with a set of kali protectives knee guards, and they have been pretty comfy for me over the past year or so. i'm on the skinny side, and i wasnt able to get any of the fox or 661 guards to fit right (and i ended up w/ a size small kali, even tho i'm 6')
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks
    I have bad knees, esp. my left knee which has taken me out of riding for years (7) Spring is near and I want to get back into riding a bit more aggressively but need advice on decent knee guards. I do XC/AM so do not need hardcore guards, just decent ones. Figured I would ask before buying blind.
    what do you nee knee guards for? sounds to me more like you need a brace to help strengthen the knee!! I've never yet run into someon who NEEDED knee pads to ride XC/AM! most just want them.

tip 1: stop falling!
    tip 2: refer to tip 1

Of course I have seen the odd person in full on downhill battle gear, chugging around the local single track! totally ridiculas!

Blue Pig
    Quote Originally Posted by was98strat
    what do you nee knee guards for? sounds to me more like you need a brace to help strengthen the knee!! I've never yet run into someon who NEEDED knee pads to ride XC/AM! most just want them.

Of course I have seen the odd person in full on downhill battle gear, chugging around the local single track! totally ridiculas!
    I read your post and the number 16 kept popping up in my head.

Btw, when someone says they have bad knees that does not necessarily mean they have weak knees...
    Ragley Blue Pig

mtbr member
    I'm sure riders fall because they like doing it and they have full control at all time

DOOM
    Depending on where you ride and the terrain you encounter you may want to take a look at a Rockgardn Shorty LZ.

This dude gives you a hard cover over your knee cap which is handy if you live/ride somewhere where the rocks are a bit more...pronounced.

I use this knee guard and it has served me pretty well in Arizona but not every place is like Arizona where the rocks can be jagged, large, or both.

mtbr member
    May 2008

You are a ****ing tool. True story.

meow meow
    do you need protection and a brace? if you want the support with a bit of padding id look at something like the 661 veggie knee.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ecosse
    You are a ****ing tool. True story.

the knees and elbows are complex joints, and it makes sense to protect them (even for XC/AM guys). i broke + disloc my elbow, and 7 months later, its still not fully healed.

also, sometimes you wipe out on easy trails that you are familiar with (the trail i broke my elbow, i had ridden several times before just fine, but i made a mistake and lost my balance) if someone thinks that kneepads will give them more confidence or safety, i say go for it.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

Singlespeeder

Immaturity=bulletproof(at least in your own mind) thanks for your useless contribution to this thread
    Last spring I was riding down a trail with a lot of switch backs, barely moving at all since they were basicly 180* off camber turns, lost my balance on one and fell over....my kneecap broke my fall landing squarely right on a big rock. I could barely walk for several weeks and couldn't ride for a month. I picked up a set of POC kneepads, and they have saved my knees several times since. They are very comfortable to ride in and also offer some padded protection on the sides of the knees
    Gotta love that Singlespeed Zen
    YCC

I <3 bikes
    might look at the Fox Launch knee guards. I've had mine for a few months and like them so far. Can't say how they well they take a hit though as I haven't crashed since I got them. Not sure if I'll be able to put up with them during the summer (I live in Houston, Tx) as they do not ventilate well. Good luck

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have a pair of 661 Evo's. I'd look at those and the POC Joint's. They have the 3dO material that is soft and flexible, but stiffens upon impact. The Evo's saved my ass when launching OTB at Moab knees first onto a big flat rock.

Some people will complain about the stitching on the EVO's blowing out, but I haven't had any problem after one season of riding them.

I paid about $80 for them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've been using the POC Joint Knee and elbows for about a year now. Excellent protection and comfortable to pedal in. I have crashed at least four times with them and they have saved either a knee, elbow or both each time. Well made as well...no rips or tears.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    Kyle straits are comfortable and provide good protection.

^^^^ +++1 can't go wrong... super comfortable and great protection.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Nodody needs pads. People want them to protect just in case, or rather for when you do go down, to prevent more injury than needed. If you are not falling down,which is what I gather from your post, your not pushing it. Does not matter if your XC/AM DH or just retarded. Further more for the person riding in full gear while on singletrack, perhaps they have brittle bones or just dont want to get hurt when they hit that sandy, mossy, black ice patch or they are feeling confident to try that log hop when it shows up.. Best to have protection and ride than not ride at all.

tip 1: shut your trap when you don't know facts
    tip 2- refer to tip 1 from now on if you have nothing relevant to the post question

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Now, to my relevenat post. I am getting the poc knee shin bone guards. I looked at the non hard shell stuff and they all have elastic in back on the knee. I hate that. This poc is cheaper than non bone version and has zero elastic on back of knee., nice and open.

mtbr member
    i've heard the TroyLee knee pads are nice as well.

Blue Pig
    Didn't know this was still going. I would just ignore the 16 year old school boy in tight shorts, was98. Boogers like him are just mere pests.

I am gonna go with the kyle straits.

The reason I asked for advice is because If I was to smash my left knee I will get water build up. Knee protection will cause less water build up then if I was to use no protection. I do not want to have a needle shoved in my knee so I will take the guard/nsaid route. When I wrote, bad, I didn't mean weak. If I meant, weak, I would of wrote weak, lol. I do strength training... I am not weak.

Appreciate the helpful/kind posts, ty.
    Ragley Blue Pig

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Also think about Race Face DIG or Ambush. I used to wear Straits but found the DIG to fit and protect me a bit better...

Blue Pig
    Never heard/saw those before. Hmm... Def. will check those out. They actually match my shorts :l
    Ragley Blue Pig

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks
    Ah, yes, heard about those. I keep thinking of the Evo but read that they are not so amazing as stated by 661.
    I have the Evo's that I use for AM riding. I like them. They are comfortable for pedaling and dont move around all that much. My opinion is limited however: I dont ride AM all that often (mostly DH and use other pads), so I dont know about others claims of them falling apart easily. Also, I havent yet crashed with them, so I dont know exactly how good the protection will be.

If you have a previously injured knee, I think I would err on the side of caution and get something that provides more protection. Something like the Kyle Straits previously mentioned (which have a hard plastic protection piece)

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I wear 661 Evo Knee and Evo Lite XC Elbow. I had quite a fall two weeks ago.
    I had bruises all over me and it hurt in many places. But my knee and elbow where ok. Next day I realized my both knee had a honeycomb bruising. I should had take a photo and sent to 661 as advertise.
    Last week I went over and landed with elbow first (rock). Felt nothing.
    I thing personally the 661 Evo are BETTER than advertized by 661.
    During the ride I don’t feel them (as I’ve full concentration on the path).

mtbr member
    I have flat pedals with loads of pins in them for AM, so I save shins and knees with a combined knee/shin guard. I use Fox Launch Sport, cheap and comfortable. I hate having exposed shins.

mtbr member
    Me and my girlfriend have been riding the Dainese 3X pads for 2 years now. They are so comfortable, that we wear them on every ride. Even my girlfriend can't fault the comfort, and that is saying something!!

They have been washed every few rides, and are still going strong. They are also incredibly lightweight. Not the cheapest, but excellent durability, fit, and quality.

Blue Pig
    There isn't anything THAT rocky around here, lol. But they do look strong.
    Ragley Blue Pig

Members who have read this thread: 0