Knee and elbow pads for x-c and endurance. ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Knee and elbow pads for x-c and endurance. ?

Anyone using something they like and actually stays put on long Xc rides. I don't need big duty. Just enough to blunt the hurt at slower speed technical mishaps .

Always in the wrong gear
    I like my Alpinestar Paragon knee pads.
    I think they are quite comfortable. On more than one occasion I've actually gotten in the car post ride and halfway home I look down to realize I'm still wearing them.

I haven't worn them in the height of summer, but I've had them on in the high 80's and they were pretty tolerable. They're awesome when it's chilly.

I've never had them move during the ride, and I've crash-tested them multiple times without them moving, too. They're definitely not hard armor, but I've walked away from crashes with blunt contusions that should have been gnarly gaping wounds. moderate protection with low annoyance factor- a good trade in my estimation.

mtbr member
    That's what I'm after. I don't crash much but have had some doozies last year.

Always in the wrong gear
    I've also heard good thing about G-Form pads, but those are pricey.

I went with the A*'s because they're really affordable, and got good reviews from....well, everyone.

I think I got mine on sale at Jensen for $30.

<100%
    I am using the G-form pads - knee and elbow. They are comfortable and stay in place. I've used the elbows for two seasons now. They are starting to show a little wear in the material/elastic. I can see them lasting only another season or two. They are $$ but they are worth it to me. They are too warm for the warmest summer days but what wouldn't be?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Alpinestars paragon knee guards all the way. They work, are comfortable, and stay put. And the price is right.

mtbr member
    I have been using the g-form knee pads for four seasons and I can highly recommend them. I bought my girlfriend the dianese trail skins which are getting stellar reviews. When my pads are done I'm probably going to pick up a pair for myself. The G-forms are light and comfy, but the trail skins have nice side impact protection.

mtbr member
    Alpinestars Paragon knee pads are definitely a very good pick. I've used mine for half a dozen rides and the comfort and fit are the best I've had with any knee pad to date (disclaimer: no crash yet with my Paragon's). I'll be using these for 80-90% of my riding. For more descending-heavy rides I still prefer my O'Neal Sinner pads.

JHH
    mtbr member
    another vote for G-From. Well worth the $$$. comfortable, stay in place, and they work.
    I race xc and considering wearing them racing this year. just in case I lose it....all may not be lost.
    Keep pedaling no matter what

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I haven't tried many but got the g-forms based on recommendations here, and I'm not disappointed. I haven't had to "test" them yet by crashing, but they are plenty comfortable and stay in place. Make sure you use the sizing chart and size UP if unsure. I'm not very big at 5'8" and 165 lbs, but got an XL in knee pads and small in elbow pads. Weird sizing but it fits me. I don't think I've ever bought anything XL in my life.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Another for G-forms. I bring them to trails i know have lots of rocks since they give a little less than soil.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Another for G-forms. I bring them to trails i know have lots of rocks since they give a little less than soil. I take them on "scouting" rides as well to new-to-me trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    There are quite a few options. Luckily bike companies realised not everyone needs heavy duty body armor. I'm about to get knee pad too. I haven't worn any so far but I realised I should, so I won't destroy my skinny knees. I'm going with IXS Flows, because I found nothing but good things about it. It may be a bit more than what you want but you can take a look at it. I was thinking about the Dainese Trailskins and TLD KG5400, but since the Flow is the only one that I know which size fits I don't want to experiment with the others. G-Forms.. well I think they must be a hit or miss kind of product. When it's a hit then they are excellent, when a miss, then mediocre protection. Reviews and riders' opinions are quite mixed. There are other lightweight knee pads like Bliss ARG Minimalist or Fox Launch Enduro too.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dusadus View Post
    Make sure you use the sizing chart and size UP if unsure.
    Absolutely. The G-Forms are great pads, but the sizing chart wasn't accurate for me. I should have bought the next size larger, even though my leg measurements were in line with what the chart said. The pads were a little too snug, making them uncomfortable for long rides. I ended up selling them and buying the Fox Enduro pads. I absolutely love them and usually forget I'm wearing them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I also vote for the G-Forms and agree with the others to order a size up. They feel more like knee warmers than pads. Very comfortable. The downside is that my knee pads only lasted for one season of tough riding. I still liked them enough to buy them again. At the end of the day, if the pads are not comfortable, then you will not wear them and I wear mine every ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Im not an enduro racer but aggressive on single tracks when possible. I've been using GForms for several years but as some here I haven't tested in a crash yet. My pals don't like GForms and claim the pads slid off the arm and knee during crashes. Perhaps they are the minority. I still believe the pads are good for initial impact but I can't help but have a little doubt on a bigger crash.

The latest pad shoot out got me curious so I ordered ELBOWPRO XT LITE - Slytech Protection
    Not as confortable as GForm but appear to offer more protection. I don't notice them on, breath well but are costly. Got them from another site for 75 w ship