Kids Full Face Helmets?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Kids Full Face Helmets?

Anyone have little ones using full face helmets? I don't want it for the coolness factor (it's not very "cool" here in AZ in the summer anyways) but for the safety factor.

My 4 1/2 year old boy rides on the Adams TAB just fine, but I've afraid that the basic foam core helmet just won't cut it on the trail if something goes wrong. I don't think he has the skills to try and protect his face if something goes wrong either.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    We got one for my 5 year old as it is a requirement of BMX. It would have saved 2 sets of stitches on son and daughter if they wore them. Having said that, we only use it at the track and the ski hill riding.

I worry about the weight of it and thus use a regular helmet the rest of the time.

Tough decision. At least they get a second chance on teeth!

huh?
    Jun 2008
    I have one for my boy. He's 9 and gets pretty crazy on the trail. He tries every tech feature he can, and I don't want to explain any injuries to the wife.

mtbr member
    Bunch of kids' full face helmets listed here - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/C...ategoryID=1109
    Most manufacturers do make them for kids.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Yes my son who was 15 at the time should have been wearing one while downhilling at Marquette (MI) mountain a couple years ago. He broke his thyroid cartilage (adams apple). It's okay now.
    Rich

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tacdad5x
    I have one for my boy. He's 9 and gets pretty crazy on the trail. He tries every tech feature he can, and I don't want to explain any injuries to the wife.

I have a solution for you get the wife to ride.

A few weeks ago I was telling the wife of our eldest's (5) latest exploits on a little neighborhood ride he was prefecting jumping off of curbs and the like, and I mentioned that he didn't quite get the step ups to get up on them without a handcap ramp/driveway and endoed quite a few times. Her 1st raction was did you teach him to pull up on the bar? Then she asked if he was OK after we talked about other parts the ride. like where all we went. She understands he will get injured on the bike at some point. The last major biek injury in teh house had her arm in a sling for a month.

Members who have read this thread: 0