Kids armor? X-Post, sort of...- Mtbr.com
    EDR

New question here. Kids armor? X-Post, sort of...

Hey, I'm in need of lightweight armor for the new mtb'r, my 9 year old son. Am looking for something he can actually ride comfortably in. I have found killer deals on these items:

1) 661 Veggie knee pads and Veggie shin pads, and
    2) 661 2x4 arm pad with the 4x4 shin/knee pad combo.

The Veggies knee and shin pads are seperate pieces while the 4x4 is one unit. Youth sized are available.

I asked a less specific question on the general forum then realized you guys here would be the experts.

Which of these two types would be best for a young trailrider? Or is this stuff overkill, maybe I should be looking at Target, huh. I don't know.

Thanks

Jun 2005
    I don't know if you're planning to let your little one ride downhill, but if he is, get the best.

My kid rides with Rockgardn knee/shin guards and body armor. The body armor is the Jr. Flak jacket and is one piece http://rockgardn.easystorecreator.co...parent_ids/0,1

The knee/shin guards are one piece and the only brand I found that gives his little body adequate protection http://rockgardn.easystorecreator.co...asp/Item_ID/14

Then under his riding shorts, he wears compression shorts with pads, like a football girdle. He also rides in a full face helmet (that is DOT/Snell approved) with goggle. I've seen my son take a few major headers and get up laughing because he had the right equipment. I consider it money well spent.

Don't you dare go to Target for the pads. The little ones need all the protection they can get and you'll be amazed at how fast they fly down the mountains. My little one's times were consistent with 30-35 year old beginning men in the races.

Hope it helps!

Photomom
    www.JodyGomez.com

Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Hey, I'm in need of lightweight armor for the new mtb'r, my 9 year old son. Am looking for something he can actually ride comfortably in. I have found killer deals on these items:

1) 661 Veggie knee pads and Veggie shin pads, and
    2) 661 2x4 arm pad with the 4x4 shin/knee pad combo.

The Veggies knee and shin pads are seperate pieces while the 4x4 is one unit. Youth sized are available.

I asked a less specific question on the general forum then realized you guys here would be the experts.

Which of these two types would be best for a young trailrider? Or is this stuff overkill, maybe I should be looking at Target, huh. I don't know.

Thanks

Jun 2005
    Just checked: Rockgardn is having a sale on some kid gear
    http://rockgardn.easystorecreator.co...0/Name/On_Sale

Photomom

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoMom
    I don't know if you're planning to let your little one ride downhill, but if he is, get the best.

My kid rides with Rockgardn knee/shin guards and body armor. The body armor is the Jr. Flak jacket and is one piece http://rockgardn.easystorecreator.co...parent_ids/0,1

The knee/shin guards are one piece and the only brand I found that gives his little body adequate protection http://rockgardn.easystorecreator.co...asp/Item_ID/14

Then under his riding shorts, he wears compression shorts with pads, like a football girdle. He also rides in a full face helmet (that is DOT/Snell approved) with goggle. I've seen my son take a few major headers and get up laughing because he had the right equipment. I consider it money well spent.

Don't you dare go to Target for the pads. The little ones need all the protection they can get and you'll be amazed at how fast they fly down the mountains. My little one's times were consistent with 30-35 year old beginning men in the races.

Hope it helps!

Photomom
    www.JodyGomez.com

EDR
    Thanks for the advice, I'm checking it out now...

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Thanks for the advice, I'm checking it out now...
    Good! Quality protective gear cost more but will hold up better than ToysRus.
    I spent good money on EVS for my son, he went through 2 knee/shin guards in 2 months once, split the knee cap but no knee injury. The cheap gear tends to twist & slid & the plastic is cheap. My kids are worth the price of safety .

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Good! Quality protective gear cost more but will hold up better than ToysRus.
    I spent good money on EVS for my son, he went through 2 knee/shin guards in 2 months once, split the knee cap but no knee injury. The cheap gear tends to twist & slid & the plastic is cheap. My kids are worth the price of safety .
    The evs and rockgarden as well as others look great but I wonder...do your kids trail ride comfortably in this type of gear or should I just look at buying knee pads (not full knee/shin pads) and some chicken wing type elbow pads. The money is not the issue as long as the kid can climb and ride regular trails comfortably, thats all i'm really worried about while deciding on what to buy. The lbs's don't have any youth size stuff in stock for him to try. -JB

ride hard take risks
    Kids will ride as hard as needed. It depends on what type of riding there parents are doing. If you just ride trails that are not very rough Chicken Wings will work. If you are planning on some rocks, drops, BMX, DJ then they will get used to real aurmor very easily. Kids addapt, they possibly wont like them in the beggining but will get the hang of them. Also if they do have to wear pads for knarly trails you should also, its fair . My son started BMX then went to DH so pads are manditory even for my old ars .

Members who have read this thread: 0