Kettle helmet rule?!- Mtbr.com
    newble
    Jul 2009

Kettle helmet rule?!

Hey so I was just talking with someone that told me helmets are required at Kettles.

I told him I didn't think so, but he insisted.

I wear one anyways, but I wanted to clarify, is there a helmet "rule" at kettles?

Thanks guys,
    Joe

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    If there isnt there should be.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm not aware of a helmet rule at the kettles, but I've always worn a helmet there and haven't stopped to read info at the trailhead in years, so it's possible though I kind of doubt it. I know it doesn't mention helmets on my annual trail pass.
    Obviously Rasper would prefer more rules. I prefer to make my own choices.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

newble
    Jul 2009
    I agree with trailville in that there shouldn't be any helmet rule. If you can ride a motorcycle with out it, you can ride a bike with out it as well.

I choose to wear one, not everyone does. This is a free country remember. ;-)

I need skills
    Jul 2004

Here is an option

Should only take a few modifications.
    Attached Images Attached Images

newble
    Jul 2009
    Exactly. Can't protect idiots from themselves :-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    A little chlorine in the gene pool is not a bad thing....

Dec 2008
    There is not a helmet rule there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 550
    I agree with trailville in that there shouldn't be any helmet rule. If you can ride a motorcycle with out it, you can ride a bike with out it as well.
    Not when it's on state property, when the state can be held liable for any mishaps. I'm pretty sure any state trail has a helmet rule posted on their signs somewhere. Then, if some uncoordinated idiot goes over the bars and cracks his head open they can just point to the sign and say it's your bad. If they didn't have the sign and told the same guy "Should have had your helmet on..." they could just fire back "Well how was I supposed to know?!"

Who the hell goes riding without a helmet though? You can be the best rider in the world and you're still going to crash eventually, there's just no preventing it.

newble
    Jul 2009
    It's called a liability waiver ;-) You sign up for a trial pass... you then admit your own fault.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggidy
    Not when it's on state property, when the state can be held liable for any mishaps. I'm pretty sure any state trail has a helmet rule posted on their signs somewhere.
    Have you actually seen these signs? I haven't. And State Highways are state property as well. As are some of the area bike paths and rails trails. I don't recall seeing any helmet required signs anywhere.

I wasn't absolutely sure there wasn't a helmet rule in the Kettles, but after reading your explanation, I'm convinced there is not.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

newble
    Jul 2009
    Only reason I could see a helmet rule is based on age. (only because I have seen it before.) I think children under 16 or something like that. There are some municipalities that do that. Never seen an officer pull over a kid for no helmet though...

Dec 2008
    Under 18 it is required. That is the only rule on it. The only reason I know is this was my first year and read the rules and regs. The same rule applies to people 18 and under on motorcycles in WI.

newble
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jredlin
    Under 18 it is required. That is the only rule on it. The only reason I know is this was my first year and read the rules and regs. The same rule applies to people 18 and under on motorcycles in WI.
    Now this I can see.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

IMBAcil

Have you ever been with someone who has a mishap and was very fortunate to be wearing their helmet. Twice I have seen helmets literally explode on impact. One had to be taken out by an emergency atv, the other got up, shook it off, and kept riding. Both were expert+ riders. One jumping and the other maneuvering a boulder. Want to keep riding? Please wear a helmet. The ground, boulders/rocks, and trees don't give like the head does!

newble
    Jul 2009
    I don't understand what your post had to do with this thread. But ok ;-)

I do ride with people who don't wear helmets. Unfortunately as much as I prod them to get one, they don't. They are however, adults and can make their own decsions.

Being an adult sucks doesn't it....

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Headphones on the trail

What about the issue of wearing headphones when you ride?

I hit somebody on the trail hard this year. Took us both down, going pretty fast. could have been avoided.

Came up on a rider, told him "on you left" 3 times. Once when I came up to him, once when I told him where I was going to pass him, and as I was passing him I said loudly "on your left". Well, he went to the right side of the trail which at that point in the trail was double track. Just as I was passing him, he came left. Clipped my bars, and we both went down hard. He did not hear me at all, and got up like I ran into him on purpose. Once I saw he had headphones on I was upset.

Anyway. Now when I see somebody, the first thing I look for is wires.

Members who have read this thread: 0