Just got my new MET Parachute yesterday- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    90

    Just got my new MET Parachute yesterday

    I got number 003 in the production
    It is much beefier than the old one.
    Still didn't get the chance to ride with it...

    It feels very comfortable, sizing is a bit larger than the old one.
    many adjustments for the rear retention system, including height at the back of the head.
    The chin straps are made of leather and padded with fabric at the inside, feels very nice and allows you to tighten the chin strap without feeling bulky plastic buckles at your throat.
    You get 2 cheek pads, thin and thick. I used to ride the old parachute size M and it was a bit tight, the new one is size M and feels very good with the thin cheek pads.

    Just got my new MET Parachute yesterday-img_20140727_145126.jpg

  2. #2
    Oni
    Oni is offline
    Master Of Fooliganism
    Reputation: Oni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    482
    I do like the looks of that helmet. Have fun.

    Oni

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    206

    Where did you buy it?

    Glad to see these have finally hit the market. Where did you buy yours?

    {Edit} - I see from your profile you are in Israel, not US. Anybody know if the MET parachute is available in US?


    Quote Originally Posted by liranbachar View Post
    I got number 003 in the production
    It is much beefier than the old one.
    Still didn't get the chance to ride with it...

    It feels very comfortable, sizing is a bit larger than the old one.
    many adjustments for the rear retention system, including height at the back of the head.
    The chin straps are made of leather and padded with fabric at the inside, feels very nice and allows you to tighten the chin strap without feeling bulky plastic buckles at your throat.
    You get 2 cheek pads, thin and thick. I used to ride the old parachute size M and it was a bit tight, the new one is size M and feels very good with the thin cheek pads.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140727_145126.jpg 
Views:	7753 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	911470

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,279
    chain reaction in the uk carried the brand at one point and they're easy to deal with for the US but i dont know if they are carrying the brand this year.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tiki View Post
    Anybody know if the MET parachute is available in US?
    It was my understanding that the US release was going to be in April, then July, and now the fall. US uses different certification standards than the EU does, and I think that is the holdup.

  6. #6
    Ipe
    Ipe is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tiki View Post
    {Edit} - I see from your profile you are in Israel, not US. Anybody know if the MET parachute is available in US?
    I found this on MET's Facebook page. According to this screen capture the US is looking to wait until about April 2015.

    Name:  909031d1405703715t-helmet-type-metparachute.jpg
Views: 2503
Size:  60.3 KB
    IBIS Mojo 3
    Norco Ithaqua 2s

    NEMBA

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Oni View Post
    I do like the looks of that helmet. Have fun.

    Oni
    Yeah same here. It easily ranks in my top 3 helmets judging from appearance. Congrats OP!
    Last edited by Max24; 03-07-2015 at 08:10 AM.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    145

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RS VR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,262
    I just tried...and prompted that they won't ship to the US.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    145
    Just got an email back from High on Bikes - Cycling Parts and Bike Accessories | Road and Mountain Bike Parts | Bicycle Components

    They will ship the parachute to the USA although he did say that it's not approved for the USA.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,481
    Well OP have you ridden with it yet?
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    206
    Thanks, Steve Podraza.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shining_trapezoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    222
    So have you ridden with it? How's the ventilation? Worth the price?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    145
    Good point. I don't need anymore med bills

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    883
    If you get this helmet shipped to the US, and something goes wrong with it while riding and causes the rider significant, long term problems/injuries, there will be no recourse through US law and regulation as the helmet had not been certified by the US.

    Meaning, there wont be a payout by the manufacturer for your medical bills. A certified helmet is a type of monetary protection, if you get hurt in a certified helmet and the injury was the fault of the manufacturer, then US law and regulation stipulates that the manufacturer has to pay 70-80% of your medical expense.

    I like the MET, but I'll wait to see if it gets certified for the states.
    Goodbye '95 ZJ. Just so you know, transfering box of left behind womens panties to next truck. Thank you ZJ!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,481
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmark View Post
    If you get this helmet shipped to the US, and something goes wrong with it while riding and causes the rider significant, long term problems/injuries, there will be no recourse through US law and regulation as the helmet had not been certified by the US.

    Meaning, there wont be a payout by the manufacturer for your medical bills. A certified helmet is a type of monetary protection, if you get hurt in a certified helmet and the injury was the fault of the manufacturer, then US law and regulation stipulates that the manufacturer has to pay 70-80% of your medical expense.

    I like the MET, but I'll wait to see if it gets certified for the states.
    No more so than getting hurt in a FF helmet that passes our useless standard. Nothing in the standard says anything about the chin guard, so if the chin bar fails oh well.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    883
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    useless standard.
    You're missing the point; that "useless standard" is what stands between you getting your medical bills payed by the manufacturer in case of product malfunction or defect leading to, or causing, accidental injury or death.

    Nothing in the standard says anything about the chin guard, so if the chin bar fails oh well.
    That chin bar is a functional piece of the helmet, and in US standards testing, all componentry to a larger component must pass, or the entire prototype fails US standards and safety and is not allowed to be sold in the US.

    I do like the fact that the country I live in has standards and safety inspections. You wouldn't want to live in a society that sells you products that have not been tested for toxicity and safety, because nothing would be guarantied, nor would an offered guaranty have to be upheld since there would be no standards.
    Goodbye '95 ZJ. Just so you know, transfering box of left behind womens panties to next truck. Thank you ZJ!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,481
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmark View Post
    You're missing the point; that "useless standard" is what stands between you getting your medical bills payed by the manufacturer in case of product malfunction or defect leading to, or causing, accidental injury or death.


    That chin bar is a functional piece of the helmet, and in US standards testing, all componentry to a larger component must pass, or the entire prototype fails US standards and safety and is not allowed to be sold in the US.

    I do like the fact that the country I live in has standards and safety inspections. You wouldn't want to live in a society that sells you products that have not been tested for toxicity and safety, because nothing would be guarantied, nor would an offered guaranty have to be upheld since there would be no standards.
    Are you saying the standards from other countries aren't as good as ours? I'd argue the opposite, but that's not the point.

    The point is you really don't understand helmet testing do you? The CPSC test is the same for half lids as it is for FF helmets and has NOTHING to do with the chin bar. It's not tested period.

    They strap the helmet in and drop it on to an anvil and measure the G forces, next test strap strength and then the retention system- that's it. No where is the chin bar tested. You could have cardboard as a chin bar on a FF helmet and it would pass the CPSC standard.


    Your line about all components to the larger component must pass is utter BS and completely incorrect.

    Here you can see the lab for yourself: CPSC Bicycle Helmet Test Lab - 2013

    Please, show me the chin bar testing equipment. So, yea, I'll trust the international ASTM-1952 over the CPSC.

    ASTM-1952 summary:
    This specification covers performance requirements for helmets used by downhill mountain bicycle riders. Studies have shown higher risk to the head and face for this sport as compared to recreational street riding; hence, this specification requires greater impact protection and provides performance criteria for chin bars on full-face helmets, but does not require full-face helmets. Retention system tests shall be performed before impact testing. The helmet can be impacted anywhere on or above the test line with the curbstone anvil in any horizontal orientation. The ambient test helmet shall be subjected to the chin bar impact test.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,481
    Here is another comparison of the ASTM standards compared to CPSC.

    ---ASTM has published the improved version of F1447, Standard Specification for Helmets Used in Recreational Bicycling or Roller Skating.
    The new version is the first ASTM helmet standard to use variable mass headforms for impact testing. The drop assembly that includes the smallest child headform now weighs 3.1 kg, while the assembly for the largest headform weighs 6.1 kg. Formerly all sizes weighed 5.0 kg, a convenience for the test technician but woefully unrepresentative of head weights in the real world.

    The greatest significance of the change is that helmets made for toddlers will have to have less dense foam in their liners. The lighter headform will not crush very dense foam, and would just stop immediately on impact, with a spike in g levels that represents brain injury. The less dense foam in child helmets will hopefully reduce the incidence of concussion.

    The less dense foam will occur in three other sizes as well, but the drop assembly for the large and extra-large headforms will weigh more than the old 5.0 kg. For those sizes manufacturers will have to either use denser foam or thicker helmets, or a combination of both. Although there was concern about the denser foam option, those helmets will be better able to handle the impact energy of a real-world large head.

    Very few manufacturers now certify to ASTM F1447. All who sell in the US market use the legally-mandated CPSC standard. We hope that CPSC will follow suit on the variable mass headform change, improving protection for the youngest helmet users.----


    The CPSC standard is from 1999, it hasn't kept up with all that's been learned about head injuries. The CPSC is doing bike riders a huge disservice. By sticking with an old outdated test system, US manufacturers don't have to meet stricter standards. The CPSC should throw out there requirements and just adopt the ASTM standards.
    Last edited by TwoTone; 08-21-2014 at 06:58 AM.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,782
    The old MET had a lot of complaints with the chin guard shattering on impact and causing lacerations that otherwise would not have happened with a open faced helmet. I wonder how the new helmet will compare. I've been very interested in this helmet for sometime now. I hope they got it figured out.
    Killing it with close inspection.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    883
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Are you saying the standards from other countries aren't as good as ours?
    I'm stating that the standards of one country are not the standards of another. That if I buy a product from a different country than which I live, that does not meet Standards and Safety of the country I am a resident of now, for whatever reason, then I will not receive a check for medical expenses from the manufacturer of the product I bought. I will be left holding the bill on a medical expense as my country would not protect me under consumer protections, because my government either had not tested yet, or it failed certain points during testing, or other reasons it is not certified for my region.

    If it is determined that the injury or death is certainly my fault, and not a failure of the device, I'm responsible for myself!
    Goodbye '95 ZJ. Just so you know, transfering box of left behind womens panties to next truck. Thank you ZJ!

  22. #22
    May contain nuts
    Reputation: Haggis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,333

    Just got my new MET Parachute yesterday

    America - land of litigation and medical extortion

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,481
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    The old MET had a lot of complaints with the chin guard shattering on impact and causing lacerations that otherwise would not have happened with a open faced helmet. I wonder how the new helmet will compare. I've been very interested in this helmet for sometime now. I hope they got it figured out.
    Did you miss the entire part of it being ASTM-1952 certified?
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,782
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Did you miss the entire part of it being ASTM-1952 certified?
    Your summary doesn't answer my question. Go back to arguing with pdxmark. Maybe I will catch something on a future post.
    Killing it with close inspection.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    8,481
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    Your summary doesn't answer my question. Go back to arguing with pdxmark. Maybe I will catch something on a future post.
    Yea it does, you just fail to recognize it.
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    883
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    America - land of litigation and medical extortion
    Seems like that!
    Goodbye '95 ZJ. Just so you know, transfering box of left behind womens panties to next truck. Thank you ZJ!

  27. #27
    I quit e-MTBR
    Reputation: OldManBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,210
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmark View Post
    I'm stating that the standards of one country are not the standards of another. That if I buy a product from a different country than which I live, that does not meet Standards and Safety of the country I am a resident of now, for whatever reason, then I will not receive a check for medical expenses from the manufacturer of the product I bought. I will be left holding the bill on a medical expense as my country would not protect me under consumer protections, because my government either had not tested yet, or it failed certain points during testing, or other reasons it is not certified for my region.
    What's your basis for saying this? Are you a products-liability lawyer? I'm not, but I would think as long as your country has jurisdiction over the defendant (and I would think personal jurisdiction is easily satisfied for MET in the US, without helmet certification) then you are able to sue. I'm not aware of any reason why US courts would say "well, that helmet wasn't certified in the U.S., so your products-liability suit cannot proceed." At most I'd think recovery might get reduced for contributory negligence.

    Again, I'm not a products liability lawyer, so if I'm missing something and pdxmark isn't just bullsh!tting about this too, please correct me.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    5
    Someones selling them new on ebay for $195, at the moment. Best deal Ive seen.

Similar Threads

  1. Met Parachute HES 2014
    By LB412 in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-10-2015, 04:31 AM
  2. Met parachute helmet in the US
    By Kinetic07 in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-06-2014, 01:27 PM
  3. MET Parachute helmet
    By Whason in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-21-2014, 06:52 AM
  4. New Met Parachute
    By Thumper71 in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-04-2013, 05:04 PM
  5. Met Parachute Helmets
    By Whason in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2011, 10:16 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.