just bought a helmet got a question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

just bought a helmet got a question

I just bought a helmet at my lbs today. its a giro E2. I looked under the helmet and it has production date of 2003. I am wondering if i should take this back and get a newer production date helmet or is this okay? I dont mind spending extra $ for newer helmet. I was looking at the fox flux or the giro xen.

Apr 2008
    2003? are you sure it's not a bad "8" in the date instead of a "3"?

I've always been under the impression that a helmet should be replaced every 2 years regardless of lack of wear or damage.

If this is misinformation someone correct me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong Steve
    2003? are you sure it's not a bad "8" in the date instead of a "3"?

I've always been under the impression that a helmet should be replaced every 2 years regardless of lack of wear or damage.

If this is misinformation someone correct me.
    yea it says :
    "Feb'03"

Apr 2008
    I would return the helmet. I was just informed that the life span of a helmet is 2 to 5 years depending on use (I usually put a dent in mine within the first 2 years and have to replace it). Even a helmet that just sits becomes weaker due to the effects of elements, like UV, on the Styrofoam.

Apr 2008
    I replace mine every year for my every day helmet and every two years for my MTB lid, as it doesn't get the massive amounts of elemental exposure.. Exposure to the elements, especially when we commute year round and our exposure is every day requires that we replace those more often.

Follow this link.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tpliquid
    I just bought a helmet at my lbs today. its a giro E2. I looked under the helmet and it has production date of 2003. I am wondering if i should take this back and get a newer production date helmet or is this okay? I dont mind spending extra $ for newer helmet. I was looking at the fox flux or the giro xen.
    Return it! Completely unacceptable. Helmets should be replaced every 5yrs or after a crash, whichever comes first (per the manufacturers). That an '03 helmet, which is now outside of the 5yr "rule", was sold to you as "new" is not something I'd let fly.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    you sure thats a manufacture date and not the DOT/ SNell spec. date?
    also , no UV in a box in a store , I dont think any degradation happens unless exposed to the elements i.e. sweat, sunlight

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    yea im pretty sure its manufacture date. I will go exchange it tomorrow for a fox one.

Exploreur de Citée

New question here.

W8, w8, w8... Guys I am a bit confused... It might be a bit off topic. But for replacing are you talking about buying a new one? Or replacing it with a new one for free?
    D.Xenotime

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Buying new ones.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    you sure thats a manufacture date and not the DOT/ SNell spec. date?
    The date on the sticker in the helmet is the date for THAT helmet. (I don't know if it is based on manufacture or inspection, but it is specific to the individual helmet). You'll get a scary lesson if you go into a shop with a largish stock and start looking at the different dates for all the "new" helmets of the same model and "year". "Identical" helmets can have different dates by a year or more on the stickers even when they are considered the same model "year"! (in my experience).

Regardless of wether or not you buy into the 5yr thing or wether you think it always happens or has to be induced by "uv, sunlight, sweat" it's unacceptable for a store to sell a helmet that is that old and not make it known. It's technically "out of date". What you do with your head when you get a helmet home is your business, but the OP bought a "new" helmet with the assumption that it was still well within it's expected lifetime (via the manufacturer). It wasn't and regardless of wether or not it may be "safe" he has more than enough grounds to get his money back and get a helmet that is in date IMO.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenotime
    W8, w8, w8... Guys I am a bit confused... It might be a bit off topic. But for replacing are you talking about buying a new one? Or replacing it with a new one for free?

Buying a new one.

I tend to replace my helmets every 2yrs (they show obvious wear by that point with how much I ride and carry a helmet around between classes).

Some/most manufacturers have crash replacement policies that give you a voucher/coupon for a flat rate or % off a new helmet if you mail your crashed lid back to them for testing purposes. I don't think any of those are "free helmets" anymore; more like 30-50% off. This doesn't apply if you just wear it out though (to my understanding).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tpliquid
    I have the Flux. it fits my head very well . The Xen is also an excellent helmt. maybe next time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Bell recommends 3 years:
    http://www.bellbikehelmets.com/faq.asp#6

Members who have read this thread: 0