Jersey UNDER body armor?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Jersey UNDER body armor?

this is a continuation on my jersey & armor research....my first post was sizing for over the armor, now i'm wondering if anyone wears a jersey or t-shirt UNDER their armor.

I tried my flak jacket on last night without a shirt under it.
    I just don't like the way it feels directly against the skin.
    Now I'm faced with buying a BREATHABLE shirt for under the armor (in addition to a long sleeve jersey for over the armor.

I'm thinking maybe a short sleeve Underarmor brand shirt that is comfortable and wicks the sweat away on these hot humid days.

I wore an old fox jersey last time, and it didn't breathe too well. I was ROASTING!

Any suggestions for a short sleeve???

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB
    this is a continuation on my jersey & armor research....my first post was sizing for over the armor, now i'm wondering if anyone wears a jersey or t-shirt UNDER their armor.

Now I'm faced with buying a BREATHABLE shirt for under the armor (in addition to a long sleeve jersey for over the armor.

I'm thinking maybe a short sleeve Underarmor brand shirt that is comfortable and wicks the sweat away on these hot humid days.

I wore an old fox jersey last time, and it didn't breathe too well. I was ROASTING!

My buddy got a couple of cheap polyester shirts ,w/o sleeves at Target and he liked that alot under his Flak Jacket. I usually wear a tee shirt underneath but I don't usually get too hot. I also wear a short sleeve jersey over my armor.

mtbr member
    I use patagonia capilene that is just like the under armor shirt.

Gangbusters
    Jun 2007
    I thought the same thing when I got my FJ but I tired it while I was riding and the body heat you generate warms/loosens up the feel of the mesh and I can't notice it at all. Try it! An under shirt will make you hotter.

Apr 2007
    I just wear a thin UA light wick shirt underneath mine.

dcubed
    Mountain Hardware wicks the best that I know of. Usually on sale at "Any Mountain"

Very light, you barely feel them on

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Good job! Under Armour Tactical Heat Gear V-Neck T-Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by freeriderB

Hi freeriderB,

I知 using the Under Armour Tactical Heat Gear V-Neck T-Shirt-Black 5040:
    http://www.goldmanbros.com/gc/custom...677&cat=100302

I used it twice last week at Northstar in Tahoe. The first day my car thermometer read 100 degrees when I got back to it at 1:20pm. The second day it read 96 degrees when I finished riding at 2pm. Both days I was warm but able to comfortably ride for a four hour session each day. I知 using a full face helmet, RockGardn Pressure Suit and Knee/Shin pads, Roach Elbow/Forearm guards, heavy DH gloves from Specialized and hip/coccyx pads under my overshorts. In other words I知 swaddled in protective gear. The Under Armour V-Neck T-Shirt made wearing the pressure suit very comfortable and I知 sold on these. In fact I just bought another one yesterday!

I hope you find something that works well for you,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Is it taboo to not wear a jersey over the armor? Why can't we just wear a jersey under the armor and leave it at that? Or does it just look silly to most people.
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

... and if we just ... Screw How It Looks to Others!

Quote Originally Posted by Quarashi
    Is it taboo to not wear a jersey over the armor? Why can't we just wear a jersey under the armor and leave it at that? Or does it just look silly to most people.
    Hi Quarashi,

I live and ride in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in CA near Tahoe and it gets hot here in the summer. Even going up to Northstar which is near 7000 feet it can be hot, hot, and hot. So I only wear a jersey under my pressure suit on those warm days and don稚 care what it looks like to others. We池e going to Whistler in a few weeks and I値l take an over-jersey in case it gets cool. Safety and temperature dictate the choice of my gear not the sartorial taste of other riders.

In fact I値l allow myself a small rant here and opine that there is far too much discussion on the 斗ook of one bike compared to another on the FR/DH board. Function over form doesn稚 seem to be a prevailing theme here. Given that most posters are young aggressive (one could even say testosterone poisoned) men it痴 surprising how much concern is expressed on looking a certain way. I think it would be interesting to see the reaction of the girlfriends, wives, mothers and sisters of these 澱ad biker boys to know how concerned with appearance their boyfriends, husbands, sons and brothers are.

Disclaimer: My comments aren稚 meant to injure or defame anyone and are meant to be taken in a light and humorous manner. I知 not interested in engaging in a 吐lame war with anyone. If looks are import to you as a rider I hope that you find one that makes you happy every day.

Have fun & be safe!

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member

no jersey?

I'm ok with no over jersey.
    The only thing I noticed was a large amount of dirt and dust stuck in my armor at the end of the day.

This is why I want to find a nice wicking shirt for underneath it.

mtbr member
    I use an UA tactical or Nike, sorry,can't remember the name of the Nike, anywayI found them both at TJ Maxx for about $10 ea. They work great.
    This after a crash I had while wearing my Flack which scrape the skin off my right shoulder.

Glad to Be Alive
    I run hot.......and I like mesh tank tops....the wicker kind that breaths
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Oh, So Interesting!
    The reason to wear a jersey over your armor is so you slide easier when you crash, which helps your armor stay in place better. I also wear a light synthetic tee under the armor. At least Keystone is at 10000 ft...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    "No jersey" approach is cooler, but if you crash your going to end up with alot of loose gravel and dirt all under the straps and such. At least with a shirt over the top you can usually just dust yourself off and go.

Members who have read this thread: 0